GDT: Free Agency Frenzy (July 1st @ 12pm ET)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How would you grade GMBM off-season so far?

• A

Votes: 72 84.7%
  • B

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • C

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • D

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
Those 4th liners we just signed are totally tradeable and waivable if a better structure comes along. It would be savage, but no more so than trading CMM. Maybe that's the reason we got both... trade chips.
I view Raddysh that way but not Duhaime. To go to 1.8 AAV on him, I believe GMBM sees him as a key part of the 4th line. My guess is that Raddysh/Trineyev/Rybinski/Sutter/Frank will fight it out for the 4RW spot.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Those 4th liners we just signed are totally tradeable and waivable if a better structure comes along. It would be savage, but no more so than trading CMM. Maybe that's the reason we got both... trade chips.
Exactly! They are tradeable or burryable. If they get claimed on waivers not a big deal either.

IMHO, People are losing sight of the need for depth. Look how deep we go every year with Hershey call-ups. We’ll have some work to do with Hershey roster as well.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
In some kind of weird way what Los Angeles has done in free agency also makes me more optimistic about PLD. Edmundson? Foegele? Jeannot trade? Sometimes the fit isn't there for whatever reason. Really seems both PLD and Chychrun couldn't gel in their previous spots. Can the Caps unlock them? Hard to believe they'd fare as poorly but we'll see. It's still all about their veteran culture, having fun and keeping it tight.

Chychrun's shot from the point also makes him a more threatening PP2 option over Sandin IMO. If there's someone to move on the back-end--aside from Bear obviously--then I think it's Sandin. Premature to usher him out without an extension for Chychrun but structurally Sandin would be the more logical candidate to subtract than Fehervary.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
If there's someone to move on the back-end--aside from Bear obviously--then I think it's Sandin. Premature to usher him out without an extension for Chychrun but structurally Sandin would be the more logical candidate to subtract than Fehervary.
You trade a LD from this roster only if you bring another LD back. They have no NHL caliber depth on that position. The one that should've been gone by now and instead got overpaid is TVR.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
How many years and how much?
1719862340466.png

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
We retooled the roster and kept all our own picks and prospects.

This time next season:

Coming off the books/expiring contracts
  • Kuznetsov's remainder of his contract of 3.9 mil
  • Pacioretty's 2 mil bonus
  • Backstrom 9.2 mil
  • Oshie 5.75 mil
  • Mangiapane 5.8 mil
  • Dowd 1.3 mil
  • Sgarbossa 775K
  • Bear 2 mil
  • Chychrun 4.6 mil
  • Lindgren 1.1 mil
  • Thompson 766K
  • Raddysh 1 mil
Two years from now
  • Ovechkin 9.5 mil
  • Milano 1.9 mil
  • Carlson 8 mil
  • TVR 3 mil

Wow. It's almost like we have a GM that has a detailed plan to do exactly what he told fans he would do. Big improvements to the team addressing all our biggest needs, kept all of our prospects and best picks, subtracted the right pieces, cleared the necessary cap space, and has contracts expiring in perfect time to keep the turnover going and/or retain the players that work out.

The BMac haters can suck a butt. Dude crushed it this week.

Look, there seems to be mixed thoughts on wether or not we are cap complaint.

If we need to trade people to be cap compliant, we have few options: TvR, CMM, Milano.

Moving Oshie's hit gets it done, and if they did want a cost move, it won't be to save a million or less on an impact player. McMike has real value, Milano's occasional spark is worth the marginal cost difference, and Dowd makes a real difference when he's healthy.

They'd eyeball a larger cap hit to either create real space or get back a worthwhile but slightly cheaper guy.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Wow. It's almost like we have a GM that has a detailed plan to do exactly what he told fans he would do. Big improvements to the team addressing all our biggest needs, kept all of our prospects and best picks, subtracted the right pieces, cleared the necessary cap space, and has contracts expiring in perfect time to keep the turnover going and/or retain the players that work out.

The BMac haters can suck a butt. Dude crushed it this week.

Moving Oshie's hit gets it done, and if they did want a cost move, it won't be to save a million or less on an impact player. McMike has real value, Milano's occasional spark is worth the marginal cost difference, and Dowd makes a real difference when he's healthy.

They'd eyeball a larger cap hit to either create real space or get back a worthwhile but slightly cheaper guy.
This just screams TVR, obv. Tho as mentioned a few times, Sandin could as well.

Can’t say he looked all that “indispensable” at the end of the year and the playoffs.

Reactions: Calicaps

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Reactions: SherVaughn30

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
This just screams TVR, obv. Tho as mentioned a few times, Sandin could as well.

Can’t say he looked all that “indispensable” at the end of the year and the playoffs.
My recollection is that Sandin was very up and down last year. If the FO thinks he can find consistency closer to his best performances, then he's worth keeping. But if the brain trust doubts his ability to do that, I'd move him now. Milano, Sandin, and picks for Ehlers and McGroarty!

Reactions: Ridley Simon

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Curious if Ryan Leonard views the current roster differently than the end of last season and contemplates a jump the the Pros for 2024-2025?

What has that got to do with anything? We made the Playoffs last season and he could have literally joined to a Playoff team.

I don't think it has anything to do with how we look/looked as a team and everything to do with him doing what he thinks is best for his development.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Anyone have a list of who is left in FA?
Not much left. Tarasenko, Henrique, Skinner, Janmark, JVR, Blais, Cousins, Kylington, Schmidt, Brodie, Brannstrom, Suter, Boqvist, DeAngelo, Barrie.

I think if anything should get Leonard to rethink things it's TJ Oshie being done. That's a very high profile special teams role potentially right there for the taking.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Not much left. Tarasenko, Henrique, Skinner, Janmark, JVR, Blais, Cousins, Kylington, Schmidt, Brodie, Brannstrom, Suter, Boqvist, DeAngelo, Barrie.

I think if anything should get Leonard to rethink things it's TJ Oshie being done. That's a very high profile special teams role potentially right there for the taking.
I’d take a flyer on JVR. Or Tarasenko. However money would need to go out, for a more than Vet Min contract.

Also players would need to go out, as the roster is basically full (or overfilled, wrt to D-Men)

Last edited:

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
As long as BMac dumps the UFAs at the deadline I'm all aboard. But if we're the 7-8 seed and go all in, keep everyone and get nothing of value back I'll be a little disappointed. That said, impressive off-season for us so far. I'm surprised he's been able to pull some of this off. Chychrun more than anything...you telling me nobody would offer more than Nick Jensen and a 3rd for him? Wow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad