Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We arn't getting Trouba or Zadorov. We have to build our own. Gotta get that Solberg kid.
Trouba (from Michigan) pushed his way out of Winnipeg & will have a 15 team No Trade List this year.

You see some people throwing out rosters with 3 new, good defenders on it. We’d need to corner the market for this to happen and might as well say let's get McDavid & Draisaitl while we're at it.

Fantasy & dreams are fun though I suppose.

Reactions: vandelay and Loach

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
No Karlsson??

I do like Larsson though. Steady, size, some physicality. Would fit in well I think.

Would prefer to grab one of the RD in UFA, but if prices are too high a trade may be in order.
Let's not forget Anton Forsberg, another Swede. Brannstrom too but I expect he won't be here next year.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg reporter says Ottawa, SJ and Columbus are some of the teams interested in McGroarty.

Article is speculating, but discusses Chychrun and Chabot as possible trade pieces.

Edit: actually, I think it’s moreso Chabot, he was linking Chychrun to Ehlers. It’s interesting regardless because we don’t really have much to offer outside of that.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Winnipeg reporter says Ottawa, SJ and Columbus are some of the teams interested in McGroarty.

Article is speculating, but discusses Chychrun and Chabot as possible trade pieces.

Edit: actually, I think it’s moreso Chabot, he was linking Chychrun to Ehlers. It’s interesting regardless because we don’t really have much to offer outside of that.

Hard to come up with a deal that makes sense. They obviously won't trade McGroarty for one year of Chychrun, and the 7th OA is probably a little too high.

Maybe if they added a little something. McGroarty and Barron for 7th maybe?

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Hard to come up with a deal that makes sense. They obviously won't trade McGroarty for one year of Chychrun, and the 7th OA is probably a little too high.

Chabot makes more sense for them because of his term. Similar to the discussion about Chabot going to Utah, Winnipeg has a difficult time attracting players. 4 years of term provides them a lot of stability. Ottawa could possibly take back Nate Schmidt to help offset some of the short term cap. Nate Schmidt would be a cap dump, he is no longer an impact player.

If the Senators make the deal to move down to 12, that would be a more appropriate pick to trade for McGroarty, but even that seems high given the context of the situation. I don't think the Jets are going to recoup a similar level of pick that they used on him because they are dealing from a position of weakness.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Chabot makes more sense for them because of his term. Similar to the discussion about Chabot going to Utah, Winnipeg has a difficult time attracting players. 4 years of term provides them a lot of stability. Ottawa could possibly take back Nate Schmidt to help offset some of the short term cap. Nate Schmidt would be a cap dump, he is no longer an impact player.

If the Senators make the deal to move down to 12, that would be a more appropriate pick to trade for McGroarty, but even that seems high given the context of the situation. I don't think the Jets are going to recoup a similar level of pick that they used on him because they are dealing from a position of weakness.
It’s hard to imagine what the Sens will do if they move Chabot and Chychrun.

They’d for sure have to buyout Schmidt because we don’t have enough cap to pay him 6 million to play on our third pairing. But all that being said it’s hard enough finding a top 4 RD, in a world where Chabot gets traded I think a similar defenceman needs to be coming back.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F

Ehlers would be a fantastic pick up

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008

I'm willing to take Staios at his word and believe that he isn't discussing trades involving Chabot.

I agree it would make sense after a trade down, but Friedman recently made it sound like whatever was cooking between Ottawa and Philly is dead now. Sounds like Michkov coming over sooner than expected may have changed their plans.

The Rights to Lafferty aren't worth a ton, mikheyev is far too expensive for only a 2nd rounder. Would be nice to make a run at Lafferty though.
I would expect they'll get him signed, much like they did with Foligno and Perry last year.

Bottom-six options starting to dry up. Blueger re-upped in Vancouver too.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Do we even know if Rutger would sign with us? Is he one of those “I only want to play for the Rangers” guys?

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I'm willing to take Staios at his word and believe that he isn't discussing trades involving Chabot.

I agree it would make sense after a trade down, but Friedman recently made it sound like whatever was cooking between Ottawa and Philly is dead now. Sounds like Michkov coming over sooner than expected may have changed their plans.

I would expect they'll get him signed, much like they did with Foligno and Perry last year.

Bottom-six options starting to dry up. Blueger re-upped in Vancouver too.

I agree about Staios and Chabot, but if McGroarty was on the table and the Senators value him close to a top 10 pick, that changes the situation. That turns it into more of a give to get scenario, than shopping any one player.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Do we even know if Rutger would sign with us? Is he one of those “I only want to play for the Rangers” guys?
Don’t think that’s the issue here, he essentially just wants a guaranteed roster spot and Winnipeg wouldn’t give him one. Plus half our team is young Americans, he probably knows a bunch of guys.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The Rights to Lafferty aren't worth a ton, mikheyev is far too expensive for only a 2nd rounder. Would be nice to make a run at Lafferty though.

I think the logic with taking Mikheyev for only a 2nd is that he is still a player, just overpaid. I think the Walman trade follows a similar logic. These are players who can contribute on rebuilding teams. The rebuilding teams cannot attract free agents without overpaying anyways. For Mikheyev, it isn't a 2nd round pick to take 9.5M of dead cap - it's a 2nd round pick and maybe 4M of dead cap because Mikheyev might be a 2M-3M type player, not a 5M player.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Don’t think that’s the issue here, he essentially just wants a guaranteed roster spot and Winnipeg wouldn’t give him one. Plus half our team is young Americans, he probably knows a bunch of guys.
He wants that from Winnipeg because of their deployment of other prospects. I think he would be more flexible elsewhere. The fact that they wouldnt sign him to play a game just to burn a year off of his ELC probably annoyed him enough.

I think the logic with taking Mikheyev for only a 2nd is that he is still a player, just overpaid. I think the Walman trade follows a similar logic. These are players who can contribute on rebuilding teams. The rebuilding teams cannot attract free agents without overpaying anyways. For Mikheyev, it isn't a 2nd round pick to take 9.5M of dead cap - it's a 2nd round pick and maybe 4M of dead cap because Mikheyev might be a 2M-3M type player, not a 5M player.
Mikheyev can be a $4.5m player, especially in Chicago. He had a really tough ACL injury and really struggled to get back up to speed, but he wouldnt be the first guy to need some time. He was a very useful middle 6er in 21-22 & 22-23 (pre-injury). Vancouver cant afford to roll the dice… Chicago can. Wouldnt surprise me at all to see him flipped for a 3rd or more at the 25-26 deadline.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

7OA should be off limits in any conversations with Winnipeg, but something built around Chychrun for McGroarty would be intriguing. He'd help the team a lot sooner than a return of picks.

Maybe Winnipeg could sell Chychrun on finally playing for a playoff team...

Reactions: DrEasy

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
OTT:
Chabot
(Maybe add Joseph if they want a Crouse replacement)

UTA:
Crouse
JJ Moser
+ Pick or Prospect

Might be one of the few chances we have to move Chabot without retention to a team that views his contract as a positive. Clear up some cap space, get a heavy LW, and younger depth 2/3LD.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
OTT:
Chabot
(Maybe add Joseph if they want a Crouse replacement)

UTA:
Crouse
JJ Moser
+ Pick or Prospect

Might be one of the few chances we have to move Chabot without retention to a team that views his contract as a positive. Clear up some cap space, get a heavy LW, and younger depth 2/3LD.
Thats a ton of value coming our way.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
7OA should be off limits in any conversations with Winnipeg, but something built around Chychrun for McGroarty would be intriguing. He'd help the team a lot sooner than a return of picks.

Maybe Winnipeg could sell Chychrun on finally playing for a playoff team...
I think you'd need Pierre Dorion to be the GM in Winnipeg to get that sort of deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad