Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I don't disagree, it is concerning. I suspect though that JBD will become a very serviceable 3rd pairing D, but if he can be upgraded through trade, great. I would really rather not see him dumped for nothing so the Sens can add an aging replacement for the sake of "experience" - especially for what should be 16 minutes per game of mostly manageable opposition.

I get that the desire is playoffs, but I think Staios being able to fix everything Dorion did wrong in one off season is a tall order. I'm tempering my expectations for this season.
I agree but at the same time if the expected potential of JBD is 3rd pairing dman then replacing him in the future shouldnt be difficult. Every year a significant amount of 3rd pairing dmen/bottom 6 forwards become available on the fa market, its just a matter of not being drunk when offering them contracts

so if his upside is #6 dman then replacing him and having a hole open up for our team in the future isnt that big of a deal imo. Also there is no mostly manageable opposition for us until proven otherwise.

Reactions: Blotto71

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Realistically we have very little in the way of assets that we can give up. I think that's the frustrating thing that Dorion has done.

Half of a rebuild is amassing draft capital and nailing picks. This was only partially done as we traded away draft capital like it was candy.

The other half is spending assets on guys that have beat the odds and are good enough to play in the NHL / make an impact in the NHL. All of the cup contenders have done this and continue to do this. We have failed miserably in this because of the way our org loves to hand out assets.

Add on missing a 1st in the next two seasons and it is painful...

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Wouldn't his qualifying offer be 5.5M?

I'm often seeing people listing qualifying offers as the same as the last year's salary, when it most definitely used to be last salary+10%.

Has this changed recently for so many people to not include the +10% or is everyone forgetting that part?

Depends on the salary. Above a certain amount (league average perhaps?), a QO is 100% of the last salary.

Reactions: BigRig4

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Realistically we have very little in the way of assets that we can give up. I think that's the frustrating thing that Dorion has done.

Half of a rebuild is amassing draft capital and nailing picks. This was only partially done as we traded away draft capital like it was candy.

The other half is spending assets on guys that have beat the odds and are good enough to play in the NHL / make an impact in the NHL. All of the cup contenders have done this and continue to do this. We have failed miserably in this because of the way our org loves to hand out assets.

Add on missing a 1st in the next two seasons and it is painful...

And because we had the worst/smallest scouting group in the league.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
We can't go into the season with a Kleven-JBD pairing.

JBD is a very meh #6 guy right now who can get better, but he's more 'established' than Kleven. Until Kleven can cement himself as an NHL regular, we can't be relying on him to do anything.

LD or RD, we need someone established that'll be <2million.

Can't think of who would sign for that little. Maybe Tinordi, Shattenkirk, Bortuzzo, maybe someone like Scandella takes a pay cut or Goligoski takes the league minimum?

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If he won't sign in Winnipeg, why would he sign for us??

Dude is trying to pick where he goes. Ottawa isn't it.

There is room to negotiate on an ELC. Performance bonuses. For example, Michkov received close to the max level of performance bonuses, despite being selected 7th overall. Korchinski was selected 7th overall the year before and received a 1.9M AAV, Michkov received 4.25M.

Also, we can nearly guarantee him an NHL spot. Which isn't the same as saying they will keep him in the NHL no matter what. But if you look at our 4th line, it would be reasonable to say to him that they are acquiring him for the NHL and foresee him playing there to start the season because they have open spots.

Our bottom 6 is wide open. We don't have 12 forwards who are locks for the NHL.

I can't see what we could reasonably offer Winnipeg. We don't really have prospects that teams should want in trades. Obviously, Yakemchuk is untouchable because we just took him at 7. Who are our most valuable prospects? Sogaard, Ostapchuk, Kleven, Boucher? We aren't likely trading Kleven because we need him in the NHL this season or next season. The other players named aren't really of high value. I also doubt we are in a position to move our 1st rounder.

I don't see how we can make a strong offer unless they really like Boucher or another prospect out of left field and we can do Boucher and picks.

Reactions: bicboi64

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I can't see what we could reasonably offer Winnipeg. We don't really have prospects that teams should want in trades. Obviously, Yakemchuk is untouchable because we just took him at 7. Who are our most valuable prospects? Sogaard, Ostapchuk, Kleven, Boucher? We aren't likely trading Kleven because we need him in the NHL this season or next season. The other players named aren't really of high value. I also doubt we are in a position to move our 1st rounder.

I don't see how we can make a strong offer unless they really like Boucher or another prospect out of left field and we can do Boucher and picks.
Winnipeg has some questionable management that loves their vets, but i don't think we'd be good dance partners with them for McGroarty (would love him on the roster though).

Best we can offer is a combination of Boucher, Ostapchuk, and some 2nd rounders. Unless Chevy puts some value on vets like McEwan/Hamonic (who waives to continue a Canada tour), can't see it happening.

Would love it if they took Norris from us and gave us a combo of McGroarty, Ehlers and a draft pick lol

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
We can't go into the season with a Kleven-JBD pairing.

JBD is a very meh #6 guy right now who can get better, but he's more 'established' than Kleven. Until Kleven can cement himself as an NHL regular, we can't be relying on him to do anything.

LD or RD, we need someone established that'll be <2million.

Can't think of who would sign for that little. Maybe Tinordi, Shattenkirk, Bortuzzo, maybe someone like Scandella takes a pay cut or Goligoski takes the league minimum?

Exactly my thoughts. All the talk is about upgrading on JBD, which is certainly a good thing, but he's more proven than Kleven. We don't have any real insurance if Kleven struggles. With JBD and Hamonic you at least know what you'll get (roughly anyway). If Kleven ends up completely over his head we have no real plan B.

Ideally we could get a D who could play both sides but that seems unlikely. I'd want a cheap vet who can definitely play LD at this point.

Reactions: LiseL and bicboi64

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I wonder if we could get Travis Dermott for league minimum, or even a two-way with decent AHL pay. Depth and competition for the bottom pairing. He's played both sides in the past IIRC.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
He’s the classic meat and potato’s player than fans and hockey execs over value at best and straight up think are way better than they are at worst. He’s got that name, the myth. Pedigree. But he’s really just not that good.

If ullmark can stop league average low danger chances than we will be in the mix with all those other shitty teams for the last playoff spot. And with a little luck we will be the team that squeaks in
And if they compete every game, not come out flat in the 1st period as they did so many times last year, and be relatively healthy, they're overall numbers should improve even more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad