Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I think Perron was signed for the middle 6. As someone else said, think a similar role to Tarasenko last year.

A third line veteran who can slot up higher in the lineup if needed.

Lets hope the intangibles he brings add up to more wins

Who you got going the other way

We have nothing to give them, unless we're doing something wild like giving up a 1st round pick.

If we're in on him, either the price is super low, or they value someone in our system much higher than we think they are actually worth, like Boucher.

I would guess any one prospect outside of the NHL from our system that wasn't drafted in 2024, and our 2nd next year. With the only caveat being it can't be Kleven because we need him. Ostapchuk, Boucher, Sogaard, etc.

Out of that list, Ostapchuk might be the best fit for them because he is a few years into his development, and while it is a gamble over what he will become, he will absolutely play in the NHL.

Reactions: NB613 and DrEasy

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I agree with the comments here stating that we're headed for another shit season yet again with not making the playoffs. By no means does it mean that it is acceptable. Why can't we do anything to turn this around? It's 8 years now.
It would be a disaster if the team isn't in the hunt, mostly because we've traded away assets and we'll be losing a 1st round pick soon. The team's asset list is consistent with what you'd expect of a Cup contender/winner (ie. barren).

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It would be a disaster if the team isn't in the hunt, mostly because we've traded away assets and we'll be losing a 1st round pick soon. The team's asset list is consistent with what you'd expect of a Cup contender/winner (ie. barren).
You're not wrong. I've followed the Oilers closely the last couple years and in a lot of ways, it's felt like we're working with a similar situation despite being at opposite ends of the success spectrum. Capped out trying to get creative with minimal assets at their disposal.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Lets hope the intangibles he brings add up to more wins

Who you got going the other way
Shawn Simpson was suggesting trading out first round pick for McGroarty. If we did that trade I would want to try to get the rights to Dmitri Rashevsky. Getting the rights to Logan Stanley would also be nice but I don't know what he is looking for in terms of a contract.

I don't know what a fair price is for McGroarty. But if we had to add more then I would be willing to part ways with JBD, Jarventie or Sogaard. Jarventie because he doesn't really fit the identity Staios is going for and will likely get traded at some point anyway and Sogaard because I don't want to lose him on waivers for nothing.

If it costs a 1st and Jarventie/Sogaard for McGroarty then I would demand that the right to Dmitri Rashevsky be in the deal. He isn't at the Jets development camp so they would likely be open to parting ways with his rights. He has the compete that Staios likes and there is some real skill there.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
I didn't see it at first and resisted the thought.. But the reality is, their moves smack of a second rebuild.

Perron, Giroux, Jensen, are 1-2 year guys. It will buy them time for their 2024 to 2026 picks to come and develop.

now add Batherson, Chabot, Norris and Zub. And a further 2-4 chips can be flipped for youth and picks.

the new FYOUS is now for 2027.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think Perron was signed for the middle 6. As someone else said, think a similar role to Tarasenko last year.

A third line veteran who can slot up higher in the lineup if needed.

We have nothing to give them, unless we're doing something wild like giving up a 1st round pick.

If we're in on him, either the price is super low, or they value someone in our system much higher than we think they are actually worth, like Boucher.

I would guess any one prospect outside of the NHL from our system that wasn't drafted in 2024, and our 2nd next year. With the only caveat being it can't be Kleven because we need him. Ostapchuk, Boucher, Sogaard, etc.

Out of that list, Ostapchuk might be the best fit for them because he is a few years into his development, and while it is a gamble over what he will become, he will absolutely play in the NHL.

They'd want something very good for McGroarty and Rashevshy.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Anyone think grieg could be part of the Rutger deal?

Not a chance.

I really don't see us pulling off a McGroarty trade. The best I could see us offering is something like our 2025 2nd and Jarventie, and I'm expecting another team to beat that.

I don't see us trading a 1st, I don't see us trading prospects like Ostapchuk or Kleven, and I definitely don't see us trading someone as good and important as Greig.

Last edited:

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I'd take the risk and trade our next 1st for McGroarty if he'd sign and play here. Drafting a forward like McGroarty is what we'd want with our next 1st anyway and he's three years ahead of where our pick would be so he'd contribute much sooner. Great mix of character and skill and good bluechip level forward added to Stutzle/Tkachuk.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
McGroarty would be fine since he's 20 and is still a prospect, but we have no more picks/prospects to trade for short-term acquisitions.

In the last 4 years we have lost:

Formenton (to off-ice issues)
2022 1st (traded for DeBrincat)
2022 2nd (traded for DeBrincat)
2023 1st (traded for Chychrun)
2024 2nd (traded for Chychrun)
2026 2nd (traded for Chychrun)
2025 or 2026 1st (Dadonov penalty)

Is there a single team that lost more young assets during that period? I don't know if there was.

All we have left to show for it is Ullmark (UFA in a year who hopefully re-signs) and Jensen (2 year stopgap).

Compounding this is that our scouting staff decided to go full Burke from 2021-2024 and blow a bunch of high picks drafting for size and toughness over skill and IQ.

Top 10 pick was wasted on Boucher and two 2nds were spent on Roger and Nordberg, two big reaches who are busts at this point. We'll see what becomes of Yakemchuk and Eliasson, but IMO there were smarter options on the board when they were taken.

When you lose more young assets trying and failing to make the playoffs than contenders who are trying to put their team over the top to win a cup, that's just embarrassing.

The damage Dorion has done to this franchise is unbelievable. Truly one of the worst GMs this league has ever seen.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
McGroarty would be fine since he's 20 and is still a prospect, but we have no more picks/prospects to trade for short-term acquisitions.

In the last 4 years we have lost:

Formenton (to off-ice issues)
2022 1st (traded for DeBrincat)
2022 2nd (traded for DeBrincat)
2023 1st (traded for Chychrun)
2024 2nd (traded for Chychrun)
2026 2nd (traded for Chychrun)
2025 or 2026 1st (Dadonov penalty)

Is there a single team that lost more young assets during that period? I don't know if there was.

All we have left to show for it is Ullmark (UFA in a year who hopefully re-signs) and Jensen (2 year stopgap).

Compounding this is that our scouting staff decided to go full Burke from 2021-2024 and blow a bunch of high picks drafting for size and toughness over skill and IQ.

Top 10 pick was wasted on Boucher and two 2nds were spent on Roger and Nordberg, two big reaches who are busts at this point. We'll see what becomes of Yakemchuk and Eliasson, but IMO there were smarter options on the board when they were taken.

When you lose more young assets trying and failing to make the playoffs than contenders who are trying to put their team over the top to win a cup, that's just embarrassing.

The damage Dorion has done to this franchise is unbelievable. Truly one of the worst GMs this league has ever seen.

The way I look at it, if we bring in McGroarty, there's no more need for top picks for our core. Between drafting Yakemchuk and adding McGroarty to the forwards there's your final pieces and the only thing needing attention going forward would be the odd second line winger UFA signing every few years and bottom six tweaking which is very doable without top picks for a couple years.

If we can bring in McGroarty for Ostapchuk and a 2nd, absolutely I'd be all over that. But if I'm being realistic and taking off my Sens bias, there's no way Winnipeg does a trade like that. They want value in return and I'd have no problem going as high as the 1st rounder. Players like McGroarty are hard to get. I'd be thrilled if we drafted a comparable prospect next summer.

I’m not sure. I could see mcgroarty being thrown directly onto the 1st or 2nd line if here. Greig not so much.
I'd absolutely swap Grieg for McGroarty if Winnipeg would take that.

I love Grieg, but McGroarty is higher level IMO.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
The way I look at it, if we bring in McGroarty, there's no more need for top picks for our core. Between drafting Yakemchuk and adding McGroarty to the forwards there's your final pieces and the only thing needing attention going forward would be the odd second line winger UFA signing every few years and bottom six tweaking which is very doable without top picks for a couple years.

If we can bring in McGroarty for Ostapchuk and a 2nd, absolutely I'd be all over that. But if I'm being realistic and taking off my Sens bias, there's no way Winnipeg does a trade like that. They want value in return and I'd have no problem going as high as the 1st rounder. Players like McGroarty are hard to get. I'd be thrilled if we drafted a comparable prospect next summer.

This is the same argument Trent Mann made after drafting Tyler Boucher. Basically "we're all set, we can draft a checker tenth overall now!". No healthy organization - which, let me remind everyone, hasn't made the playoffs in seven seasons - approaches prospects with this "we're set now" philosophy. You always want to have young, cheap talent coming through the organization.

Last edited:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I've (just) noticed that absolutely no one has mentioned Kubalik at all. No rumours, no mentions, no interest, no interviews.

Feels pretty good i guess. Prolly not for him, but for me I mean.

Has there been a more forgettable Senator?
Watch him end up signing in Edmonton and finding a way to suck away McDrai's production

Give them Ostapchuk + 2nd.

Ostapchuk is great but Rutger is essentially Ostapchuk with top 6 skillset instead.
Add Boucher from our end to make it seem like they're getting some first round talent and make it happen Staios

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I've (just) noticed that absolutely no one has mentioned Kubalik at all. No rumours, no mentions, no interest, no interviews.

He's up there. Along with Tyler Arnason lol

h2

Mar 26, 2002
This is the same argument Trent Mann made after drafting Tyler Boucher. Basically "we're all set, we can draft a checker tenth overall now!". No healthy organization approaches prospects like this. You always want to have young, cheap talent coming through the organization.
Not sure I see the connection here.

McGroarty is a vastly superior prospect compared to Boucher at the time of Boucher's draft, and he's literally young and cheap talent that you described as something an organization wants coming through.

I thought it was fairly obvious that the organization was still multiple bluechippers away in 2021. Drafting Yakemchuk and adding McGroarty would make me feel very satisfied with the overall core going forward.

He's up there. Along with Tyler Arnason lol

Matt Gilroy, Mike Lundin lol

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014

Guy Boucher's pet winger whose name I genuinely forget.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Not sure I see the connection here.

McGroarty is a vastly superior prospect compared to Boucher at the time of Boucher's draft, and he's literally young and cheap talent that you described as something an organization wants coming through.

I thought it was fairly obvious that the organization was still multiple bluechippers away in 2021. Drafting Yakemchuk and adding McGroarty would make me feel very satisfied with the overall core going forward.

Matt Gilroy, Mike Lundin lol

I'm making an argument against this idea that a team like Ottawa is "done" building. That continuing to replenish the organization with high end talent isn't going to be important going forward. Guys get hurt. Guys retire. Guys ask for trades. You never know what the future holds.

I disagree with your original statement that "there's no more need for top picks for our core".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad