Smallwigs: "Yay! We get to see how the sausage is made!"
Bigwig1: "I don't like the smallwigs seeing how we make our sausage."
Bigwig2: "I don't like anyone seeing how any sausage is made."
Bigwig3: "I'll get the checkbook."
"Hi! I'm HowTheSausageIsMade v2.0!"

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
The NHL is such a NON fan friendly league.
They are such a small mind league.
The NHL is trying to get more fans involved bur the do stupid shit too turn fans off.
To the NHL this is small potatoes

TO THE FANS THIS IS BIG SHIT.

Note to the NHL vy allowing this to happen you haven't gained more fans you lost a few more again.

I highly doubt capfriendly selling their website has made any fans walk away lol. A tad over dramatic.

Also how can the league stop a private website sale.

Reactions: kliq
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I highly doubt capfriendly selling their website has made any fans walk away lol. A tad over dramatic.

Also how can the league stop a private website sale.
I suppose the league could have bought the site themselves, to keep it public.

It's a bit ridiculous the NHL doesnt have their own site with all salary cap figures that is available to the public.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
I suppose the league could have bought the site themselves, to keep it public.

It's a bit ridiculous the NHL doesnt have their own site with all salary cap figures that is available to the public.
Like I said the league would botch it.

Look at the NHL streaming service. While the quality of the video was fine and the service itself worked they never did any more. .

Never added a highlight section, top 10, no match rundowns, nothing. They had a platform everyone was using and instead of building on the platform and making a more immersive experience for the consumer thereby keeping them on their service instead of going elsewhere they did nothing. Then they sold the rights off and forced Canadian people to use Sportsnet which is awful and Americans to use ESPN which I've heard mixed reviews

This is what would happen with capfriendly had they bought it.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Like I said the league would botch it.

Look at the NHL streaming service. While the quality of the video was fine and the service itself worked they never did any more. .

Never added a highlight section, top 10, no match rundowns, nothing. They had a platform everyone was using and instead of building on the platform and making a more immersive experience for the consumer thereby keeping them on their service instead of going elsewhere they did nothing. Then they sold the rights off and forced Canadian people to use Sportsnet which is awful and Americans to use ESPN which I've heard mixed reviews

This is what would happen with capfriendly had they bought it.

Easily Bettman's biggest failure is actually engaging fans in a way that makes them want to be NHL fans. You'd think the runaway success of fantasy sports and how NFL fans dissect salary numbers would clue him in but he has repeatedly failed to take notice.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Easily Bettman's biggest failure is actually engaging fans in a way that makes them want to be NHL fans. You'd think the runaway success of fantasy sports and how NFL fans dissect salary numbers would clue him in but he has repeatedly failed to take notice.

It's pretty clear the NHL doesn't want all these contract details to be easily accessible and documented. I'm not exactly sure what their justification is, but they've been working against this kind of transparency. Not terribly unusual for professional sports organizations to want all their financials to be cloak and dagger.

If it weren't for the Green Bay Packers being grandfathered in as a public, non-profit operation, we wouldn't get any financial information out of the NFL. That's a real thorn in the league's side.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's pretty clear the NHL doesn't want all these contract details to be easily accessible and documented. I'm not exactly sure what their justification is, but they've been working against this kind of transparency. Not terribly unusual for professional sports organizations to want all their financials to be cloak and dagger.

Still all those same things as Capfriendly had are easily accessible on those 2 websites.

Nothing really changes.

And Yzerman also said that league has their own source for all, so I still won't get what was the Capitals benefit to buy some site, which does not give any special information the League already gives.

Imo, evolving-hockey is much more valuable with their contract projection tool, which will use contract comparables and creates contract value estimations.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Still all those same things as Capfriendly had are easily accessible on those 2 websites.

Nothing really changes.

And Yzerman also said that league has their own source for all, so I still won't get what was the Capitals benefit to buy some site, which does not give any special information the League already gives.

There's obviously something the Capitals want that the other sites didn't offer. It's not immediately obvious to me either, but you don't go through the effort to buy a company and turn off the website without some kind of motivation.

Many moons ago... before these salary tracking websites, teams like the Wings used to not disclose contracts, either. I think there's a contingent in the NHL that wants to go back to these days (even though that's impossible in the modern cap era, but that never stopped dinosaurs from fighting extinction). "Undisclosed terms" used to be very common, such as this little press release from 2001. There wasn't Twitter or anything like that, so realistically deal details were unknown to the common fan.

Seeking to fill a void at right wing, the Dallas Stars brought back veteran Pat Verbeek on Friday.

Verbeek, a member of the Stars' 1999 Stanley Cup championship team, agreed to a one-year contract at undisclosed terms.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
There's obviously something the Capitals want that the other sites didn't offer. It's not immediately obvious to me either, but you don't go through the effort to buy a company and turn off the website without some kind of motivation.

Many moons ago... before these salary tracking websites, teams like the Wings used to not disclose contracts, either. I think there's a contingent in the NHL that wants to go back to these days (even though that's impossible in the modern cap era, but that never stopped dinosaurs from fighting extinction). "Undisclosed terms" used to be very common, such as this little press release from 2001. There wasn't Twitter or anything like that, so realistically deal details were unknown to the common fan.

The thought of having no clue how much any of these guys are making and contributing against the cap is actually kind of freeing. It would be refreshing to talk about Andrew Copp without his cap hit for once.

At the same time, capgineering online is a big part of the modern fan experience I guess.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The thought of having no clue how much any of these guys are making and contributing against the cap is actually kind of freeing. It would be refreshing to talk about Andrew Copp without his cap hit for once.

At the same time, capgineering online is a big part of the modern fan experience I guess.

Let's talk about Andrew Copp's real salary.

It's more than his caphit! :D

Let the HATE begin. Bring the torches.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

It's incredibly difficult to separate nostalgia from the old days, but that 90s era when the internet was just budding and pre-cap hockey... that'll always hold a special time for me. It was the perfect balance between having access to more information but not everything being dissected and distilled. Like you said, players were judged on current merit not their relative cap value today or in the future.

So many of our conversations now revolve around advanced metrics and salary cap percentages. And honestly, those conversations can feel pretty laborious and like conversing over spreadsheet data. We have so much more now but we've genuinely lost some of the joy and simplicity that our ignorance was providing.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

This looks like a clone - we'll see how it continues. ;)
yeah, that looks pretty good

There's puckpedia out there as well which is also decent, and they just created their own "Puck GM" tool which mimics Capfriendly's armchair GM, and it's actually a pretty good tool.

Still need these sites to include "depth charts". That was one of my favorites things on Capfriendly. The way the data was presented as a depth chart was solid.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota

Are there any good "NHL Manager" type games out there?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

If it weren't for the Green Bay Packers being grandfathered in as a public, non-profit operation, we wouldn't get any financial information out of the NFL. That's a real thorn in the league's side.
Unless they are going to stop announcing the details of the deals when players sign, I don't know that taking away the site that compiles the data does you any good.

I mean as far as I know, if you just search "Player name" contract in google, you can find what any player signed for in any sport.

The only one where it'd kind of hard to figure out the cap hit is the NFL, because of how they structure those contracts.

yeah, that looks pretty good

There's puckpedia out there as well which is also decent, and they just created their own "Puck GM" tool which mimics Capfriendly's armchair GM, and it's actually a pretty good tool.

Still need these sites to include "depth charts". That was one of my favorites things on Capfriendly. The way the data was presented as a depth chart was solid.
There is a ton of incentive for people to create the next iteration of these sites.

The blueprint is there, make a good site, someone will buy it for millions. Give it some time and I am very confident a very good replacement will pop up. As some have posted, there are already some, and I am sure they will be further developed over time.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Why engage the fans when you can regularly gaslight them?

During the clutch and grab era: "Fans love the game and say it's never been better!"
CTE: "There's no conclusive link between CTE and concussions from hockey."

Helmet ads "The helmet ads are temporary to help recoup covid losses."
Digital ads "Our research shows fans love the new ads!"
Ads on jerseys "You'd have to drag me kicking and screaming before we put ads on jerseys"

It's a mystery why fans boo Bettman.

Reactions: Winger98

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Why engage the fans when you can regularly gaslight them?

During the clutch and grab era: "Fans love the game and say it's never been better!"
CTE: "There's no conclusive link between CTE and concussions from hockey."

Helmet ads "The helmet ads are temporary to help recoup covid losses."
Digital ads "Our research shows fans love the new ads!"
Ads on jerseys "You'd have to drag me kicking and screaming before we put ads on jerseys"

It's a mystery why fans boo Bettman.

He loves to be booed though. He really embraces the hatred.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad