GDT: Free Agency Frenzy (July 1st @ 12pm ET)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How would you grade GMBM off-season so far?

• A

Votes: 73 83.9%
  • B

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • C

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • D

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
One of them did eat crow earlier in a thread. Might have been this one. Todd mea culpa’d

On another note —

Anyone have a list of who is left in FA?
I loved the D moves. Also enjoy the 4th liners. I prefer those being vets vs rookies. Still not trilled with the PLD and Mango moves with the cap space being tied up in them. Would love to see one more middle 6 winger added.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Guentzel 7x$9M with TB. Wowsa.

I loved the D moves. Also enjoy the 4th liners. I prefer those being vets vs rookies. Still not trilled with the PLD and Mango moves with the cap space being tied up in them. Would love to see one more middle 6 winger added.

Which middle 6 winger would you add, for roughly the exact same salary as you are removing? In other words, what moves without any real cap impact would you like to see?

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
Guentzel 7x$9M with TB. Wowsa.

Which middle 6 winger would you add, for roughly the exact same salary as you are removing? In other words, what moves without any real cap impact would you like to see?
My #1 want has always been Ehlers. Not sure what it’s going to take to pull off. But I admit at this point seems unrealistic.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Saw some delays with others too. I think sometimes it is rumors but not done. Combined with PuckPedia and CapFriendly drowning to catch up.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
With the caveat that it's still early in the off-season...not all that many teams seem intent on improving. Time will tell on Washington's changes and just how well they gel but the bar across the league is not high. By my quick count maybe less than ten teams have clearly gotten better. So much improvement across the league is internal growth from younger players but very often mismanagement seems to limit teams finally getting over the hump. I mean, it's almost clear as day in a lot of situations right now.

People talk about Washington being stuck in between but how many franchises are even off the mat? There are some intentionally not trying to upgrade to time their competitiveness according to a particular timeline (which may or may not come to fruition) or thanks to ownership influence. There seems to be enough cultural dysfunction or at least tolerance to losing that keeps many franchises down. Others currently still have cap limitations influencing their activity rate. Some may be waiting for a second wave of trade action to restructure so we'll see...but I wouldn't count on a flurry of zany deals ala the NBA.

You've really got to like what Washington has done thus far. Further, big picture the many poor wayward teams should give them an opportunity to remain relevant without too much difficulty if that's the route they choose. Teams can't buy their way into staying relevant forever. Elite scarce talent will still often only be available via the draft. But there's enough loose change in any given year that a consistently engaged approach and functional culture alone can make a difference. Vegas has been a great example of it happening pretty quickly (though we'll see if they can sustain it). Day 1 without a Vegas splash also makes one suspicious...

The Caps could use a winger upgrade but you'd rather have a potential need there at the deadline than any other position. And they're well positioned internally between Leonard, Miro and Frank to be able to find a solution if need be.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
With the caveat that it's still early in the off-season...not all that many teams seem intent on improving. Time will tell on Washington's changes and just how well they gel but the bar across the league is not high. By my quick count maybe less than ten teams have clearly gotten better. So much improvement across the league is internal growth from younger players but very often mismanagement seems to limit teams finally getting over the hump. I mean, it's almost clear as day in a lot of situations right now.

People talk about Washington being stuck in between but how many franchises are even off the mat? There are some intentionally not trying to upgrade to time their competitiveness according to a particular timeline (which may or may not come to fruition) or thanks to ownership influence. There seems to be enough cultural dysfunction or at least tolerance to losing that keeps many franchises down. Others currently still have cap limitations influencing their activity rate. Some may be waiting for a second wave of trade action to restructure so we'll see...but I wouldn't count on a flurry of zany deals ala the NBA.

You've really got to like what Washington has done thus far. Further, big picture the many poor wayward teams should give them an opportunity to remain relevant without too much difficulty if that's the route they choose. Teams can't buy their way into staying relevant forever. Elite scarce talent will still often only be available via the draft. But there's enough loose change in any given year that a consistently engaged approach and functional culture alone can make a difference. Vegas has been a great example of it happening pretty quickly (though we'll see if they can sustain it). Day 1 without a Vegas splash also makes one suspicious...

The Caps could use a winger upgrade but you'd rather have a potential need there at the deadline than any other position. And they're well positioned internally between Leonard, Miro and Frank to be able to find a solution if need be.
All of this. And I'll add that although they still need to clear cap space (pending 77's decision) they haven't hamstrung themselves for next year or the year after. Yes they have some money and term on some guys. But they have big dollars coming off the books too amid a rising cap. That allows them to grab elite talent if it does come available via trade/UFA. Pretty savvy stuff.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
would love to have a leonard/miro in that top six winger spot instead of milano respectfully, but other than that i can’t complain with what the caps have done as far as the big league club

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Rutger would really cap it all off. They have the assets to do it too.

Even if he's not a play driver himself, I think there are potentially two elite play drivers coming soon (including the early reports about Parascak a bit liberally but whatever). The USA factor also adds a little bit of cushion to any doubt about Leonard signing to be honest.

I think he'd have a shot to be that middle 6 winger they seem to still need.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA

Good overview. What strikes me is that GMBM has said for a couple of years they want to get younger and faster. They have been hamstrung and couldn’t do the kind of deals they wanted to do.

This year they had cap space, moveable assets, and draft collateral. They used all of those things while also remaining true to (1) Getting younger, (2) getting faster, (3) be competitive for OV years, and (4) not mortgaging the future.

These moves don’t hamstring us and give us a lot of options at TDL and next offseason depending on how Caps perform and what we like with the chemistry.

It’s a helluva job by GMBM and staff! Not we got to translate to the ice and performance.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
What has that got to do with anything? We made the Playoffs last season and he could have literally joined to a Playoff team.

I don't think it has anything to do with how we look/looked as a team and everything to do with him doing what he thinks is best for his development.
Or the college parties and coeds.

Reactions: CapsSkins

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Just got my season ticket invite for a coffee thing on July 6 at Dev Camp but I’ll be gone for the 4th weekend at the lake house.

I bet he BMBM will do a press conference tomorrow after he gets back from his red eye (assuming they are coming home tonight). Great decision to stay back and rock this day out though. I love it when a plan comes together!

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I think the thing this offseason says the most is, we trust Spencer Carbery with all these new veteran pieces, but also with the youth we have coming soon.

Reclamations like PLD come with risk, but trusting Carbs to maximize it, says a lot. Keeping the forward acquisitions to 1-2 years new term makes space for Lenny and Miro when they're ready.

I think what it all says is, we think our coach is going to get the max out of this eclectic mix we're brewing. I love it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad