Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The time to get Kaliyev has passed imo unless he comes as a pure dump and we are willing to make him an extra and have macewen in the minors

We need a more proven forward and a more proven dman. Only way we should go for potential is if it's actually a high potential player like mcgroarty

Kaliyev's potential is pretty high. He also isn't your prototypical small forward who scores. He has size and can be engaged physically at times.

We really don't have a lot of depth at forward. If he is available for something like a third round pick or a B prospect and he is willing to sign a cheap 1 year deal to bridge himself to arbitration, he wouldn't be a bad addition.

There are going to be injuries and he is someone who can play on the PP or possibly be positioned as a complimentary guy on a more offensive line if one of the legit top 6 is hurt.

I wouldn't go out and give up major assets for him, but I doubt he will be expensive at this point.

We need NHL level forwards and defensemen on cheap contracts for depth. They aren't as easy to find at 1M per, especially for a Canadian team.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Anyways, back on topic

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Kaliyev's potential is pretty high. He also isn't your prototypical small forward who scores. He has size and can be engaged physically at times.

We really don't have a lot of depth at forward. If he is available for something like a third round pick or a B prospect and he is willing to sign a cheap 1 year deal to bridge himself to arbitration, he wouldn't be a bad addition.

There are going to be injuries and he is someone who can play on the PP or possibly be positioned as a complimentary guy on a more offensive line if one of the legit top 6 is hurt.

I wouldn't go out and give up major assets for him, but I doubt he will be expensive at this point.

We need NHL level forwards and defensemen on cheap contracts for depth. They aren't as easy to find at 1M per, especially for a Canadian team.
Its not about hitting for me (as much). He is about to start his 4th full season, is coming off a season of 15 pts (on pace for 24), isnt fully established in terms of a role and will probably require 1.5 million per in his next contract.

Dont know if we should be the team to give him that contract as we most likely have to sign 2 forwards and a dman with our remaining cap and that puts us towards signing players for minimum to fill out the team. If we are spending a larger allotment of a remaining cap it should be for a dman.

Now if he is willing to sign for the minimum (or at least under 1 million) then i have no problem getting him to come and fight it out

Right now for forwards we have 4 roster spots open (entire 4th line and extra forward) and i rather there be a full on competition for that spot instead of salary dictating it (unless that salary leads to an established forward or someone with elite potential)

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I'm thinking Kaliyev should get a 3rd, just like Shane Prince back in the day. Both are Russian scoring wingers who showed some element of proficiency in the NHL but were criticized for having more of a 1-way type game. Prince returned to Russia a few years after being traded, but he had his moments.
Prince is American I thought.

You're right, he is American. Sometimes I get him and Matt Puempel mixed up.
Puempel is from Ontario

• Haha
Reactions: milkbag

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
My pet peeve is when people spell player names wrong. I already know it’s going to be a long year with the “Klevin” situation.

Agreed. While at the same time declaring how good, or bad, that player is.

As for Klevin I'm 100% confident that he'll be a modern day Jared Cowan, with a dash Shea Webber. Maybe throw in a bit of Hal Gil and we're good to go!

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Dude is a waiver wire pick up at this point. Wouldn't trade anything for him.

He would be claimed in a second on waivers by teams ahead of us.

The issue is likely that he doesn't have a lot of value, and the Kings want something of value for him. A 3rd is fine but pushing it. In a perfect world we would get him for a swap of another reclamation project we don't value, like JBD. Although, it's looking like we might need him on defense with our lack of NHL depth.

Reclamation projects, especially scorers, sometimes work out. You have to keep in mind that we have almost no depth, and almost no cap space. This wouldn't be a Jenik type situation, where we roll the dice and if he is assigned to the AHL who cares. This is closer to Brannstrom going to Colorado. Kaliyev has almost 200 NHL games. This would be acquiring a player who on our team would be a lock for the NHL and likely sign a cheap 1 year deal.

Sending LAK one of our goalie prospects makes sense. That seems to be a position of weakness in their system. If we sign Ullmark, then there is a ceiling on a prospect like Sogaard, whose value likely isn't super high right now anyways. I would want to get Kaliyev for less than Sogaard, but Sogaard for Kaliyev seems like a fair swap.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
He would be claimed in a second on waivers by teams ahead of us.

The issue is likely that he doesn't have a lot of value, and the Kings want something of value for him. A 3rd is fine but pushing it. In a perfect world we would get him for a swap of another reclamation project we don't value, like JBD. Although, it's looking like we might need him on defense with our lack of NHL depth.

Reclamation projects, especially scorers, sometimes work out. You have to keep in mind that we have almost no depth, and almost no cap space. This wouldn't be a Jenik type situation, where we roll the dice and if he is assigned to the AHL who cares. This is closer to Brannstrom going to Colorado. Kaliyev has almost 200 NHL games. This would be acquiring a player who on our team would be a lock for the NHL and likely sign a cheap 1 year deal.

Sending LAK one of our goalie prospects makes sense. That seems to be a position of weakness in their system. If we sign Ullmark, then there is a ceiling on a prospect like Sogaard, whose value likely isn't super high right now anyways. I would want to get Kaliyev for less than Sogaard, but Sogaard for Kaliyev seems like a fair swap.

I wouldn't trade - or ever discuss - any of a 3rd, JBD or Sogaard for Kaliyev.

Personally I wouldn't bother with Kaliyev at all, but in terms of value, I'd say he's worth a late round pick. You're basically paying to jump to the front of the waiver line.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.

Personally I wouldn't bother with Kaliyev at all, but in terms of value, I'd say he's worth a late round pick. You're basically paying to jump to the front of the waiver line.
The only reason I can think of why Staios would be interested Kaliyev as a possible shooting replacement for Norris if Norris is not back.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
The only reason I can think of why Staios would be interested Kaliyev as a possible shooting replacement for Norris if Norris is not back.
Our top 6 is already on the slower side and pretty poor defensively. I can’t see a world where subbing in Kaliyev for Norris, even temporarily, would work even a little bit. On the PP you might as well just use Pinto in Norris’ spot.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ

5 teams: Dallas Stars, Montreal Canadiens, San Jose Sharks, Buffalo Sabres, and Ottawa Senators are all connected to Kaliyev.
Low offer from Ottawa will not be accepted by LA, because Ottawa is not only one team which is interested in Kaliev.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
5 teams: Dallas Stars, Montreal Canadiens, San Jose Sharks, Buffalo Sabres, and Ottawa Senators are all connected to Kaliyev.
Low offer from Ottawa will not be accepted by LA, because Ottawa is not only one team which is interested in Kaliev.
That’s good to hear, since not wanted.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Ok, we'll move on. Thanks anyway!

Reactions: kinghock

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If the Kings were getting what they wanted on Kaliyev, he would be gone by now.

Whatever he is traded for will be a "low offer".

He also does not have to sign with them. If the relationship is strained, he can threaten to sit out, which helps neither side.

I suspect they asked for a 2nd or 3rd at the draft, and nobody bit - so now they are in the Kijiji "I know what I have!" mode of waiting for an offer that will never come.

If you can't move a player at the draft, let alone by the second week of July, and there isn't some sort of external complication like a NTC or a difficult cap situation to work through, there probably is not a strong market for them.

Reactions: TheNewEra

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Just because multiple teams are interested doesn’t mean they will all just start out bidding eachother until you get some great return.

Reactions: DrEasy and Arogie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad