GDT: Free Agent Frenzy!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Attachments

• IMG_8913.jpeg
    IMG_8913.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 3

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I gave him the benefit of the doubt going into year 1, but after how badly that turned out I thought it was obvious he was worse. It's been kind of surreal to see how steadfastly many on this board have been with their support for him over the last 5 years.

He has done next to nothing to improve this team in the 5 years he's been in charge.
Who has steadfastly supported him? The strongest praise from the start on this board have been things like "he's an unorthodox hire, but let's see how he does" or "his job is harder than other GMs because of state income tax". Hardly high praise.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I think I'm about to hop in the "Pegula is cheap" camp. I haven't been in the past, but when you combine the lack of upkeep on the arena and going into nearly every season with a bunch of cap space (even making trades to reach the cap floor without spending actual cash) it's getting hard to ignore.

Maybe he wasn't always cheap when it comes to the Sabres, but I think he is now. Maybe he got bored with his hobby.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm glad I missed the presser, but it's zero surprise to me that KA sounded like he was done, or otherwise satisfied with the roster moves today.

He OBVIOUSLY had no idea what he was doing when he traded Mitts. No idea what he had in Mitts, no idea what he had compared to TT and Cozens. No idea what Krebs is, and I suspect no idea that Byram is not the total stud he looked like in the SCF from two years ago.

So for now he flipped Skinner for a past-prime Zucker with no real cap advantage, and flipped Mitts for Lafferty so he can play Krebs above his ability...maybe trying to make the Eichel trade look better...who knows. I do like the 4th line guys though.

But...BUT...we get Byram to share ice time and role with two #1 drafted LHDs.

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
As much as I hate Harrington, I appreciated him forcing the issue on the salary cap space. Adams ducking it repeatedly and hiding behind the "we need it for futures" as if tons of other teams are consistently going into seasons $20M under the cap was pathetic.

To add on, the whole "we don't need more offense" talk after a season that saw your entire top 6 struggle to produce...I feel like Kevyn is too bad at his job to even *realize* he's bad at his job
To be fair, most other teams probably don't have a quarter of their contracts expiring all at once on players they want to retain. I said it earlier today and I don't think anyone noticed, if the Sabres signed all FAs today to multi-year deals and filled up the cap space, there would be no relief next year to resign Quinn, Peterka, Levi, Byram, and whatever they decide on Greenway. They really do need some money for futures unless you don't want those players on your team anymore.

We're 2 years removed from being the 3rd highest scoring team in the league and we missed the playoffs. Last year the Panthers scored 20 goals more than the Sabres and won the Cup. IMHO I think the idea that we need to play run-and-gun and outscore teams 5-4 in order to win games should be shot dead and buried. I'm just as happy winning games 2-1 like Florida if Ruff can get the team simply to buy in to being responsible and harder to play against.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I think I'm about to hop in the "Pegula is cheap" camp. I haven't been in the past, but when you combine the lack of upkeep on the arena and going into nearly every season with a bunch of cap space (even making trades to reach the cap floor without spending actual cash) it's getting hard to ignore.

Maybe he wasn't always cheap when it comes to the Sabres, but I think he is now. Maybe he got bored with his hobby.
The arena is being renovated as we speak and this team will have about 7 - 8 million in cap space if they stay put. He is also paying Granato to not be here and probably some other people too. This would be the exact opposite of cheap.

Reactions: BuffaloGooner

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

If we end up with 8 mill cap space ..I will join that camp as well

Reactions: RWatson29

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I'm glad I missed the presser, but it's zero surprise to me that KA sounded like he was done, or otherwise satisfied with the roster moves today.

He OBVIOUSLY had no idea what he was doing when he traded Mitts. No idea what he had in Mitts, no idea what he had compared to TT and Cozens. No idea what Krebs is, and I suspect no idea that Byram is not the total stud he looked like in the SCF from two years ago.

So for now he flipped Skinner for a past-prime Zucker with no real cap advantage, and flipped Mitts for Lafferty so he can play Krebs above his ability...maybe trying to make the Eichel trade look better...who knows. I do like the 4th line guys though.

But...BUT...we get Byram to share ice time and role with two #1 drafted LHDs.
That is some wild conjecture

Reactions: Vito_81

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
“Hey Terry. Yeah Necas… no, it’s pronounced Necas, yeahwell, he seemed great on paper, but he doesn’t like the Goo Goo Dolls, man. Just isn’t a good fit.”

That wasn’t the G word. I thought you were going to use there. We’ve already seen that in their decision-making.

• Haha
Reactions: zenthusiast

Ad

Ad

Ad