GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
the real question is what if someone signs Veleno to a $15 million offer sheet and the entire Wings front office drops dead out of pure shock and then someone signs Seider and Raymond to $4 million offer sheets but there's nobody around to match them because the entire Wings front office died from the shock of the Veleno offer sheet
The Burke technique. Classic.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
For context, Michael Rasmussen was seventh in face offs taken for Detroit last season. He took 500 less faceoffs than Veleno, roughly half as many as Fischer, about 100 less than Czarnik, who played about half as many games in the NHL.

the real question is what if someone signs Veleno to a $15 million offer sheet and the entire Wings front office drops dead out of pure shock and then someone signs Seider and Raymond to $4 million offer sheets but there's nobody around to match them because the entire Wings front office died from the shock of the Veleno offer sheet

That’s when the Sharks’ future considerations come into play. I’ll explain later.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricky0034

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
@Petes2424 on what he thinks will happen:
I’ve heard all kinds of things.. It’s gonna be interesting. I think they’d love to sign a Stamkos or even Stephenson or Lindholm, but definitely won’t count out Monahan. I think they’ll go after one aggressively, and also think they’ll likely re-sign Fischer (unless he gets money somewhere) and add a player who they can get some secondary scoring and/or pace the 3rd line. Even from the wing. I think DeBrusk may price himself out of that discussion. It’ll be interesting to see what Duclair gets. But that type of player, I think they’d love.

Then I still say they’re going after two dmen. Whether that happens tomorrow or in the next few weeks, we’ll see. They want two solid, top role playing Dmen to play with the kids for the next 3-4 years. Whether that’s Roy and someone with a little offense to play with Mo, or maybe they would sign Skjei or Zadorov and keep searching for Edvinsson’s partner. I don’t think they’ll sign 2 defensive Dmen, but Edvinsson will provide more offense as things move forward, so I wouldn’t be shocked.

If the Trouba thing goes down, I’m not sure that changes their goals tomorrow. He can either play with Edvinsson or drop down on the 3rd pair. They can play around with a player like him because Edvinsson and Johansson are on ELCs.

Still think Holl and Maatta are gone and if Trouba comes, I’d almost bet Petry gets bought out too.

It’s gonna be fun. I think the #1 goal is to make sure that Top 4 is as solid as possible, with both kids carrying the pairings. Its not out of the realm of possibility Chiarot stays with Mo, maybe a Roy is signed for Edvinsson, then Trouba plays with Johansson. Then sign someone like Kylington if Ghost doesn’t come back.

I think it’s a moving goalpost type thing with 31 other teams after some of the same players, but solidifying the D is crucial.

I wouldn’t count out him taking a run at Askarov either. He wants a goaltender he can ride. If that costs ASP or even Rasmussen, I almost think he’d do it. He’d then make sure Cossa/Augustine is included in the deal, and get a young forward in return too. But there’s a deal to be made if they rate Askarov as high as many do. Yesterday I heard ASP and Cossa/Augustine for Askarov and Tomasino. I think I would do that IF they rate Askarov that highly. I can’t evaluate young goalies. Just can’t. But I know Yzerman wants one he can ride.

So we’ll see. So many moving parts.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
i edited my post and tried to make it more clear before you sent this.

Just because you get an offer sheet doesn't mean the player has to sign it. In fact, if you are an actual negotiator, then you'd take the offer sheet and show it to Yzerman as a negotiation tactic. The offer sheet could be from Seattle and it could turn out Seider hates Starbucks so he wouldn't sign it in the first place.

You are coming from an angle that you believe any offer sheet would be signed if it was a ridiculous number. Sometimes...just sometimes...people don't always go for the money to go play in a place like seattle or wherever has a lot of cap space.

it'll be fine, I'm the designated survivor for the red wings front office.

I will definitely make sure that veleno offer sheet get's signed.

Well, you wouldn’t show it, you’d just say “w got an offer from X for this. Now, we’ll let you match without going through the process or maybe work on something a bit less than that because we really like what you’re doing here.

Shaman, you’re literally coming at this from “f*** everything else, I’m getting that biggest dollar” when the person being offered the deal is important.

I mean, Steven Stamkos 8 years ago took 8x8.5 to stay in Tampa versus scrambling up to Toronto for a rumored 7x13 or 7x14 and Canadian tire NIL through the wazoo.

If Seider was outwardly frustrated with the Wings and the relationship was strained in the media… I’d be more willing to believe your hypothetical worries. But as it sits, Yzerman has shown he treats players with respect in negotations even when he plays hardball. They’re going to talk and it would have to be an insane out of hand deal for Seider to sign the OS. Not 5x9.1

Reactions: Detroit Knights

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Well, you wouldn’t show it, you’d just say “w got an offer from X for this. Now, we’ll let you match without going through the process or maybe work on something a bit less than that because we really like what you’re doing here.
of course. I am just trying to show a completely different side of the same coin that shaman keeps throwing out there in this doomsday scenario. Just because they get an offer sheet doesn't mean they have to sign it!

Hasn't anyone here played be a GM mode in NHL. Man

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Shaman, you’re literally coming at this from “f*** everything else, I’m getting that biggest dollar” when the person being offered the deal is important.

I mean, Steven Stamkos 8 years ago took 8x8.5 to stay in Tampa versus scrambling up to Toronto for a rumored 7x13 or 7x14 and Canadian tire NIL through the wazoo.

If Seider was outwardly frustrated with the Wings and the relationship was strained in the media… I’d be more willing to believe your hypothetical worries. But as it sits, Yzerman has shown he treats players with respect in negotations even when he plays hardball. They’re going to talk and it would have to be an insane out of hand deal for Seider to sign the OS. Not 5x9.1

There are other considerations than money, obviously. Stamkos staying in Florida came with benefits like not having to deal with being in Toronto and the tax benefits. But, in the hypothetical where Yzerman offers a two year deal to his best young player that offers tens of millions of dollars of less guaranteed money for a hypothetical pay day in the future is different. Realistically I would be very surprised if Mo at least isn't locked up long term. Getting him from 23-31 at something like 8.5 million is smart business. It gets his almost his entire prime and no years of potential decline.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I dont want Askarov mainly because Nashville seems to be way overvaluing him. I don't care what the "package" is, I ain't giving up a first, high end center prospect, or high end defense prospect for him.

Goalies don't have that sort of value. Nashville are seriously out of their minds.

Last edited:
Reactions: iDangleDangle

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I would be nervous as hell to hand the net over to Askarov. I sure won't like handing them one of our goalie prospects and ASP to get him either.

I can’t sit here and say I know what will or won’t happen. But I can say that a trade involving all three of Askarov, Cossa, and ASP would is such a wildly unprecedented move that I wouldn’t lose sleep over it. A team packaging a first rounder from the year prior with a goalie prospect it just selected in the first round for another team’s first round goalie prospect is just like pure EANHL discussion.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
There are other considerations than money, obviously. Stamkos staying in Florida came with benefits like not having to deal with being in Toronto and the tax benefits. But, in the hypothetical where Yzerman offers a two year deal to his best young player that offers tens of millions of dollars of less guaranteed money for a hypothetical pay day in the future is different. Realistically I would be very surprised if Mo at least isn't locked up long term. Getting him from 23-31 at something like 8.5 million is smart business. It gets his almost his entire prime and no years of potential decline.

You’re not answering why a team like Seattle would blow out their cap structure for Mo Seider. He’s not a finished product, plug and play #1, Norris D. He’s really good. But he’s simply not a Cale Makar special type of player on the back end.

You’re Seattle and you go that hard on Seider… what does Matty Beniers demand? You’re also then attempting to fill 7 spots with 11m with a couple big future deals coming up and no big relief for the foreseeable future.

It’s simply a horrific value proposition for constructing their roster. That’s why teams so very rarely do them.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
No chance maata or holl are on this team come season start. Petry might be but he is gonna be an off and on press box sitter. I have a feeling fabbri won’t be either, waived and picked up by San Jose. That should free up a good chunk of space. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Stamkos, trouba, and roy all red wings by the weeks end. With Danielson, kasper and mazur all getting significant time with the team this season.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
This is what I'm daydreaming of right now (while working):

1719833198289.png

1719833266424.png

1719833226768.png

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
ASP+Cossa/Augustine for Askarov doesn't add up me at all. ASP was drafted because he was a player we didn't have in the system and after the a very good season, Wings would trade him for a goalie prospect? Good goalie prospect but so is Cossa, i don't how to evaluate goalies so this purely stat watching but Askarov's 1st full AHL season numbers are almost exactly the same as Cossa's.

Askarov 48 gp, 26-16-5 record, 2.69 GAA, .911 SV%, 3 SO and in playoffs 12 gp, 6-6 record, 2.70 GAA, .903 SV%
Cossa 40 gp, 22-9-9 record, 2.41 GAA, .913 SV%, 2 SO and in playoffs 9 gp, 5-4 record, 2.72 GAA, .900 SV%

Goalies are hard to predict and Askarov is still unproven in NHL and to give ASP in this trade as well, this sounds very negative trade for us.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
ASP+Cossa/Augustine for Askarov doesn't add up me at all. ASP was drafted because he was a player we didn't have in the system and after the a very good season, Wings would trade him for a goalie prospect? Good goalie prospect but so is Cossa, i don't how to evaluate goalies so this purely stat watching but Askarov's 1st full AHL season numbers are almost exactly the same as Cossa's.

Askarov 48 gp, 26-16-5 record, 2.69 GAA, .911 SV%, 3 SO and in playoffs 12 gp, 6-6 record, 2.70 GAA, .903 SV%
Cossa 40 gp, 22-9-9 record, 2.41 GAA, .913 SV%, 2 SO and in playoffs 9 gp, 5-4 record, 2.72 GAA, .900 SV%

Goalies are hard to predict and Askarov is still unproven in NHL and to give ASP in this trade as well, this sounds very negative trade for us.
Yeah, I'm not opposed to Detroit looking at Askarov, but I don't know that I'd be willing to part with the assets it would take if there are several bidders. Nashville could have all the picks they want, but I'm not dealing any of ASP / Danielson / Cossa, and I'd be very hesitant to include either of Augustine or Kasper.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Yeah, I'm not opposed to Detroit looking at Askarov, but I don't know that I'd be willing to part with the assets it would take if there are several bidders. Nashville could have all the picks they want, but I'm not dealing any of ASP / Danielson / Cossa, and I'd be very hesitant to include either of Augustine or Kasper.

No way we coukd land Askarov w/o moving a goalie back

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad