Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Good.

When he's on his game, Chabot is our best defenseman, and he looked good in most games under Martin's coaching.
The guy has spent most of his NHL career anchored by Zaitsev and Hamonic. We loved him when he played with Demelo a few years ago, and he looked good when playing with Zub the last couple years. Would hate to see him flourish elsewhere.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Hamonic RD only played 48 games last season & was clearly injured for a good portion of the season. He is a yr removed from a 21 pt season & plays the hard nosed game Staois seems to want. He's also in the last yr of a cheap $1.1 mil contract & should be able to mentor both Kleven & JBD who I expect he will share that 3rd pairing RD spot. They will also have a few RD in Belleville that can be called up when needed.

Adding Tanev RD to play with Sanderson frees up Zub to play with Chabot which should improve the top 4 dramatically.

Reactions: Good in Osgoode

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Unfortunately just 20 games of Hamonic is way too harmful to our season. He just needs to be off this team, period. He's arguably the worst player in the league (not exaggerating).
He'll be less harmful if the team around him is better. A part of the reason he looks as bad as he does is he's a poor defenseman on a team that's bad defensively.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I would imagine that Hamonic gets traded as part of the return for a depth d. For example, if the Sens acquire Luke Schenn then Hamonic would be part of the package going the other way to offset the cap. He may have a no movement clause but they can tell him that he simply won't play if he decides to veto a trade.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I would imagine that Hamonic gets traded as part of the return for a depth d. For example, if the Sens acquire Luke Schenn then Hamonic would be part of the package going the other way to offset the cap. He may have a no movement clause but they can tell him that he simply won't play if he decides to veto a trade.
That would be terrible PR. The second that happens every player in the NHL will know about it.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
"Insiders" having a very tough time with the new regime lately.
Agreed. There haven’t been any leaks and these guys are tight-lipped and play their cards close to the vest. The speculation was off the charts and incorrect on the Ullmark situation if anyone needed another example of this.

Reactions: Loach

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Generally throughout the season there’s injuries and even someone who’s a 7th D will get playing time. Imo a ~150k surplus against the cap is worth having an upgrade at that slot.
Generally your replacement level Dman doesn't have a full NMC so he'd be sent down if you had a better option, we aren't talking about generally though, we are talking about a unique situation where you have 1 year left of a guy with a full NMC on a deal so cheap buying him out and replacing him with a near league min contract actually costs more.

Buying him out has us spending more money for longer than simply playing a callup ahead of him every time there is an injury.

An upgrade on Hamonic isn't an upgrade on the ice, it's an upgrade to the press box. Wasted money.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Maybe I am being over dramatic. But I don’t think this team can be competitive with Chabot on the roster.

He plays 5 good games. Gets injured . Comes back. Plays like shit for 10 games . Finds his game plays good for 5 games gets injured….

You get like maybe 15-20 games a year where he looks like a top 4 D. His 8m could be way better used. I rather keep Chychrun.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Nothing is ever going to stop New York from being a desired destination for players. Ottawa circumventing an NMC by basically coercing a player to waive it could absolutely do damage to Ottawa when it comes to future signings.

I don't think it's circumventing at all. He's free to exercise his right to veto any movement.

It's a more than fair ultimatum given how much money this team has given him for subpar performance.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
That would be terrible PR. The second that happens every player in the NHL will know about it.
It wouldn't be terrible PR. Hamonic is a player at the tail end of his career. He is fortunate enough to have a decent salary and a no movement clause in his contract for next season as he wouldn't get anything like that on the open market. The senators are obligated to pay him his salary and respect his rights of his no movement clause. They are under no obligation whatsoever to play him in the lineup.

If Hamonic is on the Sens roster next season there is a very good chance that he will barely play anyway. If the Sens have a trade lined up they can offer him the chance to waive his NMC and maybe play with that other organization. If he doesn't want to waive it then he can go back to simply not playing. They aren't coercing him into waiving his NMC.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Maybe I am being over dramatic. But I don’t think this team can be competitive with Chabot on the roster.

He plays 5 good games. Gets injured . Comes back. Plays like shit for 10 games . Finds his game plays good for 5 games gets injured….

You get like maybe 15-20 games a year where he looks like a top 4 D. His 8m could be way better used. I rather keep Chychrun.

Sounds like the Josh Norris of defenceman.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Not seeing hammer waive his NMC, since he only wanted to play in Ottawa.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Chris Johnston saying that NY might be looking to get rid of a dman.

Speculates about Trouba because they have Fox and Schneider playing RD and his $8M cap hit is a luxury on the 3rd pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad