GDT: Free Agent Frenzy Today at Noon EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is most likely moved July 13?

• Horny

Votes: 32 49.2%
  • Duclair

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Bobrovsky

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • No one

Votes: 28 43.1%

• Total voters

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Well, the playoffs showed me that re-signing March is a must. Unfortunately we need to move a large salary and Horny's is the only one we can really afford to move. Is that ok with you boss?

There's still Chicago and Anaheim. Montreal might want to become a dumping ground as well.

It's been okay with my for a while. I was even suggesting this offseason several months ago that Honqvist should be moved. You were adamant he would not be at the time.

Weegar has proven he is not quite a top pairing d-man. Much more suitable as a 3-4 guy.

With that said, neither is Montour. Zito is in quite the pickle here with the defense. I wouldn't want to be making that decision right now.

Not a lot of cap space for GMZ to work with, basically nothing right now. I do think he's trying hard to move money but the league doesn't seem to be as generous this off-season in terms of helping off-load contracts. As many others have already said, until money gets moved there isn't much Zito can do. That Yandle buyout is really f***ing us this summer.

Yep. I know most people were jumping for joy when he was bought out, but I wasn't, and the buyout money this year is the main reason.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
One of Hornqvist scenarios could be decided by Tuesday.
And I don't see Huberdeau getting the 8 years from Zito unless it's a drop off say 500k per year in AAV.
He's 30 by the time the new deal kicks in which takes him to 37 on new deal.

7 years x 9 to 9.5 mil

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019
What's wrong with Montour?
I agree with Laus...Montour he prolly played the best of any of our D (Ek had to be hurting, Weegs was just bad, and Chiarot was mediocre at best, and not worth what we gave up to rent him) in the Playoffs. Monty is prolly best suited for 2nd pair RD, skill and contract wise. A bit pricey to be buried on a third pairing.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I'd be interested in Zacha if we can sign him for $2m. I don't see us retaining Marchment, and Zacha is a big body, fast skater, hard shooter, and defensively responsible guy who can play LW with Lundell and Hippo.

We're going to need another PK guy too, and that's the only part of his game that Devils' fans have been satisfied with.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
Bit surprised at the poll, sur hope Florida does something, don't see how this team as is gets past round 2, but re: concern about their regular season play, if you don't but into the traditional Vegas projections, stat nerd still has Florida at 110 points as well (rest of standings are a bit wonky as so many teams have UFAS, Florida may stand pat Wednesday.

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
Bit surprised at the poll, sur hope Florida does something, don't see how this team as is gets past round 2, but re: concern about their regular season play, if you don't but into the traditional Vegas projections, stat nerd still has Florida at 110 points as well (rest of standings are a bit wonky as so many teams have UFAS, Florida may stand pat Wednesday.

Surprised? We still have a great roster.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
Surprised? We still have a great roster.
They have a top 3 in the East roster that will probably get bounced by Tampa again. Really not seeing a reason to be optimistic. I get that Duclair's injury makes it hard to move him, so as much as I'd like to move on, not much you can do, but paying triple what a player of Horny's worth is just because he's a locker room guy isn't ideal when that 5 million can be better spent eslewhere.

Reactions: M4k4 and Gentle Man

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Weegars extension is risky.
Zito in no way can afford to overpay him in either money or term.

Somehow he’d need to find space to add a quality defensive Dman into the mix

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

How are you surprised at the poll if you admit that everyone has Florida at 110 points?

Reactions: Panteras

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
How are you surprised at the poll if you admit that everyone has Florida at 110 points?
Because idgaf about the regular season and I don't see how this roster gets out of the 2nd round? I've never had less interest in a regular season or regular season success. This roster is probably the same (maybe slightly worse?) than the 2021 team?

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
They have a top 3 in the East roster that will probably get bounced by Tampa again. Really not seeing a reason to be optimistic. I get that Duclair's injury makes it hard to move him, so as much as I'd like to move on, not much you can do, but paying triple what a player of Horny's worth is just because he's a locker room guy isn't ideal when that 5 million can be better spent eslewhere.

I'm in favor of moving on from Horny if it means we keep March, BUT I'm a bit hesitant about what that could do to the team's culture. Often times the words culture and character are used way too often, but I truly feel with Horny it actually matters. When he came in, he transformed the way these guys thought and played the game, all the players and staff say so. It wasn't just on the ice or in the locker room, I recall he even went to front office and said he wants to help build the franchise.

So I think he's more important than just his on-ice contributions, which are still not bad for an older guy. I don't think you're able to get someone with Horny's stature and respect at less than his salary. You can get the same on-ice player, but he won't come with all the other intangibles, which maybe is just as important for a franchise like ours that is still trying to earn some respect around the league and in the area.

Winning is everything obviously, so that's why I feel like keeping March is more important, but I do worry about losing Horny in the org.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Because idgaf about the regular season and I don't see how this roster gets out of the 2nd round? I've never had less interest in a regular season or regular season success. This roster is probably the same (maybe slightly worse?) than the 2021 team?

Yeah but the playoffs has nothing to do with finishing with 110 pts in the regular season. I agree that there are question marks right now. Some of those can be addressed at the deadline.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Friedman on 32 Thoughts Podcast:

- Thinks Huberdeau extension will get done at some point
- Would like to do Weegar too, but question if they can do both
- EF hearing that Florida is involved "in a lot of things out there"
- Ottawa has interest in Weegar
- One team has said to EF: Florida could so something, they could do nothing but have "a lot going on". Could be a really interesting team this week.
- Florida has not given up on Giroux
- Other teams looking at Weegar, but Florida would like to keep him if possible.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I like Giroux, but it's going to be impossible to fit him under the cap without moving big money out. We're going into next season with a slightly worse (on paper) roster, just have to deal with it and hope coaching can make up the gap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad