GDT: Free Agent Frenzy Today at Noon EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is most likely moved July 13?

• Horny

Votes: 32 49.2%
  • Duclair

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Bobrovsky

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • No one

Votes: 28 43.1%

• Total voters

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
i wish i can go to work and do a shitty job like Jonas "We Got Dunked 10 Against Montreal" Johansson and still be employed. This guy has zero business on the NHL.

It's bizarre. I don't think I've ever seen anyone that poorly on an NHL rink. Emergency backup goalies perform better than this guy.

Reactions: wampa13jku

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Verhaeghe - Barkov - White
Huberdeau - Bennett - Reinhart
Luostarinen - Lundell - Hornqvist
Cousins - Staal - Lomberg
Heponiemi

Weegar - Ekblad
Forsling - Gudas
Carlsson - Montour
Staal

Not saying that I like it, but if I had to guess.

They seriously can’t do that to Lundell and his development.

Also White as 1Rw would be a big no no

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Ekblad
Weegar
Forsling
Gudas
Montour
Staal
Carlsson
Kiersted

If we keep and re-sign Weegar, this isn't bad heading into this season. More or less unchanged.

If we move Weegar without a replacement in place, that's a different story.

Reactions: kerrabria

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Wasn't expecting much today, but still really disappointed we didn't get to keep March. He was a good player who maybe just had bad injury luck. Liked that he found his game with us too. Would have felt the same way if we let Vergy walk too.

I'm guessing we could have got it done at 4x$3.5-4M if Carolina was close and Dallas upped them at $4.5M. Don't get keeping Horny instead of March. I really like Horny and what he brings, but March is younger and brings what we need. Only real head scratcher for me.

Like I've said before...this was looking like a re-tool year and I really think the smarter move would have been to re-load on the draft. We took our shot for this year's playoffs, it didn't work and I don't regret doing it. I just don't like how things are shaping up going forward.

Reactions: batting1k

zeroG

Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
I don't care if Cousins and White are solid option for the fourth line. We have plenty of those. This doesn't seem like a wise allocation of $2.3m

no, we really didn't.

as far as marchment is concerned, i'm sad. but i think zito's piecing together some cheap depth around the core engine as best he can.

that said, i think he feels these are the kinds of guys we were missing in the playoffs.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Eric will be good enough in camp to earn an NHL contract. For all intents and purposes, I'm marking him as with the team.

We now have at least 15 forwards and 8 defensemen who belong in the NHL.

Even with Duclair on LTIR, the young guys are going to end up boxed out. It makes no sense.
I honestly think it's fine?
We have 12 NHL forwards without Duke and with E. Staal who still isn't signed, plus Denisenko and Hepo as regulars or call-ups depending on their camp. That's really not a lot of depth. Deni and Hepo will absolutely get the opportunity - if they don't, it's on the coach.

On D, we now have 5 regulars + M. Staal and Lucas Carlsson (I expect Sjalin to start in the AHL).

Reactions: I am not exposed

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
I honestly think it's fine?
We have 12 NHL forwards without Duke and with E. Staal who still isn't signed, plus Denisenko and Hepo as regulars or call-ups depending on their camp. That's really not a lot of depth. Deni and Hepo will absolutely get the opportunity - if they don't, it's on the coach.

On D, we now have 5 regulars + M. Staal and Lucas Carlsson (I expect Sjalin to start in the AHL).

Add another AHL/Depth D man

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
My whole thing is, Weegar doesn't sound like he's coming back, do you keep him as your own rental when the current ceiling is MAX 2nd round imo? I guess you do but for a maddening player it'll suck to lose him for nothing.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I'm guessing we could have got it done at 4x$3.5-4M if Carolina was close and Dallas upped them at $4.5M. Don't get keeping Horny instead of March. I really like Horny and what he brings, but March is younger and brings what we need. Only real head scratcher for me.
I am not being rude here. I know text on screen can be super dry-seeming or even rude. So please don't take it that way.

But I don't understand how this is a head-scratcher for you. March is a 27yo UFA with 50~ good games under his belt, playing on a historically high-scoring team. He signed for near $5M with term.

Hornquist would either need a first-rounder added to his deal to be moved. He also has an 8-team no-trade list. We don't have the assets to move one year of his deal.

This offseason (or before) we need to sign Huberdeau (10M+), Weegar ($7-9M? idk, I think we trade him or lose him via FA) and knight ($2-5M, depending on how many games he plays.) A hornquist buyout means 2 years of $1.8M dead cap.

We cannot afford the dead cap.

The only realistic move would be us retaining 50% of Horn's deal this year and attaching some picks. Even in that scenario, we can't sign March this year and we can't afford him going forward.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I like last two seasons rosters better... ugh...
I agree somewhat, but I also think we are entering with the same/better roster than we began last season: we didn't have Giroux to start and Marchment was viewed as a third line piece.

I also think we are banking on some internal development which is risky: will Barkov/Eblad be healthy? Will Lundell continue developing? Does Reino repeat?

I'm serious when I say that we have our main important offensive pairs from last year returning (23/16-11/9-15/23) which is absolutely crucial. D is improved from start of last season (I like switching off Carlsson and Staal based on the game)

Reactions: Gizmo Tkachuk

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
They seriously can’t do that to Lundell and his development.

Also White as 1Rw would be a big no no
Remember that they were perfectly comfortable marching into two seasons ago with a first line of
Verhaeghe - Barkov - Duclair
back when Duke was a flaky 40-point guy and Verhaeghe had zero track record in the NHL. They were totally comfortable plugging Bennett in as the 2C, and those aren't the only guys they've gambled on in the top 6 (Wennberg, Tippett).

White came into the league as a C and has played RW for the past few seasons. I don't think they try to reinvent him as a LW.

Staal has only ever played C, and he's too good at face-offs, has too much size, and is too shit of a skater for Zito to bring him in as a wing.

We saw Brunnette move Lundell to LW in the playoffs, and, to an extent, it does make sense to make room for Luostarinen in the top 9. I could pretty easily see them utilizing Eetu on the wing.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Remember that they were perfectly comfortable marching into two seasons ago with a first line of
Verhaeghe - Barkov - Duclair
back when Duke was a flaky 40-point guy and Verhaeghe had zero track record in the NHL. They were totally comfortable plugging Bennett in as the 2C, and those aren't the only guys they've gambled on in the top 6 (Wennberg, Tippett).

White came into the league as a C and has played RW for the past few seasons. I don't think they try to reinvent him as a LW.

Staal has only ever played C, and he's too good at face-offs, has too much size, and is too shit of a skater for Zito to bring him in as a wing.

We saw Brunnette move Lundell to LW in the playoffs, and, to an extent, it does make sense to make room for Luostarinen in the top 9. I could pretty easily see them utilizing Eetu on the wing.
Based on faceoff ability, I really wonder if Huberdeau-Lundell-Bennett could be our second line. Bennett traditionally wasn't a good winger in Calgary, but this is a bit different. Then go Verhaege-Barkov-Reinhart.

The third line would be a mess then though

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I like last two seasons rosters better... ugh...

I don’t know why?

Last years I get, but 2 years ago?

You now have one of the best C prospects developing on the team, you have ppg Reinhart on the lineup& Knight hopefully ready to steal the spot.

The lineup from 2 years ago was still very flawed

Reactions: RogerRoger

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I am not being rude here. I know text on screen can be super dry-seeming or even rude. So please don't take it that way.

But I don't understand how this is a head-scratcher for you. March is a 27yo UFA with 50~ good games under his belt, playing on a historically high-scoring team. He signed for near $5M with term.

Hornquist would either need a first-rounder added to his deal to be moved. He also has an 8-team no-trade list. We don't have the assets to move one year of his deal.

This offseason (or before) we need to sign Huberdeau (10M+), Weegar ($7-9M? idk, I think we trade him or lose him via FA) and knight ($2-5M, depending on how many games he plays.) A hornquist buyout means 2 years of $1.8M dead cap.

We cannot afford the dead cap.

The only realistic move would be us retaining 50% of Horn's deal this year and attaching some picks. Even in that scenario, we can't sign March this year and we can't afford him going forward.

Because it sounded like March wanted to stay, so we could have signed him for $3.5-4M probably. Buyout Horny and there's enough to fit March on the roster. 4 year deal brings him to 31, which isn't that old.

If we're signing Huber to $10M+ and Weegar for $7-9M, then yeah I guess it may not work, but then I disagree with those numbers anyways so I guess there's that.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I don't see why Maurice would break up Verhaeghe - Barkov or Huberdeau - Bennett.
Lundell and Staal then make the most sense as our 3C and 4C.

Verhaeghe - Barkov - White/Reinhart
Huberdeau - Bennett - Reinhart/White

I don't think they'd take a flier on White if they weren't intrigued with his upside. Our top 6 RW is a huge question mark, so I expect to see him tried there. Reinhart looked a lot better with Huberdeau and Bennett than with the first line, plus his face-off ability will be more important next to Bennett. If White flops, then they patch the tire until Duclair is back.
Luostarinen/Cousins/xxxx - Lundell - Hornqvist/Cousins/xxxx
Luostarinen/Cousins/xxxx - Staal - Hornqvist/Cousins/xxxx

Luostarinen probably gets moved to LW to make room for Staal to anchor the fourth line. That's okay in my opinion. He isn't going to unseat either of Bennett or Lundell, and maybe moving to the wing will tap some offensive upside that he has. Hornqvist only plays RW, so he gets locked in to one of those bottom 6 spots. That leaves a leftover spot on the bottom 6 LW and bottom 6 RW for Cousins, Lomberg, Hippo, Denisenko, and Levtchi to spar over. But it wouldn't make sense to sign Cousins to that deal and scratch him, so he probably has first crack at a spot.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018

Lol Take that shit Huberdeau

That's pretty benign comment imo. Trocheck was only here for half of Huberdeau's first big season, and he barely even played with Huberdeau in the first place. That was back when we stacked the first line and gave Trocheck the leftovers.

And either way, Panarin is a far more dynamic talent than Huberdeau. They're similar quality players because Huby's extra muscle and defensive capabilities closes the gap on Panarin's world class puck skills and shot, but Tro's statement is correct. He hasn't played with anybody like that before.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Because it sounded like March wanted to stay, so we could have signed him for $3.5-4M probably. Buyout Horny and there's enough to fit March on the roster. 4 year deal brings him to 31, which isn't that old.

If we're signing Huber to $10M+ and Weegar for $7-9M, then yeah I guess it may not work, but then I disagree with those numbers anyways so I guess there's that.
I was being pretty conservative with my estimates, too, lol. Huberdeau as a UFA could easily command 11+ if he sniffs 100 points again. If Weegar scores 40 points and has great metrics again, easily gets paid like a #1D.

Few young goalies have taken 2-3 year, $5M deals. But that depends on how much Knight plays.

I do see us moving on from Weegar either in the offseason or after next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad