Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Do you guys think we will get Karlsson back before or at the deadline when it's apparent the Penguins aren't in the playoff race?

Ironically, I could see him ending up in Montreal. They have almost 20M in cap next year after price goes on LTIR, and they have no big raises to give.

They are one of the only teams that could take him with minimal to no cap considerations that he actually might waive his NMC for given they are an hour or two away from Ottawa. They already made a similar trade to acquire Laine.

I can't see us getting Karlsson unless Chabot is going the other way. I don't know that s rebuilding Pittsburgh would want Chabot. It would probably have to be a 3-way trade where we let them shop Chabot for picks+prospects, they send us Karlsson, and they send a third team Chabot with some sort of cap considerations (they retain on Chabot or take back bad contracts).

The reason a 3-way deal makes sense is because they would have an easier team getting a return on Chabot @ 5M-6M than Karlsson with similar retention because Karlsson has a full NMC, and Chabot only has a limited one.

Maybe something like Karlsson to Ottawa, Chabot to NYI, Mayfield+(picks and prospects) to Pittsburgh. Mayfield being a proxy for retention.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad