GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
We're now $595k from the cap ceiling with a 20-man roster. Doesn't include Pärssinen, Tomasino, MDG or Statsney.

Someone needs to move to make room. Preferably Glass or Fabbro.
Something I've yet to understand, why do people want to dump Fabbro so badly?

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Something I've yet to understand, why do people want to dump Fabbro so badly?
It is more of a.... Brunette didnt like using him thing

Well... 20 man roster is at the caplimit. There will be some trading. Question is who...

My candidates:

Glass
Fabbro (now that carrier is extended)
Lauzon (2nd pairing minutes and lots of hits. Maybe built up value)
Novak
Nyquist (capitalize on a excellent season)
Schenn (large price for a 3rd pairing dman)

Last edited:

nullednumbed

Jun 27, 2022
Unless we hit the lottery and Stammer/Forsberg/ROR/March/Josi/Saros are all the magical exception that breaks the aging curve, we're in a ton of trouble in three years. Gotta hope we can catch lightning in a bottle between now and then.
I agree. This is a complete swing for the fences move by Trotz to me. I am skeptical, but if it pans out we could be in for a fun season or two.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
We really are a pessimistic group sometimes. Even after signing three of the best UFAs out there we're thinking about how this might suck for us three years from now.

But Soundgarden, what if...Stamkos starts to suck and can only play on the power play? Ok? Let him score on the power play three years from now, it's a four year contract and he's a superstar, legitimately one of the best goal scorers in the history of the sport.

Of course it's not gonna be perfect, but I'd rather have an aging Stamkos' subpar season than a Vern Fiddler subpar season.

But...Saros' contract is too long! What if he starts to suck five years from now!!! Then let him be a back up five years from now and watch him take over our wins and GP record, hopefully we'll have a cup by then. Forget the fact that he'll be making less than other top goalies.

We have a great prospect pool and loads of picks, if we get into trouble so badly that we need to incentivize a bottom feeder to take a bad contract we can, but let's wait to get to that point, shall we?

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
My hope is that we just do really well over the next two seasons, like get to the 2nd round and hopefully further. If that happens I don't know how much I will care about how shitty these deals look 3-4 years from now. I'd rather try to suck later if possible. And I feel better about actually making playoff noise with this lineup than the one we had last season.

Reactions: Enoch and bdub24

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Trotz was certainly busy today.

IMG_1016.gif

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
If Askarov can straight up look like a guy who will push for 25-30 starts in the NHL based on training camp, then that's great for us. It won't actually save us on the Cap, though, since we'd still have the buried portion of Wedgewood's contract, so it adds up to pretty close to the same thing.

But I just think it's too much of an ask at this point for Askarov to be that good?

Meanwhile, Grosenick signed in Minnesota?! I would have thought it'd be a bit of a shoo-in to bring him back for Milwaukee after the season he had. Oh well.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
If Askarov can straight up look like a guy who will push for 25-30 starts in the NHL based on training camp, then that's great for us. It won't actually save us on the Cap, though, since we'd still have the buried portion of Wedgewood's contract, so it adds up to pretty close to the same thing.

But I just think it's too much of an ask at this point for Askarov to be that good?

Meanwhile, Grosenick signed in Minnesota?! I would have thought it'd be a bit of a shoo-in to bring him back for Milwaukee after the season he had. Oh well.
He will have a better shot at getting NHL games there if Minny bring up Wallstedt to back up Flower

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm happy, not because I think we are suddenly contenders, but because I'm glad Trotz chose a path and went with it. We will worry about 3 years from now then.

Either the kids will grow and be ready to step in or we are going to be in a whole heap of trouble. Either way at least we are headed down a road somewhere instead of just going in circles.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
He will have a better shot at getting NHL games there if Minny bring up Wallstedt to back up Flower
I would have said he had a better shot like his callup here, just for being a bit of a longer term organizational guy, since he's really just an AHL backup level, i.e. depth chart #4 guy, regardless. Fleury/Gustavsson/Wallstedt/Hlavaj doesn't give him more NHL opportunity than here.

But he got himself $250,000 and I think when you're in his position and a contract comes along on July 1st, you take it. You can't wait around to see what's going to happen in your hometown. It's not about getting any NHL opportunity really. :dunno:

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I would have said he had a better shot like his callup here, just for being a bit of a longer term organizational guy, since he's really just an AHL backup level, i.e. depth chart #4 guy, regardless. Fleury/Gustavsson/Wallstedt/Hlavaj doesn't give him more NHL opportunity than here.

But he got himself $250,000 and I think when you're in his position and a contract comes along on July 1st, you take it. You can't wait around to see what's going to happen in your hometown. It's not about getting any NHL opportunity really. :dunno:
I thought Minny got rid of Gustavsson. Guess I was misremembering.

Does anyone know if Devin Cooleys deal with Calgary is one way? Tsn didn't list it as 2 way at least as of this am

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad