GDT: Free Agency Frenzy (July 1st @ 12pm ET)

How would you grade GMBM off-season so far?

• A

Votes: 72 83.7%
  • B

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • C

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • D

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
I just hope everyone remembers this thread/feeling in a few months when they've lost 3 in a row and the PP is slumping.
Have any moves this summer improved our PP? I foresee more standing around next season with plenty of shorties against.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Some moves I have loved and others have me scratching my head but I think the plan is to put together a team that can compete this year, and if it can’t then sell hard at the deadline and recoup assets.

Reactions: Corby78

Jun 15, 2007
I love it.

Great off season.

A+. Revamped the team, added youth, with no actual cost. We lost no prospects or high picks.

To be honest, this should have been done four years ago. It was obvious to me then that we were done as a contender then.

But hey, second best time to plant a tree is right now.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I just hope everyone remembers this thread/feeling in a few months when they've lost 3 in a row and the PP is slumping.
455CDE91-CA80-4A0D-8B9F-68122EBF72E3.gif

I feel like I’ve beaten this gif into the ground, but it applies to so many HFB posts

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I love it.

Great off season.

A+. Revamped the team, added youth, with no actual cost. We lost no prospects or high picks.

To be honest, this should have been done four years ago. It was obvious to me then that we were done as a contender then.

It's been a while since I got to break out my hot take of we should've traded Holtby right after the Cup run, reloaded, and pivoted to Grubauer!

But hey the Caps are in a really fun spot rather quickly. They (significantly) improved a playoff team all while adding some really great fresh young talent, and the other mid range young talent has taken great steps....and oh yeah we have a goal chase that is (long shot) potentially going to happen this year. What a cool 50th season.

If the goalies can be at .905+ this team is gonna be a fun ride this year.

Sign the painting GMBM Ehlers and McGroarty make this the best offseason ever.

McVechkin

Sponsor
Jun 29, 2015
I love it.

Great off season.

Ya, but the backstrom ltir, potential oshie, and kuz shedding have hamstrung them for a couple years.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Still wondering where the goals are going to come from, but they've done about as much as they could to shore up the D and goaltending. All without mortgaging the future.

Love the Roy signing. I think he's going to have a similar impact as Niskanen, maybe a bit less offense. Chychrun is a clear upgrade over Jensen and even if I think he's more of a second pair D he provides plenty of value at his current contract. As I mentioned earlier I'd hold off on re-signing him now and plan on re-evaluating mid-season. No need to go long-term on him now, and he should be a prized asset at the TDL if the season goes sideways or he's just not a good fit.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I think the thing this offseason says the most is, we trust Spencer Carbery with all these new veteran pieces, but also with the youth we have coming soon.

Reclamations like PLD come with risk, but trusting Carbs to maximize it, says a lot. Keeping the forward acquisitions to 1-2 years new term makes space for Lenny and Miro when they're ready.

I think what it all says is, we think our coach is going to get the max out of this eclectic mix we're brewing. I love it.
Well said. I also wonder what coaching changes we will see over the summer. I think Love is coveted by some. Nelson got screwed because his run was so deep into the summer so he missed out. Could he come to Caps. I think there will be at least one change behind the bench but that too will be a vote of confidence in Carbery to chose his guy/people.

Reactions: kicksavedave

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I love it.

Great off season.

I tell sales reps and leaders on my team this all the time. Best time to plant Apple Tree = 20 years ago. Second best time = today.

Hindsight is always 20/20. But you learn and move on because there isn’t enough mental energy for doers to dwell on the past. That is a loser mindset. The winner mindset is learn from it and adjust and don’t make the same mistake twice.

management made a decision. I still don’t disagree with it. Who would have predicted COVID, which impacted people in a lot of different ways. Backstrom hip going to shit. Flat salary cap. Could have gone in a different direction. It didn’t. But let’s say GMBM has been planting bushes for short term coverage before he could plant the actual trees. that was done this year starting with Carbery, inserting youth, moving assets where appropriate, and then the moves the last 4 days. LFG!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Still wondering where the goals are going to come from, but they've done about as much as they could to shore up the D and goaltending. All without mortgaging the future.

Love the Roy signing. I think he's going to have a similar impact as Niskanen, maybe a bit less offense. Chychrun is a clear upgrade over Jensen and even if I think he's more of a second pair D he provides plenty of value at his current contract. As I mentioned earlier I'd hold off on re-signing him now and plan on re-evaluating mid-season. No need to go long-term on him now, and he should be a prized asset at the TDL if the season goes sideways or he's just not a good fit.
What soured you on Chychrun? You used to stump for him

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Also I agree with Twabby about the contract extensions. We shouldnt rush into anyof them right now. We should look for around the roster lock at Holiday break to start extension talk. We should know by then if our team is a contender and if we want them more then a 1 year tryout.

The goalies will be the most interesting

Reactions: Hivemind

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
I don’t watch Dubois at all. What makes him elite? If you assume the caps don’t really change the pp structure significantly, what role is he?
He's great at finding the soft spot in the D and then picking his spot when the puck gets to him. I think he's the perfect guy for the spot below the net on the PP.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
What soured you on Chychrun? You used to stump for him

I don't think I really stumped for him like others. But I also don't think I'm too down on him. I'm certainly not suggesting he's bad. I just don't think I'm quite as high as others are on him.

He's been consistently above average but never really great according to the numbers. Seems like a perfect #3 guy on a contender. And that's fine, given his sub-$5 million salary and his meager acquisition cost via trade.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
I don't think I really stumped for him like others. But I also don't think I'm too down on him. I'm certainly not suggesting he's bad. I just don't think I'm quite as high as others are on him.

He's been consistently above average but never really great according to the numbers. Seems like a perfect #3 guy on a contender. And that's fine, given his sub-$5 million salary and his meager acquisition cost via trade.

If he can regularly Mike Green the puck to ovechkin…all the way to 896, I’d lobby to put his sweater in the rafters.

Reactions: Calicaps

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

What kind of shot does he have? I wonder what the chances are they run him opposite Ovechkin. Who's going to start where on the Power Play this year will be fairly interesting out of camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad