GDT: Free Agent Frenzy Today at Noon EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is most likely moved July 13?

• Horny

Votes: 32 49.2%
  • Duclair

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Bobrovsky

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • No one

Votes: 28 43.1%

• Total voters

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
i'm already wondering if we'd be able to keep one/both! idk how the math will work out but i was guessing huby would be getting most of yandle's buyout $. guess horny will be coming of the books, tho? maybe cap will go up.

We will get 13M in cap relief next year (Yandle, Gudas, Darling, Hornqvist)…

Don’t really think Huby, Weegs and Knighter eat all of that on their new contrat.

We will have a LITTLE bit of room… And can get even more if we want, by trading either Duclair or Montour.

It shouldn’t be THAT bad next year you know… It depends on what kind of magic Zito can work out !

This year would always be HELL because of f***ing Ironman Yandle and his vetoing of trades !!! :(

Reactions: zeroG

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Well, Zito is disingenuous about how it came being that he doesn't have the cap space. It's not like some divine intervention made him to trade Panthers' first round picks for essentially nothing and not buyout Hornqvist. Zito is no different than Tallon in regards to trusting and giving the rookies a fair chance at establish themselves at the NHL level. Tallon was notorious for saying that he wants 10-15 of his draftees to play for the Panthers and then in every free agency he goes out there and spends every cap dollar available to him.
Buying out hornquist woukd be incredibly stupid

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Will come to comment time to time because of Balcers. Don't throw me out.:laugh:
Takes a lot of Balc-ers to hang around these parts Mr. Sillers

I will see myself out baby.

As a big time Dallas Mavericks fan, I love that I get to root for another Latvian. I am of course speaking about the Legendary Davis Bertans. THEE LATVIAN LASER

1657831310204.png

When opening season arrives, we shall be making a Rudolfs Balcers version of this shirt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Know nothing about Balcers but everyone posting so far on the thread about him in the trade forum seem to really like the pickup, especially for the cost.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The Gaudreau contract probably puts negative pressure on Huby's hit tbh. Same age and production

How could it?

Gaudreau left money on the table to go to Columbus.

That’s a great comp for anyone that wants to sign Huberdeau

Weegar is a good d that stays healthy and can play both sides. Just as important as forsling. He needs to be resigned. He is a top 3 dman easily and needs to be locked up.

If our core plays better without being timid little bitches they can get past round 2.

Huberdeau is the longterm past 30y deal I’m betting on.

Getting hugely risky if they have both Huberdeau and Weegar on massive UFA deals on top of what ever will be left of Bobs contract to deal with.

The cap will be extremely tight for years.
Not to mention they somehow need to be able to upgrade the roster

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Opening night roster is pretty much set, obviously you can mess with lines but

Verhaeghe-Barkov-Reinhart
Huberdeau-Bennett-Denisenko
White-Lundell-Horny
Balcers-Luo-Cousins

Ryan Lomberg

Weegar-Ekblad
Forsling-Gudas
Carlsson-Montour

Marc Staal

Bob
Knight

It's fine, I wish so badly we could bring last year's post TDL team to this year as the Atlantic is weaker but again this is a 110 point team. Decisions to be made if Duclair comes back but yeah it's all set for now.

They seriously can’t put Lundell with 2 offensive black holes.

His development is way too important

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
How could it?

Getting hugely risky if they have both Huberdeau and Weegar on massive UFA deals on top of what ever will be left of Bobs contract to deal with.

I think we agree: I mean negative price-pressure,. i.e. the price for Huberdeau will be lower than before. I wouldn't be shocked--adjusting for age and taxes-- Huberdeau will sign for less than 10M now

Reactions: BB88

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
The Balcers signing tells me two things:

1) They see White as a stop gap for Dulcair in the top 6. We have an overabundance of bottom 6 guys competing for spots. They wouldn't bother signing White if they were going to play him 10 min per night and scratched half the time.

2) They have zero intention of playing Heponiemi and Denisenko.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Eh, I was one of the most critical of Zito's TDL, but let's not go overboard here.

The reason why we're in cap hell is not Zito: it's on Tallon and Rowe. Let's look at the contracts Zito had to deal with:
- Matheson; considered untradeable at one point at 4.8x6. Sure he turned it around in Pittsburgh, but imagine if he were still here and still playing like shit? Swapping him for Hornqvist is still a massive win, even if it worked out great for Pittsburgh too.
- Yandle with his NMC over 6M cap hit; had to be bought out (which is why we're screwed this offseason).
- the Darling buyout (for Reimer) - still screwing us this year (at least it's just 1.2 mill at this point and will be gone soon)
- Connolly and his 3.5Mx2 cap hit (just got bought out by Chicago). Zito traded him, Borgstrom (also just bought out), Stillman (n.6 D) and a 7th rounder - we got back a whatever in a few weeks of Wallmark and Lucas Carlsson (looks like the Stillman replacement at least in terms of value)
- Strallman at 5.5M (traded away for a 2nd rounder and Kolyachonok)
- the Bob albatross, still there and signed for four more years - the only guy on this list that Zito couldn't address.

Yes, Zito handled the TDL poorly, but show me a single bad contract signed on his watch. And as much as we've (rightfully) criticized the TDL: Chiarot for a 1st + Smilanic was a bad target and bad overpayment, but let's say Zito targeted Kulak like we wanted - he cost this year's 2nd round pick, a 7th and a depth D. We did need a defenceman, especially once Ekblad went down - there was no question we were getting someone. So say Zito does it "right" - he trades Kulak for our 2023 2nd (2022 was traded away to acquire Bennett) and Smilanic to ballance out the rest. The difference between the two is the difference between a late 1st and a (probably mid-to-late) 2nd - what's the value difference, about a 3rd round pick? (And then obviously we could have also re-sign Kulak, but then again, we could have still signed him in FA - Edmonton only confirmed him yesterday).

I don't love that we paid a 1st+Tippett for Giroux since he only wanted to come here, but the market price is about right and he was clearly an asset: he had 23 points in 18 RS games for us and 8 points in the playoffs. If we don't add him, do we even make it to the second round? Toronto was 7 points behind us; we had 2 OT victories over them where Giroux had 5 points - if they win both of those in OT, they're just 3 behind, if in regulation, they're 1 point behind us. So maybe they beat us for the division and we play Tampa in round 1, or maybe we don't make it out of the 1st round without Giroux's playoff contributions against WSH (he had 3 points in the game 6 OT win). Again, I'm not sure I would have made the same decision as Zito - but for what he paid, he got the value - team won the President's trophy and more importantly made it into round 2 for the first time in 26 (!) years .

So maybe if Zito passes on Giroux or on Chiarot, we have the assets to trade Hornqvist. Then again, the value difference between Chiarot and Kulak was not that high, and Giroux was a clear asset to our run. On top of that, ditching pricey contracts has shown to be expensive lately in cap-frozen NHL - just look at Vegas having to actually give up a prospect to move 1 year of Paccioretty. If a top6 guy and .ppg producer (albeit recently injured) costs a minor prospect to move, what would it cost to move a 4th liner who's paid essentially the same cash and commands just 1.7 mill less cap space?

Buying out Hornqvist would free up enough money for Marchment for this year, but it'd be also on the cap next year - and we might need the cap space then. Even if we don't, do we feel safe betting 4.5Mx4 on Marchment? I like him, he's been amazing this year, but he's had exactly one year when he has produced at this rate - and unlike Marchesseault or Verhaeghe, he doesn't have the precedent of producing a lot at lower level. He will probably be worth it, but if he isn't, he could handcuff us again to a contract we wouldn't be able to move - and we have zero margin for error with our big contracts in Bob, Barkov etc. Him being injury prone doesn't help either.

TL;DR: As much as the TDL was questionable and acquiring Chiarot was an overpayment, cap hell is not on Zito and I think he made the right call with Marchment. Keeping Hornqvist sucks, but it might be the least bad option in our situation.

This right here is all 100% spot on. I'm really happy with what Zito has done with the hot mess he inherited. I can't be too upset about the TDL splurge. What's done is done, and it shouldn't cripple the team.

FWIW I like the signings we have made. Zito continues to find value from the pro scouting department.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Eh, I was one of the most critical of Zito's TDL, but let's not go overboard here.

The reason why we're in cap hell is not Zito: it's on Tallon and Rowe. Let's look at the contracts Zito had to deal with:
- Matheson; considered untradeable at one point at 4.8x6. Sure he turned it around in Pittsburgh, but imagine if he were still here and still playing like shit? Swapping him for Hornqvist is still a massive win, even if it worked out great for Pittsburgh too.
- Yandle with his NMC over 6M cap hit; had to be bought out (which is why we're screwed this offseason).
- the Darling buyout (for Reimer) - still screwing us this year (at least it's just 1.2 mill at this point and will be gone soon)
- Connolly and his 3.5Mx2 cap hit (just got bought out by Chicago). Zito traded him, Borgstrom (also just bought out), Stillman (n.6 D) and a 7th rounder - we got back a whatever in a few weeks of Wallmark and Lucas Carlsson (looks like the Stillman replacement at least in terms of value)
- Strallman at 5.5M (traded away for a 2nd rounder and Kolyachonok)
- the Bob albatross, still there and signed for four more years - the only guy on this list that Zito couldn't address.

Yes, Zito handled the TDL poorly, but show me a single bad contract signed on his watch. And as much as we've (rightfully) criticized the TDL: Chiarot for a 1st + Smilanic was a bad target and bad overpayment, but let's say Zito targeted Kulak like we wanted - he cost this year's 2nd round pick, a 7th and a depth D. We did need a defenceman, especially once Ekblad went down - there was no question we were getting someone. So say Zito does it "right" - he trades Kulak for our 2023 2nd (2022 was traded away to acquire Bennett) and Smilanic to ballance out the rest. The difference between the two is the difference between a late 1st and a (probably mid-to-late) 2nd - what's the value difference, about a 3rd round pick? (And then obviously we could have also re-sign Kulak, but then again, we could have still signed him in FA - Edmonton only confirmed him yesterday).

I don't love that we paid a 1st+Tippett for Giroux since he only wanted to come here, but the market price is about right and he was clearly an asset: he had 23 points in 18 RS games for us and 8 points in the playoffs. If we don't add him, do we even make it to the second round? Toronto was 7 points behind us; we had 2 OT victories over them where Giroux had 5 points - if they win both of those in OT, they're just 3 behind, if in regulation, they're 1 point behind us. So maybe they beat us for the division and we play Tampa in round 1, or maybe we don't make it out of the 1st round without Giroux's playoff contributions against WSH (he had 3 points in the game 6 OT win). Again, I'm not sure I would have made the same decision as Zito - but for what he paid, he got the value - team won the President's trophy and more importantly made it into round 2 for the first time in 26 (!) years .

So maybe if Zito passes on Giroux or on Chiarot, we have the assets to trade Hornqvist. Then again, the value difference between Chiarot and Kulak was not that high, and Giroux was a clear asset to our run. On top of that, ditching pricey contracts has shown to be expensive lately in cap-frozen NHL - just look at Vegas having to actually give up a prospect to move 1 year of Paccioretty. If a top6 guy and .ppg producer (albeit recently injured) costs a minor prospect to move, what would it cost to move a 4th liner who's paid essentially the same cash and commands just 1.7 mill less cap space?

Buying out Hornqvist would free up enough money for Marchment for this year, but it'd be also on the cap next year - and we might need the cap space then. Even if we don't, do we feel safe betting 4.5Mx4 on Marchment? I like him, he's been amazing this year, but he's had exactly one year when he has produced at this rate - and unlike Marchesseault or Verhaeghe, he doesn't have the precedent of producing a lot at lower level. He will probably be worth it, but if he isn't, he could handcuff us again to a contract we wouldn't be able to move - and we have zero margin for error with our big contracts in Bob, Barkov etc. Him being injury prone doesn't help either.

TL;DR: As much as the TDL was questionable and acquiring Chiarot was an overpayment, cap hell is not on Zito and I think he made the right call with Marchment. Keeping Hornqvist sucks, but it might be the least bad option in our situation.
Great post LGC!

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I will offer one little criticism: Would have liked to see them get Balcers for more than a one year rental. I think he's gonna do real well here.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Screenshot_20220714-183058_Samsung Internet.jpg

Not saying this should be the everyday depth chart, lines will be jumbled around by Maurice but that depth chart there would have 7 players drafted from our organization which is kind of impressive, it's a 1/3 of the lineup.
Wouldn't think too many teams have 8 or more in their lineup.

Also, I count 7 C's there which Zito loves, the defense worries me again but some of Maurice's teams have been top 10 in GA/G along with his offenses but it's the wild swings in between or consistency that is baffling.

This is gonna be more of a CBJ style identity in hard work it seems.
We know we can score on the rush, need to learn how to create new opportunities in OZ.
Not much turnover other than bottom 6, will miss Marchment a fair bit but glad he got paid.

I think our PK will improve, some of the bottom 6 guys added are hungry for another contract. Blocking shots and playing a relentless forecheck/board battle style earns them those deals.

Feel our offense will drop .5 GF/G which would be around 3.6-3.7 IIRC but our defense will improve along with the PK.
Teams will know how to clog up our rush attack better this year.
I don't think we're as aggressive offensively with pinches but smarter with puck down low and not always resetting to the blueline where turnovers have cost us.

It's unfortunate Zito has to wait out the final dead cap dealings of prior management but with Lundell and Knight looking to be core pieces, we need to hit on a couple prospects who can produce 75% of their draft potential.

Zito has found two key bargain bin finds in Verhaeghe and Forsling, he may find another one and most of these deals end this year or next, easily moved for (more likely Huberdeau deal) and possibly Weegar, if not him, get Forsling done next offseason.

Feel we're in good hands with Zito and ownership, the attendance is growing, the playoff games are accumulating for the core and in another year or two, the window for a true contender will open again.
As is, feel it's closer to a 65% chance of 3rd in Atlantic finish with a 35% chance of Wildcard spot.

Been saying for a couple years, Ottawa is building something and feel they are gonna be a handful, they hit 90-95pts, it will keep us on our heels.
That's a 17-22 point (9 to 11 wins) increase for them but they've definitely added at least 6-7 wins already.
If they add another top 4 defenseman and it's gonna be a grind in the Atlantic with a better Detroit team as well, not a playoff team but just makes our path to playoffs that much harder.

Haven't looked in depth at schedule but thought I saw 10-11 b2bs so expect 3-4 prospects to get 20-30 games in with that and injuries.

Would be shocked if we don't finish right around 100-108pts.
The Atlantic won't be so top 3 heavy, will be a 4 team race.

Just some thoughts from TIP.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
How could it?

It won’t be more than ekblad. Term
Is fine . There is no replacement in sight for weegar

Great8Cam

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2008
Klingberg is looking for 1year, get him. Trade Weegar for picks and give the $ to Klingberg. I’m sure he wants more, but it’s just one year.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
View attachment 569394

Not saying this should be the everyday depth chart, lines will be jumbled around by Maurice but that depth chart there would have 7 players drafted from our organization which is kind of impressive, it's a 1/3 of the lineup.
Wouldn't think too many teams have 8 or more in their lineup.

Also, I count 7 C's there which Zito loves, the defense worries me again but some of Maurice's teams have been top 10 in GA/G along with his offenses but it's the wild swings in between or consistency that is baffling.

This is gonna be more of a CBJ style identity in hard work it seems.
We know we can score on the rush, need to learn how to create new opportunities in OZ.
Not much turnover other than bottom 6, will miss Marchment a fair bit but glad he got paid.

I think our PK will improve, some of the bottom 6 guys added are hungry for another contract. Blocking shots and playing a relentless forecheck/board battle style earns them those deals.

Feel our offense will drop .5 GF/G which would be around 3.6-3.7 IIRC but our defense will improve along with the PK.
Teams will know how to clog up our rush attack better this year.
I don't think we're as aggressive offensively with pinches but smarter with puck down low and not always resetting to the blueline where turnovers have cost us.

It's unfortunate Zito has to wait out the final dead cap dealings of prior management but with Lundell and Knight looking to be core pieces, we need to hit on a couple prospects who can produce 75% of their draft potential.

Zito has found two key bargain bin finds in Verhaeghe and Forsling, he may find another one and most of these deals end this year or next, easily moved for (more likely Huberdeau deal) and possibly Weegar, if not him, get Forsling done next offseason.

Feel we're in good hands with Zito and ownership, the attendance is growing, the playoff games are accumulating for the core and in another year or two, the window for a true contender will open again.
As is, feel it's closer to a 65% chance of 3rd in Atlantic finish with a 35% chance of Wildcard spot.

Been saying for a couple years, Ottawa is building something and feel they are gonna be a handful, they hit 90-95pts, it will keep us on our heels.
That's a 17-22 point (9 to 11 wins) increase for them but they've definitely added at least 6-7 wins already.
If they add another top 4 defenseman and it's gonna be a grind in the Atlantic with a better Detroit team as well, not a playoff team but just makes our path to playoffs that much harder.

Haven't looked in depth at schedule but thought I saw 10-11 b2bs so expect 3-4 prospects to get 20-30 games in with that and injuries.

Would be shocked if we don't finish right around 100-108pts.
The Atlantic won't be so top 3 heavy, will be a 4 team race.

Just some thoughts from TIP.
You need to take out Denisenko to be cap compliant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad