Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Do you guys think we will get Karlsson back before or at the deadline when it's apparent the Penguins aren't in the playoff race?

Ironically, I could see him ending up in Montreal. They have almost 20M in cap next year after price goes on LTIR, and they have no big raises to give.

They are one of the only teams that could take him with minimal to no cap considerations that he actually might waive his NMC for given they are an hour or two away from Ottawa. They already made a similar trade to acquire Laine.

I can't see us getting Karlsson unless Chabot is going the other way. I don't know that s rebuilding Pittsburgh would want Chabot. It would probably have to be a 3-way trade where we let them shop Chabot for picks+prospects, they send us Karlsson, and they send a third team Chabot with some sort of cap considerations (they retain on Chabot or take back bad contracts).

The reason a 3-way deal makes sense is because they would have an easier team getting a return on Chabot @ 5M-6M than Karlsson with similar retention because Karlsson has a full NMC, and Chabot only has a limited one.

Maybe something like Karlsson to Ottawa, Chabot to NYI, Mayfield+(picks and prospects) to Pittsburgh. Mayfield being a proxy for retention.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Ironically, I could see him ending up in Montreal. They have almost 20M in cap next year after price goes on LTIR, and they have no big raises to give.

They are one of the only teams that could take him with minimal to no cap considerations that he actually might waive his NMC for given they are an hour or two away from Ottawa. They already made a similar trade to acquire Laine.

I can't see us getting Karlsson unless Chabot is going the other way. I don't know that s rebuilding Pittsburgh would want Chabot. It would probably have to be a 3-way trade where we let them shop Chabot for picks+prospects, they send us Karlsson, and they send a third team Chabot with some sort of cap considerations (they retain on Chabot or take back bad contracts).

The reason a 3-way deal makes sense is because they would have an easier team getting a return on Chabot @ 5M-6M than Karlsson with similar retention because Karlsson has a full NMC, and Chabot only has a limited one.

Maybe something like Karlsson to Ottawa, Chabot to NYI, Mayfield+(picks and prospects) to Pittsburgh. Mayfield being a proxy for retention.
Chabot going the other way would be the goal

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Tony DeAngelo?
13 points in 8 games playing in the KHL.
Right shot dman. I know he has issues.
He would have been an interesting PTO?
It bothered me to think it, but I brought it up before TC and think we should have at least tried it.

Good skater with great offensive instincts and is chippy, if not tough.

I want a team that wins, and he would have helped with that.

He may not have been interested in coming to Ottawa though.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
A deal involving Chabot for Karlsson would be dope.

I love how Norris has been playing, but if he gets injured as well, trade him to Pittsburgh too.

Just need players that won't be getting injured at this point lol

Stutzlaaaa

Dec 18, 2021
Stephane Da Costa was really good in KHL too, means jack shit.
For EK I think it's too early too talk about his return but if he wants to get back to Ottawa for sure we will make room for him. We can be creative by trading Chabot to rebuilding team as EK will be an upgrade then pitt can retain some of his salary and we give them picks/prospect we got from Chabby.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Chabot going the other way would be the goal

It's not really getting rid of Chabot if we're taking back a contract that has 2 years left at 10 million per. We have to still want Karlsson in that top 4 position more than Chabot.

I don't think bringing Karlsson back makes any sense from an on or off ice perspective, but as a fan of pure chaos, I would be lying if I said it wouldn't be entertaining to see it happen.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It's Karlsson's salary and cap hit (plus age) that are the major concerns for me. I don't think we can afford him unless the other team retains substantial salary and cap hit and takes someone like Chabot back.

We also need a big, tough, physic D who can play a sound defensive game.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
as much as i want it, now we can't do chabot for karlsson anymore, too many moving parts. the time was 1 or 2 years ago.

now we probably have to wait until karlsson is in his last year with heavy retention or get him as ufa.

it's frustrating though. if we had karlsson instead of chabot last two years we probably make the playoffs.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
as much as i want it, now we can't do chabot for karlsson anymore, too many moving parts. the time was 1 or 2 years ago.

now we probably have to wait until karlsson is in his last year with heavy retention or get him as ufa.

it's frustrating though. if we had karlsson instead of chabot last two years we probably make the playoffs.
Can karlsson play goalie ?

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

listen im a big karlsson fan and would happily have him back on the team but unless he learned how to play goalie the bolded isnt true

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Can karlsson play goalie ?

listen im a big karlsson fan and would happily have him back on the team but unless he learned how to play goalie the bolded isnt true

our problem has been systematic team play just as much as goalies. and 2 years ago we were pretty close before the team had that spectacular choke job.

we swap chabot for a norris trophy karlsson that season we make it.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
our problem has been systematic team play just as much as goalies. and 2 years ago we were pretty close before the team had that spectacular choke job.

Maybe the year before last there was an avenue to get in, but last years goaltending was a train wreck no team would overcome, regardless of team play in front of them. Korpisalo/Forsberg took terrible to a whole new level.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Karlsson not exactly known for strong systemic team play. But we’ve been over this

Reactions: Micklebot

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
It's Karlsson's salary and cap hit (plus age) that are the major concerns for me. I don't think we can afford him unless the other team retains substantial salary and cap hit and takes someone like Chabot back.

We also need a big, tough, physic D who can play a sound defensive game.

Karlsson for Chabot is a positive cap wise and real money wise for the Senators.

After this season, Karlsson has 2 years remaining at 10M per (8.25M real money AAV).

Thomas Chabot has 3 years remaining at 8M per (9.33M real money AAV).

It's +2M in cap, but we gain cap flexibility since Karlsson is off the books on year sooner than Chabot.

I don't see any other way the trade can work. The priority that Pittsburgh will have if they move him will be to recoup picks+prospects, which is going to be difficult.

A trade for Chabot makes sense for Pittsburgh if there is no market for Karlsson, which there probably won't be. There is apparently no market for Chabot either without cap considerations (per Garrioch last TDL), but he is a more dynamic asset with upside for Pittsburgh to recoup picks+prospects 1-2 years down the line. If they keep Karlsson, they are unlikely to ever get anything for him because of his NMC.

They could hold on to Chabot for a year or two, and with the cap going up, maybe they can get something for him at some point since he only has a 10 team list, and his remaining term won't be very restrictive. I suggested a 3-way trade in an earlier post, which would likely be ideal for the Penguins since they would get their picks+prospects guaranteed, but that's a difficult trade to pull off.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Karlsson not exactly known for strong systemic team play. But we’ve been over this

karlsson made his own system that heavily contributed to positive team play, like a qb, and it has driven possession his whole career.

his passes and poise put other players in a position to succeed. he could speed play up or slow play down. the latter is what we badly need. this team can't play slow possession passing hockey for its life.

just fast chaos all the time. both ways.

and ironically its chabot who might be the biggest poster boy for this. all his good plays need to be high speed highlight reel plays. when we would benefit much more form a player who can make little indirect plays that gives us incremental advantages and controls possession and the flow of the game.

Last edited:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
They could hold on to Chabot for a year or two, and with the cap going up, maybe they can get something for him at some point since he only has a 10 team list, and his remaining term won't be very restrictive. I suggested a 3-way trade in an earlier post, which would likely be ideal for the Penguins since they would get their picks+prospects guaranteed, but that's a difficult trade to pull off.
Worst case, they have someone on the roster to eat minutes if their GM finally commits to a rebuild after this season. They'll know by December if the Letang, Crosby, Malkin trio can have one more run at going deep in the playoffs

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
If you trade for Karlsson then you have to go out and find him a Methot. Not Sanderson because he needs to carry his own pairing, it'd be a waste to turn him into Karlsson's clean-up guy (especially when Sanderson is the better player at the moment).

It's just completely unrealistic, and doesn't make any sense to bring him back. Not to mention, Karlsson hasn't exactly shown to be a reliable player if he isn't the #1 dman on his team. This is a player that needs to control the puck in order for him to be special. If you expect to just slot him in as our #2 guy behind Jake Sanderson then it's not going to go well, he doesn't do well in that role.

The only chance of Karlsson ever coming back is when his deal is up and he's already adjusted his playstyle to be a bit more of a stable supporting piece rather than a franchise player you build your team around. I imagine Karlsson will be 100% interested in coming back to Ottawa when his deal is up if he can still play (he would probably take a hometown discount too), but the question would be does Ottawa want him?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Karlsson idea was dead in the water after we drafted Yakemchuk

We'll have Zub and Yakemchuk occupying the top 4 RD roles before too long.

We should just try to get rid of Chabot, not add another overpaid offensive D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad