Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I would like us to bolster our secondary scoring - add Tarasenko and take a chance on A. Nylander. Whynot. I feel A. Nylander is a bit soft though, which we already have enough of that up front.

I agree we could really benefit from another ~40-55 point guy up front, though I do think with the addition of OEL, there's some hope that puck movement from the blueline will be improved, which could lead to more offence, particularly from our secondary guys.

Cowan and Grebenkin are also wildcards. I expect one of them will likely be in the NHL this season, and while I don't expect them to contend for the Calder, I don't think a ~40 point rookie season from Cowan for example is out of the question (it would essentially follow Wyatt Johnston's trajectory, who won OHL MVP in his draft +1, then played in the NHL the next year).

But even with the above comments, the #3 C spot in particular is one that we could really benefit from an upgrade.

Reactions: Rocker13

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Hakanpaa and Tanev would improve the PK

OEL should offer some decent offense

Term isn't ideal but after 2-3 years, Tanev will disappear to LTIR

Cap goes up etc, OEL may move to 3rd pairing for 1-2 years.
$27m for 2-3 years of Tanev is brutal. Hoping we get 4.

Heard Dallas had concerns with Hakanpaa's knee and so they passed and why we got him for cheap. Hopefully Leafs doctors are better than Dallas' and Hakanpaa is healthy for most of the season and playoffs.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

Marner saga reportedly turned some free agents away from Leafs | Offside

On an appearance on Kyper & Bourne from Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, one of the NHL’s top insiders suggested that Toronto media and fanbase hysteria around Marner has driven a few potential free agents away from considering the Leafs as a destination.

“It’s funny, one player told me that there are some players that have watched from outside, some players that have watched what has gone on with this whole Marner thing over the last month or two and have gone, ‘I want no part of that. I don’t want anything to do with that.’… I think people know Toronto’s [unique], some players were like, ‘nope, that’s not going to be me.'”

It's official. EF is spewing what he's paid to spew by MLSE. Spin away.

Hockey players are so thin skinned compared to every other major sport. Like as if LeBron James just went like you know what, I wanna play in Europe, the pressure is too much. Or if Tom Brady decided that his future was with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers to get away from the pressure. Fans are passionate and they will build statues and will give an infinite amount of praise for the smallest amount of success in Toronto, just look at Dougie Gilmour and Wendel Clark. But the downside of not having success is obviously going to create a lot of tension and toxicity.

If they don't want to deal with it, it's their choice and I certainly don't want them here if they can't handle it.
Put another way, the fans pay all the bills... would they prefer fan apathy?

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
It's crazy to me that Nick Robertson asked for a trade. Do I understand where he's coming from? Ofcourse. But, if he could just look at the roster and see how the LW is shaping up and how bad the Leafs need a LW goal scorer and he's absolutely primed to not just get ice-time but also have himself in an amazing opportunity to produce with good players and set himself up for really good contract negotiations the next few years.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
$27m for 2-3 years of Tanev is brutal. Hoping we get 4.

Heard Dallas had concerns with Hakanpaa's knee and so they passed and why we got him for cheap. Hopefully Leafs doctors are better than Dallas' and Hakanpaa is healthy for most of the season and playoffs.

It's not our money so if we get 2-3 years of Tanev at 4.5M aav, that's fine if plays like a top 4 guy.

Leafs PR hasn't officially confirmed Hakanpaa yet, I am wondering if it's the due diligence on Hakanpaa's medical.

Reactions: conFABulator

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I feel our acquisitions have not really improved the defense Corp which is really our biggest need as a team.

It really depends on what you are looking for, and how durable you believe these guys are. Tanev, if he stays healthy and doesn't decline, will be the best partner Rielly has ever had. OEL provides some secondary PP and is decent as a third pairing guy, can move the puck. Hakanpaa if healthy, is a good third pairing guy with physicality, and is an upgrade on Edmundson.

Tanev, OEL and Hakanpaa are upgrades over Brodie, Gio, Edmundson and Lyubushkin.. At least in my opinion.

Overall defensive play will really depend on Berube, how healthy and durable this group is, and goaltending. We also picked up Myers, Mermis and have Benoit, Webber and Hirvonen... so it's a deep group.

It's a better group at moving the puck, which we certainly needed. Depending on who is in the lineup, it isn't quite as physical... though McCabe, Hakanpaa and Benoit do provide what's needed, if they are all in the lineup at the same time... which seems unlikely.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
It's crazy to me that Nick Robertson asked for a trade. Do I understand where he's coming from? Ofcourse. But, if he could just look at the roster and see how the LW is shaping up and how bad the Leafs need a LW goal scorer and he's absolutely primed to not just get ice-time but also have himself in an amazing opportunity to produce with good players and set himself up for really good contract negotiations the next few years.
Barring an unforseen trade and a top-6 signing, he'll probably be given an opportunity to play on a scoring line with Marner or Nylander. He would've been better served to show up to camp, see how the early season plays out, and talk to management in November/December if he still wanted out.

I'm all about player empowerment, but personally, I would never request a trade publicly.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I recall Marner being a playoff performer before he signed his contract (remember that short-handed goal and last minute block that makes some commentators saying we should pay him whatever he wants?). It just occurs to me that the timing also coincides with Keefe taking over as coach, and he went through his first two playoff without any goals under Keefe. The coaching change also established our team's identity in making fancy passes that (in retrospect) only works in the playoffs (hence your call for him to simplify his game). So there is a good reason to hope that Berube's style will return the playoff-performing marner prior to keefe taking over.

That says, the contracts of our stars are not on par with the rest of the league. It's not only Marner but he (and his agent) took things to the public, which really destroyed his image and turned him into the whipping boy he became.

1-keefe system doesn't involve d in the offensive end and forechecking is pretty passive... That's help to hide a pretty awful D but at the same time completly destroy the team offensive and we saw the difference the day keefe step in vs columbus. A average team with below average goalie but was unable to create anything offensively. When you watched the game, it was looking like they had glue on blue line and D never left the blue line in the offensive end.

massive leafs contract start with JT contract who broke everything. When matthews and marner had to resign, it's becoming pretty hard to don't give them basically the same money.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It's not our money so if we get 2-3 years of Tanev at 4.5M aav, that's fine if plays like a top 4 guy.

Leafs PR hasn't officially confirmed Hakanpaa yet, I am wondering if it's the due diligence on Hakanpaa's medical.
Agreed. I get they wanted Tanev, but I'm thinking they could have made better use of $27m. Even so, why not make it 8 years and reduce the cap even further (3.375)?

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Issue with this team now isn’t even the the D, we can talk about the term for Tanev but I actually like the OEL deal. We need a 3C/3W or you move McMann down and get another top 6 forward. I think our D for at least n the next 2-3 years has improved big time we need more scoring up front

Reactions: TML Dynasty

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
There was a reason Treliving swapped seconds for one in 2025. He knows he’s going to need some ammo for the deadline. Scoring in the playoffs is obviously our weak spot

Reactions: aingefan

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Trade Timmons
Demote Murray, Webber, Mermis

Gives us:

Domi Matthews Nylander
Knies Tavares Marner
McMann Holmberg Robertson
Jarnkrok Kampf Reaves
(Cown/Dewar/Grebenkin)

Reilly Tanev
OEL McCabe
Benoit Lily
Hakanpaa

The 3rd line needs some help. Perhaps Cowan comes in and performs but that's a reach.
How do we free up cash for anyone? Gotta be Kampf/Jarnkrok right? Trade Kampf and replace with Dewar....Jarnkrok with anyone else. Gives approx 4.6m cap to add a better player to 3rd line. A C would be ideal and shuffle the remaining bodies.
If Hakanpaa was healthy id also advise to trade Lily but we need the depth if not.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Agreed. I get they wanted Tanev, but I'm thinking they could have made better use of $27m. Even so, why not make it 8 years and reduce the cap even further (3.375)?

We couldn't get 8 years unless it was a sign and trade, although maybe you do 7 years and get it to 4.25M

In the end, it probably doesn't matter much.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It really depends on what you are looking for, and how durable you believe these guys are. Tanev, if he stays healthy and doesn't decline, will be the best partner Rielly has ever had. OEL provides some secondary PP and is decent as a third pairing guy, can move the puck. Hakanpaa if healthy, is a good third pairing guy with physicality, and is an upgrade on Edmundson.

Tanev, OEL and Hakanpaa are upgrades over Brodie, Gio, Edmundson and Lyubushkin.. At least in my opinion.

Overall defensive play will really depend on Berube, how healthy and durable this group is, and goaltending. We also picked up Myers, Mermis and have Benoit, Webber and Hirvonen... so it's a deep group.

It's a better group at moving the puck, which we certainly needed. Depending on who is in the lineup, it isn't quite as physical... though McCabe, Hakanpaa and Benoit do provide what's needed, if they are all in the lineup at the same time... which seems unlikely.
Tanev is a stud when healthy but Dallas paying Boosh $2m more than Hankanpaa is a red flag.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
It really depends on what you are looking for, and how durable you believe these guys are. Tanev, if he stays healthy and doesn't decline, will be the best partner Rielly has ever had. OEL provides some secondary PP and is decent as a third pairing guy, can move the puck.
Agreed on Tanev, but I think that's selling OEL short. His matchup difficulty averaged out to pretty much bang on well, average last season, with 25-35 games up in the 22-26 min range. Based on last year, he's an exceptional (cup winning) bottom pair d, that's quite capable in the mid pair slot, and can give spot duty with top pairing minutes.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Washington is currently over the cap. If Oshie goes on LTIR they’re fine. If he doesn’t then they need to shed cap. They also have 6 NHL C’s (Strome, PLD, McMichael, Lapierre, Protas, Dowd). Protas is currently pencilled in for 4RW without Oshie in the lineup. He’s making 3.4M, doesn’t make a ton of sense given their cap situation. He should be a target for the Leafs at 3C.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Game 7 against habs - offensive zone turnover by marner when game was tied 0-0 (I can list many STUPID plays by marner in the habs series if you want)

Game 6 against bolts in OT (first time around) - stupid pass AND then STUPID DEFENSE (again could list many STUPID plays by marner if you want including Game 7)

Game 2 against Florida Leafs had a 2-0 lead and then Marner being a complete buffoon giving panthers the lead in the game and the momentum (at 1:50 mark)

Marner was a f***ing GHOST in that series against Florida

Game 7 against Bruins this year (I could add others from the series where he was complete ASS)

And ofcourse Game 7 OT Marner being a complete ASS

All you actually did was show how much people incorrectly focus on Marner.

1. Bad Rielly pinch? Who cares! Hyman floating around doing nothing? Who cares! Bad goal allowed by Campbell on a basic 2v2? Who cares! Marner gets the puck poked off his stick trying to enter the offensive zone with cover behind him? All Marner's fault!!!

2. Matthews hits a rut in the ice and falls down, allowing the opposition to take the puck? Who cares! Holl commits too hard to the side wall? Who cares! Bunting doesn't get back fast enough? Who cares! Campbell lifts his pad for some reason to allow the goal? Who cares! Marner does a basic flip clear to neutral ice, right towards Matthews, and then forces the streaking player to the outside on a basic 3v3? All Marner's fault!!!

3. A poor choice of pass by Marner to exit the zone, after Bunting fumbled the easy clear, but that results in a 4v4 with time to get positionally set. Somehow, still all Marner's fault for the eventual goal!

4. Stealing the puck in the offfensive zone and taking a shot... What a horrible thing for Marner to do!

5. Pastrnak blows by the whole team in defensive position and scores off a lucky ricochet? Let's put all the blame on Marner, who just changed on and was furthest up the ice!

Every player, especially a puck carrier, makes mistakes. Cherry picking moments over the past 4 years wouldn't say anything, even if your representation of these moments wasn't so inaccurate. Getting rid of Marner doesn't stop these things from happening. It makes it happen more, as worse players attempt to take on his responsibilities.
I recall Marner being a playoff performer before he signed his contract (remember that short-handed goal and last minute block that makes some commentators saying we should pay him whatever he wants?).
He was a playoff performer after he signed his contract too. Some fans just changed their perception of him because they got unjustifiably upset about his contract, and suddenly everything he did and said was bad.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Tanev is a stud when healthy but Dallas paying Boosh $2m more than Hankanpaa is a red flag.

A red flag for who? Dallas, for overpaying Boosh? Would you want him at that price? Hakanpaa got paid like a 6/7.. which is what we need him for. Boosh got paid like a 4... which I'm not sure is all that bright... I also wouldn't be holding Dallas up as a voice of reason here... they also signed Dumba to a 2 x $3.75 mil contract. :laugh:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Of course not. Our reaction to it hasn't been rational though.

Anyway, they're currently writing articles in New York blaming the captain's wife for not waiving his NTC. So I guess we're not that bad.
Trouba will move along because he’s smart enough to know when he’s not wanted, in the end this is a business decision not a jilted loved being dumped………

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Leafs improved while not handing out albatross contracts. Meanwhile, some leaf fans are disappointed/upset namely due to poorly managed expectations, and a little bit of ignorance.

The more I think about things, the more pleased I am with the results from the management team. This was always going to be our toughest year for us with Tavares’ contract coming off the books next year.

The Leafs clearly had just a few players on their radar for UFA, and made a point not to sign up to deals that would hurt them in the future.

Tanev - not a great deal at face value, but we all know how we are mitigating this. I was disappointed with the nmc at first, but realized Tanev isn’t moving. This is his last stop and that was important to him. So, it’s not really a big deal when we have cap relief via LTIR. He is the perfect partner for Mo Rielly. Those suggesting he isn’t a top pairing D don’t understand how defenders are paired.

OEL - loving this deal more and more each day. 3y @ 3.5 is great value for a second pairing D. make no mistake, he is a second pairing D. He has size, puck moving ability, QB’d FLA’s PP1. He can bring you offence and defence. Just a really good two way defender for almost half the price as Matt Roy. The fact that the leafs preferred this option over overpaying Zadorov or Roy should tell you all you need to know.

Stolarz- we will see, but the leafs got the guy they wanted. It was him or Brossoit.

we got A LOT better in D and Goal. In fact, we probably couldn’t get worse in goal compared to last season. We lost a few guys, but not really impact players. I still think we need to strengthen at 3C, but the offseason isn’t over (though some posters make it sound like the season is starting tomorrow).

Next offseason is the big one. I hope the Leafs brass has the same balls to handle Tavares the way TB did stamkos. If he signs for what we can afford, and shift to wing I am game. But we will need an upgrade at 2C.

Last edited:
Reactions: RomanianLeafs

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
A red flag for who? Dallas, for overpaying Boosh? Would you want him at that price? Hakanpaa got paid like a 6/7.. which is what we need him for. Boosh got paid like a 4... which I'm not sure is all that bright... I also wouldn't be holding Dallas up as a voice of reason here... they also signed Dumba to a 2 x $3.75 mil contract. :laugh:
It’s a red flag for the Leafs. Everyone is praising Hakanpaa as better than Lyubushkin, which he has been. Why did Dallas overpay Boosh instead of retaining Hakanpaa for much cheaper? What do they know that the Leafs don’t? They have been a well run organization for the last few years. I doubt they moved on at 1.5M because it didn’t make sense financially.

Reactions: rumman and ToneDog

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If Tarasenko is interested in coming here...I would just sign him now. Worry about clearing the necessary cap space later. You have until the start off the season anyway.

But go grab him now. I think he'd be a huge get for this forward group. Has played with Berube in the past and he would also get a lot of playing time with this group.

Tarasenko - Mathews - Marner
Knies - Tavares - Nylander
McMann - Domi - Jarnkrok
Holmberg - Dewar - Reaves
Maybe Berube wants no part in Tarasenko, didn’t he hold out on the ream while he was with the Blues? I think at the right price he could be a good add……..

Reactions: PromisedLand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad