Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Laughton is an aphrodisiac to some on here. I don't get it.
He’s the classic meat and potato’s player than fans and hockey execs over value at best and straight up think are way better than they are at worst. He’s got that name, the myth. Pedigree. But he’s really just not that good.

Boston and Toronto were good and improved, on paper, a lot.

Ottawa is trash and improved, on paper, maybe a little.

We aren't likely to be anywhere close to a bubble team.
If ullmark can stop league average low danger chances than we will be in the mix with all those other shitty teams for the last playoff spot. And with a little luck we will be the team that squeaks in

Reactions: LiseL

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
With all the stupid contracts signed today, you'd think some team would be happy to add Joseph at 2.95M for 2 years coming off a 0.5 PPG season with strong defensive play.

Would be ridiculous for it to cost anything as a matter of fact.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
With all the stupid contracts signed today, you'd think some team would be happy to add Joseph at 2.95M for 2 years coming off a 0.5 PPG season with strong defensive play.

Would be ridiculous for it to cost anything as a matter of fact.
Maybe to Utah for one of their 2nds? They got loads of cap space still.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Boston and Toronto were good and improved, on paper, a lot.

Ottawa is trash and improved, on paper, maybe a little.

We aren't likely to be anywhere close to a bubble team.
Upgrading Korpisalo to Ullmark is bigger than anything Boston or Toronto did on paper, it's quite literally going from one of the worst starters in the league to one of the better ones,

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Upgrading Korpisalo to Ullmark is bigger than anything Boston or Toronto did on paper, it's quite literally going from one of the worst starters in the league to one of the better ones,
Yes but until we stop being atrocious defensively, I'm not putting much stock in Ullmark.

No doubt it is a marked improvement, it paying good dividends is not a guarantee.

If we don't suck defensively then everything changes. Fingers crossed.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We got a lot better defensively just subtracting Chychrun and adding Jensen. A lot.
I want to believe but I need to see it.

Staios made the right kinds of moves but we are so, so bad; I'm not expecting the team to be good.

I'm a fan, I'm here, I'll be there to see them stop sucking. But until they do, we are still a trash team.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I want to believe but I need to see it.

Staios made the right kinds of moves but we are so, so bad; I'm not expecting the team to be good.

I'm a fan, I'm here, I'll be there to see them stop sucking. But until they do, we are still a trash team.
Most of the people who have been here through the good and the dark times share your sentiment, trust me

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes but until we stop being atrocious defensively, I'm not putting much stock in Ullmark.
Well if you look at the second half of last year, there was a marked improvement in our defensive play, it was quite obvious watching and it showed up in the stats with us going from 26th in xGA/60 through our first 41 games down to 16th in the final 41.

We also moved our one of the biggest defensive liabilities for a much better fit on the backend, and brought in a couple forwards that play a well rounded game. Add to that we'll have Pinto from day 1 instead of suspended half the year

I mean, you're complaining that we need to be better defensively otherwise changing from a legit proven terrible goalie to a legit proven good one might not matter, but all the moves made were about rounding out the roster to be better suited to playing both sides of the ice.

No doubt it is a marked improvement, it paying good dividends is not a guarantee.
So why are you not having that same attitude with Toronto or Boston?

Just like those teams did, we identified our weaknesses and made moves that on paper address them.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
- Ullmark is an improvement on Korpisalo
- Chychrun is better than Jensen offensively & will put up more pts
- Jensen is better defensively than Chychrun & harder to play against
- Perron will put up some pts & can go up & down the lineup
- Kleven will be hard to play against & tough in front of the net
- Pinto needs to be signed & is very good defensively
- Ostapchuk will be hard to play against & be tough all over the ice
- I expect that Amadio & Gregor will also be hard to play against & bring some SCup experience & be much better defensively.

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
We're unironically one of the most improved teams in the east.

We swapped the worst starting goalie for a top 10 goalie, got a top 4 RHD, and improved our third line.

Plus if Norris is healthy and Pinto plays the whole year, that's a pretty big boon.
Sure. But if you ignore all that and invent a few fake negative scenarios it looks a lot worse though

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
So why are you not having that same attitude with Toronto or Boston?

Just like those teams did, we identified our weaknesses and made moves that on paper address them.

Well see, Boston and Toronto didn't start out being a bottom feeder and have good systems already in place so adding very good players to the mix seems like a safe bet for improvement. This seems like an obvious fact.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Dude Jensen is not prime Phillips lol.

The big thing about the Jensen acquisition is that it is the type of move that gets the fanbase and players excited. Almost like Debrincat 2.0. I could see Pinto's agent picking up the phone and signing tomorrow just based on the distant possibility that Pinto could slide in beside Jensen on the second pair.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Sure. But if you ignore all that and invent a few fake negative scenarios it looks a lot worse though

Ah yes, the fake scenarios that are needing to fix our entire defensive system, injury-prone and fragile players avoiding further down time and lack of depth overall, not to mention a new coaching staff.

Wild that we bring that up.

Reactions: HSF

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I never said he was, but he's a shit ton better defensively than Chychrun. Like not even close

The team gets better just on basis of Chychrun being redundant as a square peg in a round hole, and Jensen fitting the biggest need left to fill.

I doubt Jensen was their first choice, but getting him isn't the worst thing. I actually prefer Jensen over Roy, purely based on long-term cap flexibility vs how close it would bet to a lateral move for their roles.

The only downside of the whole Jensen thing is that he was the return for Chychrun. I think people expected Chychrun to be worth more than Jensen and a 3rd. When you really think about it, maybe we were overvaluing Chychrun - but there is an entire emotional aspect to it based on his standing as a star and how much the Senators gave up for him. Nobody gets excited about a 19 minute a night matchup defenseman, even if maybe they should.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Bruins add max jones

Korpi will have a good shot at the cup next year.
Good for him. I'll never miss someone who's scared shitless of the first shot of the game

The team gets better just on basis of Chychrun being redundant as a square peg in a round hole.

I doubt Jensen was their first choice, but getting him isn't the worst thing. I actually prefer Jensen over Roy, purely based on long-term cap flexibility vs how close it would bet to a lateral move for their roles.

The only downside of the whole Jensen thing is that he was the return for Chychrun. I think people expected Chychrun to be worth more than Jensen and a 3rd. When you really think about it, maybe we were overvaluing Chychrun - but there is an entire emotional aspect to it based on his standing as a star and how much the Senators gave up for him. Nobody gets excited about a 19 minute a night matchup defenseman, even if maybe they should.
Yes, well said.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
The team gets better just on basis of Chychrun being redundant as a square peg in a round hole, and Jensen fitting the biggest need left to fill.

Lol ok there.

Those of us not as high on Jensen can separate our opinion from who he was traded for, and we can appreciate strong defensive play. We're just not that high on bringing in an aging and slowing dman coming in from an off year with the Caps.

But sure we're just emotional, that's why we can't see just how amazing this acquisition is.

Dude, lol, you dont need to be prime Phillips to be a steadier defender than Chychrun was. Like, totally.

Another fun little scenario youve thought up

I was replying to someone saying we were like, a LOT better defensively with Jensen. I think that's an overstatement. No need to invent anything.

Keep being a little shit though!

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Lol ok there.

Those of us not as high on Jensen can separate our opinion from who he was traded for, and we can appreciate strong defensive play. We're just not that high on bringing in an aging and slowing dman coming in from an off year with the Caps.

But sure we're just emotional, that's why we can't see just how amazing this acquisition is.

No one said it was an amazing acquisition you psycho. We understand that the value isn’t there. It’s just not as world ending as you make it seem to be and our Dcore is better today than it was this morning.

It's quite astonishing that you're losing your shit over a defenseman who was -30, showed no interest in playing defense, has been traded twice in the last year by bottom-five teams, and didn't fit our team composition as a left defenseman with a year left before a regrettable contract is signed.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad