BRUINS GDT Free Agent Frenzy - July 1 NOON (ET) - ESPN+, TSN, SN

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
He was a good soldier for the Bruins. Constantly throwing himself on grenades whenever they were fired. For this he faced disrespect and judgement.
I wish him great health and luck in Vancouver.
Absolutely. Forbert took on the role as one of the whipping boys around here. Seems like there always has to be someone.

People did the same thing with Ference and K Miller for a long time. As is the case with Forbert, they were wrong.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Absolutely. Forbert took on the role as one of the whipping boys around here. Seems like there always has to be someone.

People did the same thing with Ference and K Miller for a long time. As is the case with Forbert, they were wrong.

Don't recall Ference as a whipping boy.

Must have been before my time here.

Miller really took a beating here before he somehow became a folk hero later.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

My hazy memories (I ended up being a big fan of the guy later in his tenure) were that he was a fairly meh skater and did not have good zone exiting skills early on. He brought the physicality but often was a liability getting hemmed in. Then one summer (17?) he turned up after having done a load of off-season work on his skating and looked like a different player which was highly impressive given his veteran status. His passing improved quite a lot as well. Maybe that's the reason he became well-liked in part? Certainly was a big reason for me- he was a great partner for Matty G in his early years in the league.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Not really any names left on the UFA list, but I like the makeup of the team right now. I wouldn’t mind if they took a flyer on a 2 way deal with Sammy Blais though, seems like another AHL move with size and physicality like Viel.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
No, don't know where that came from, but you don't need to have an account to read postings here, who knows.
Sweeney seemingly switched up on the type of players he went shopping for.
Huge change in direction for the franchise.
Love the signings. My one issue is I would like to get a forward to play in the top six that has some jam and toughness. Bennett and Tkachuk are in the top 6. They were imposing on the top lines on the way to a cup win.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

Oh he was. Very much so. And so completely unfair as well. AF27 was a battler on so many levels.

Record was alway better with him than without him too. But that logic fell on many deaf ears.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Essensa has been the goalie coach since 2003. We have three deferent goalies with Vezina trophies and a Swayman who might be on his way for one. He is my most trusted member of the organization. Results don’t lie.

In his first year he helped get Raycroft to a landslide Calder win, 5th for the Vezina, and 13th for the Hart. Really there are only a few goalies he's had that haven't worked out (Toivonen, Svedberg, Gustaffsson) and I blame more of that the players. Essensa is a magician.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
In his first year he helped get Raycroft to a landslide Calder win, 5th for the Vezina, and 13th for the Hart. Really there are only a few goalies he's had that haven't worked out (Toivonen, Svedberg, Gustaffsson) and I blame more of that the players. Essensa is a magician.
Exactly it’s not like those goalies went on to have lots of success else where.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
It’s n
No, don't know where that came from, but you don't need to have an account to read postings here, who knows.
Sweeney seemingly switched up on the type of players he went shopping for.
Huge change in direction for the franchise.
Well, he had already added Peeke and Forbort to the D. So it’s not like he suddenly realized the team needed size and toughness on the back end. But forwards, yeah, it certainly looks like management is intent on beefing up the forwards.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It’s n

Well, he had already added Peeke and Forbort to the D. So it’s not like he suddenly realized the team needed size and toughness on the back end. But forwards, yeah, it certainly looks like management is intent on beefing up the forwards.

And they have made attempts to get bigger up front in recent years, they have generally blown up in their face, Foligno, Backers. Belesky

This year they really committed.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

In general Ference did have criticism.

Bafflingly so to me.

The Dafoomie video on the Thrashers Bruins brawl where Ference jumped in on behalf of Lucic touched on it I believe. NESN showed a few of his fight highlights and essentially silenced those critics while showing a Ference Backes fight, where Ference is well undersized.

Terrific Bruin.

Reactions: bruins19

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

Bafflingly so to me.

The Dafoomie video on the Thrashers Bruins brawl where Ference jumped in on behalf of Lucic touched on it I believe. NESN showed a few of his fight highlights and essentially silenced those critics while showing a Ference Backes fight, where Ference is well undersized.

Terrific Bruin.
I remember Wideman as a whipping boy at that time. Miller and McQuaid both took there shots amongst my friends. But Ference was beloved by all.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think Mowers/York were the first whipping boys I remember on here

Wideman was a huge one, as was Miller after his first playoff series against Montreal

FONZIE

AYYYYYY!!!!
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Moved to Wisconsin

Bafflingly so to me.

Terrific Bruin.
It took the HF Boards crew a couple of years to figure out that when Ference came back from injury, it still took him another 4-6 weeks to get back to his best. The boards took it easier on him after that was figured out.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Tyler Johnson probably makes the most sense because he can play C and RW incase Poitras and Lysell need some more time

About to be 34 and he's had his fair share of injuries but he knows how to play an NHL game versus some of these other guys that are just atrocious defensively

One play this year he dropped Jamie Benn along the wall, shot came from the point and he went right to the net and banged home the rebound

I would hope/expect he gets beat out but as a PTO he's probably the best of the bunch IMO

Sprong's attitude worries me
Surprised Tampa hasn’t taken a flyer on Johnson but I like the idea giving him an outside chance.

Reactions: CellyHard

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
A lot of us switching allegiances and sides here. It's like the Earth's magnetic fields have flipped.
It all started with Sweeneys new passion for physical players (where did that come from)?
It's confused many here and left other feeling discombobulated.o_O

Hey after bickering with the grit crowd for years I'm sitting here excited about the roster. I want to see the Bs do damage this year

Albeit my fight was always against grit without skill (Beleskey, the inbred Richie brothers, etc.) love to see guys like Zadorov who can score from the backend and then body somebody

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad