Confirmed with Link: [EDM/BUF] McLeod + Tullio for Matt Savoie

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yep. And considering the moves are Ryan (turns 38 mid season), Brown (3 years left at 1.0), and Stecher (2 years left, coming off surgery), there’s a pretty decent chance they all clear too

Somebody on Oilersnation, I can't remember who, said why not send Perry down, and have him do the "I will retire if anybody claims me" thing? Makes some sense as well. Lots of options at any point.

Reactions: McDoused

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Wow so now we’re $354k over the cap, easy fix, send someone down, fit Kane on LTIR then call him back.

Holloway and Broberg still need contracts so it's more like ~2M over the cap still.

It's probably possible to just make it work by playing hardball with them and waiving everyone else but I'd expect another move honestly.

Reactions: russ99

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
What do you mean Tullio is just a throw in? 42 goals in the OHL, best of the group of Borgault, Savoie and Petrov.

I think you can make a case for any of those 4 being the best of the group. Savoie had better ES results, Bourgault has very lil shine of the 1st round left, I had Tullio ahead of Bourgault as well, but we have a tough roster to crack and they both enter waiver eligibility after next year. He has more utility then Bourgault. I have Petrov rated over all 4, but that’s cause I think he creates a softer landing spot for Beryozkin, who may have been our best forward prospect 3 hours ago.

What happened to him? He was in Bakersfield a couple of months ago

He wasn’t qualified. I wonder if he can come back on an AHL deal. Just weird not to see him here with his brother in the organization.

He just finished a season with 9 goals in 54 AHL games. I don't think Chaulk is the right fit for that group, but Tullio - compared to the other pieces - was for sure a throw in.

They are all throw ins for Matt Savoie.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I legit had to double check that this trade announcement didn’t come from a parody Oilers account when I saw it on X.

I would have given McLeod away for nothing. He is one of the softest players I’ve ever seen in an Oilers uniform and not someone you win with in the playoffs.

While I agree 100% with the general intent of your post, to be fair, Edmonton did just win 15 playoff games with him in the lineup (and they lost the one he missed).

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
I rarely to never comment on players playing outside the NHL because I'm in over my head on those topics, but a recent top 10 pick on a seemingly fine trajectory sure sounds like a pretty darn good return for a passable 3C we aren't even really sure we could afford anyways.

Ryan McLeod is a better player than his hate parade thinks he is though and this one is a bit puzzling because it doesn't really free up enough cap to solve that problem.
But neither does moving out Ceci alone. Combined, they do. My guess is Ceci also goes, unless we have an LTIR deal with Kane.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I kind of like going into the season with a bit of a hole on the fourth line.

There's always quality 4th line/3rd pairing guys on waivers to begin the year. They can finally capitalize on that now that they don't have a GM that doesn't want to hurt someone's feelings with a waiver claim.

I wonder if Noah Philp pans out and fills that role. I believe Stauffer mentioned the organization was interested in trying him at 4C to see if he can do it, since he had strong AHL season the year prior.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
He just finished a season with 9 goals in 54 AHL games. I don't think Chaulk is the right fit for that group, but Tullio - compared to the other pieces - was for sure a throw in.
You didnt watch Bako games at all did you? Petrov, Tullio, Borgault, etc. all took a step back. He had 13 goals as a rookie. Tullio is the best of those three overall. He will be an NHLer for sure and something we have been missing. Some grit, 2-way play with offense. Like the trade but to say he was a throw in is not correct. No way Buffalo does that deal with just a throw in of the likes of say a Carl Berglund or something. That would be a throw-in . They see something in Tullio

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I wonder if Noah Philp pans out and fills that role. I believe Stauffer mentioned the organization was interested in trying him at 4C to see if he can do it, since he had strong AHL season the year prior.
I hope Philp gets some time in Bako to get back up to speed after missing a year.

The nice thing with snagging a guy you have no connection to off waivers is you can put him right back on there pretty easily to give Philp a shot if he's blowing the doors off in Bako.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You didnt watch Bako games at all did you? Petrov, Tullio, Borgault, etc. all took a step back. He had 13 goals as a rookie. Tullio is the best of those three overall. He will be an NHLer for sure and something we have been missing. Some grit, 2-way play with offense. Like the trade but to say he was a throw in is not correct. No way Buffalo does that deal with just a throw in of the likes of say a Carl Berglund or something. That would be a throw-in . They see something in Tullio
I watched plenty of Bako. It's led me to the conclusion that Chaulk is killing our forward prospects slowly. Guy can't coach offense to save his life.

That being said, you said it yourself, Tullio took a step back. That hurt his value and left him as a throw-in.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I saw something in Tullio too. He will be a great 3rd line winger. But... We got Matthew Savoie. I mean this is amazing for us

Reactions: Duke74

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
I watched plenty of Bako. It's led me to the conclusion that Chaulk is killing our forward prospects slowly. Guy can't coach offense to save his life.

That being said, you said it yourself, Tullio took a step back. That hurt his value and left him as a throw-in.
It is interesting how those on here were saying they thought they would just get a late pick to take McLeod with his salary and then think that the addition of Tullio had NOTHING to do with get the package of Savoie they did.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I'm in shock. I can't believe the price and quality of player in return. We'll see how he continues so develop but this could be the start of a huge window if he even nears his potential.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I figured Mcleods value at max was a 2nd. We can pretty much rotate Ryan or AHL guys at 4C until the trade deadline and get a 4C or two for a couple late picks.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I hope Philp gets some time in Bako to get back up to speed after missing a year.

The nice thing with snagging a guy you have no connection to off waivers is you can put him right back on there pretty easily to give Philp a shot if he's blowing the doors off in Bako.

That's not a bad strategy, there's some value to be had on the waiver wire. Not used to us taking advantage of it but maybe with JJ leading the charge we could see that happen. And agreed, Philp would need sometime to readjust after year long absence.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Cyclists are a pox upon our society.

Normally I don’t really care but just had one blast through a full red light expecting the vehicles with the green light to just sit and wait while trying to get home during rush hour. I’ll just say that that was a decision alright

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
To everyone looking for holes or reasons why Savoie was traded, there is no deficiency there. He's a grade A+ prospect, but Adams is desperate so he made an overpay given we have a huge prospect pool. That's all there is to it. No need to be looking for ulterior motives or angles. Just enjoy Savoie!

Edit: sorry I didn’t realize you were a Buffalo poster, not trying to put salt in. I do think McLeod will have a positive impact on your NHL roster this year. Have a good one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad