GDT: Free Agency Frenzy (July 1st @ 12pm ET)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How would you grade GMBM off-season so far?

• A

Votes: 72 84.7%
  • B

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • C

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • D

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
Also worth noting: Outside of Friedman's "potential signings" list he posted much earlier today, there weren't really any other rumblings of Roy to WSH--at least, when compared to all of the "confirmed rumors" for big-name defensemen that came out well before free agency officially began. And, as far as I'm aware, there were zero rumors of Chychrun to WSH. Completely on-brand for the tight-lipped Caps organization.

The more confirmed rumors came out earlier today regarding big-name defensemen, and the longer Roy's name didn't appear in any of those rumors, the more I felt like GMBM had already secured the deal.
There were rumors the Caps were in on Chychrun back around January when the Sens were looking to move him in-season and the Caps still thought they might be in a position to buy. There hadn't been anything since the season ended though.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
I like the low Cap % on Goalie approach this lo KS us in to for the next few years. Maximize the F & D Cap % and make life easier for the goalies to shine under less pressure.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I’d assume the UFA signings are finished at this point. Maybe some more trades in the works and some Hershey signings? They might not even need Hershey signings at this point

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
So what do we expect Sandin to be moved for? That's the next logical move.

Maybe McGroarty?
No need to move him, Sandin-TVR is a great 3rd pairing. Chychrun's only on a one year deal, so I think they keep Sandin at least through next season. If Chychrun re-signs then maybe Sandin is trade bait, but if not Sandin moves back up the lineup. Alexeyev's maybe the one who moves if he has any value around the league.

Reactions: pman25 and Hivemind

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Carlson - Fever
Chychrun - Roy
Tvr - Sandin
Bear
You have the sides wrong on most pairings.

Fever - Carlson
Chychrun - Roy
Sandin - TVR

Honestly, I think Chychurn get's a run with Carlson and I could easily see Sandin and Roy being a new version of the old Orlov - Niskanen pairing. I'd hope they run a much more balanced minutes distribution for the d pairs this year.

Reactions: DWGie26

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
No need to move him, Sandin-TVR is a great 3rd pairing. Chychrun's only on a one year deal, so I think they keep Sandin at least through next season. If Chychrun re-signs then maybe Sandin is trade bait, but if not Sandin moves back up the lineup. Alexeyev's maybe the one who moves if he has any value around the league.
They still have to move $3.6Mish off the books, no?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You have the sides wrong on most pairings.

Fever - Carlson
Chychrun - Roy
Sandin - TVR

Honestly, I think Chychurn get's a run with Carlson and I could easily see Sandin and Roy being a new version of the old Orlov - Niskanen pairing. I'd hope they run a much more balanced minutes distribution for the d pairs this year.
So…

Chychrun - Carlson
Sandin - Roy
Fever - TVR

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Like the Raddysh addition (assuming 1 year, $1M is correct).

Don't like the Duhaime contract (assuming 2 years, $1.85M is correct). He's a guy who will be a fan favorite for leaving it all out there, but he's probably best suited as a 13th/14th forward.

Reactions: The Instigator

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer

Don't like the Duhaime contract (assuming 2 years, $1.85M is correct). He's a guy who will be a fan favorite for leaving it all out there, but he's probably best suited as a 13th/14th forward.
I'll be honest I don't know a ton about Duhaime but from what I have read and what you said he will be a pain in the ass, someone needs to PK too. I am fine with making our AHL guys prove it and take his spot and if he gets scratched so be it. Good problem to have if we are arguing over who plays 4th line minutes.

Reactions: Calicaps

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2010

Agree on both. The Raddysh signing is good business, especially with what he put up before last year. No risk and some decent reward on that.

For Duhaime I just don't know if it was necessary. I do like him, he's a great 4th line energy guy, but I'm not sure it's worth pushing someone off the roster. Especially given they already grabbed Raddysh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad