GDT: Free Agency Frenzy (July 1st @ 12pm ET)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How would you grade GMBM off-season so far?

• A

Votes: 72 83.7%
  • B

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • C

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • D

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Term on Roy is a bit heavy, but Mac's shown skill in moving contracts, so that's a problem for another day. And the Chycrun deal is so great... Terrific D additions!

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
I'm gonna go ahead and take a victory lap here. Posted this last Tuesday. I guessed TVR instead of Jensen, but...

The Senator I really want is the guy who's actually available and the Caps have been rumored to be interested in in the past, Chychrun. He's 26 so he fits the age range MacLellan's been looking for. Assuming he's willing to sign here long term, offer the Sens McMichael + TVR (they need RHD badly) + picks as needed, then sign Pesce or Roy to replace TVR.

Chychrun-Pesce/Roy
Fehervary-Carlson
Sandin-Jensen

Chychrun-Pesce/Roy isn't an amazing 1st pairing, but with TVR moving out they only add around 7.5-8.5M against the cap, and bumping last year's 1st and 2nd pairing down to 2nd and 3rd makes for pretty ridiculous depth. If we're gonna roll with three defensively deficient centers in Strome, PLD, and Lapierre next year they need a big upgrade on the blueline.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Getting 2 Top-4 D is F-ing awesome, love GMBM taking D corps seriously

Already one of the best WSH offseasons in many years

Only other move I could imagine is packaging a cpl fwds to bring in a 40g scorer (which is Cinderella territory)

:popcorn:
40 might be aggressive but Ehlers is a 25-30 goal scorer who could probably get to 35.

Ehlers and McGroarty for McMichael, Alexyev, 1st. Sign the painting GMBM

Reactions: MileHighCapsFan

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Also worth noting: Outside of Friedman's "potential signings" list he posted much earlier today, there weren't really any other rumblings of Roy to WSH--at least, when compared to all of the "confirmed rumors" for big-name defensemen that came out well before free agency officially began. And, as far as I'm aware, there were zero rumors of Chychrun to WSH. Completely on-brand for the tight-lipped Caps organization.

The more confirmed rumors came out earlier today regarding big-name defensemen, and the longer Roy's name didn't appear in any of those rumors, the more I felt like GMBM had already secured the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad