Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
The only way I see a Zegras deal making sense is if Anaheim has really soured on the player and they’re willing to take Norris’ deal in return and bet on his health.

We hope a change of scenery does Zegras good, but If not, it still opens up money for the next couple of years and we can get out of the contract much sooner than with Norris.

Reactions: Cosmix

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
But they will be on 7-8 year deals. I think you can get Tanev for 4-5 years and it takes no resources, free asset you just have to reunite him with his bro which should be easy

At the end of a 7 year deal for either Roy or Pesce, both will be younger than Tanev would be at the end of a 3 year deal.

Plus it will take resources to get Brandon. Not a lot of resources but it's not exactly a free wallet.

Reactions: Cosmix and Alex1234

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What we sign Ullmark for has nothing to do with what he will return

If we are willing to sign him for a deal that isn't wise like a long term 7+ million dollar contract, that's on us. He is going to return the same amount regardless of what he is signed for, barring salary retention adding value to teams.
Well that's absurd, every time a deal comes without the possibility of an extension, you here "rental price" thrown around. If an extension is expected or in place, a different and higher price for the return is expected.

Any team making a trade for him is going to factor in what a realistic extension will be, and take that into consideration in their offers. No team is short sighted enough to not factor that into what they are willing to give up.

Boston may not care about what contract he signs when figuring out what their willing to accept, but the other teams aren't going to ignore that when trying to outbid each other.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Well that's absurd, every time a deal comes without the possibility of an extension, you here "rental price" thrown around. If an extension is expected or in place, a different and higher price for the return is expected.

Any team making a trade for him is going to factor in what a realistic extension will be, and take that into consideration in their offers. No team is short sighted enough to not factor that into what they are willing to give up.

Boston may not care about what contract he signs when figuring out what their willing to accept, but the other teams aren't going to ignore that when trying to outbid each other.
Regardless of what he is signed for I mean the contract he’s given. Whether it’s 5 x 7 or 4 x 6, not signed vs unsigned. One is more valuable to the Sens, but it would have nothing to do with what we give up to Boston.

How good we can get his contract isn’t going to affect what we give up, unless it is done by other teams helping us out with retention.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
My biggest concern with Ullmark is how many games he can start in a season. Career high is 49. Apart from that, he has 2 seasons at 40 and 41. That's just...not enough games as a starter. If we give him the kind of term and money he wants, he needs to be closer to 55-60 GS. Can he sustain his play with that kind of workload?

If he only starts 50 games next year, who plays the other 32? That's a significant amount of the schedule and it's a huge question mark.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Regardless of what he is signed for I mean the contract he’s given. Whether it’s 5 x 7 or 4 x 6, not where the is signed or not.
Ok, but what I'm saying is his value with an extension has a realistic extension baked into it. Teams are fully aware of the general parameters of what it will take to extend him, and that impacts what they are willing to give up to get him.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
My biggest concern with Ullmark is how many games he can start in a season. Career high is 49. Apart from that, he has 2 seasons at 40 and 41. That's just...not enough games as a starter. If we give him the kind of term and money he wants, he needs to be closer to 55-60 GS. Can he sustain his play with that kind of workload?

If he only starts 50 games next year, who plays the other 32? That's a significant amount of the schedule and it's a huge question mark.

The league has changed. Only 3 goalies played 60 or more games last year: Saros (64), Georgiev (63) and Hellebyuck (60).

Even big money guys don’t play what they used to. Bob played 58, Sorokin 56, Shesterkin 55.

I think the goal would be to have Ullmark play 50-55. So we’ll need 30 from a backup.

It’s unlikely he hits 60.

Reactions: Crosside

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth

Korpse 20, Soogy 10

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Ok, but what I'm saying is his value with an extension has a realistic extension baked into it. Teams are fully aware of the general parameters of what it will take to extend him, and that impacts what they are willing to give up to get him.

The only thing is, it seems like we’re the last chair. The reports are that he won’t go West or to Toronto, and Yzerman said this weekend he’s not going to give up “premium assets” for a goalie.

So it could be like the Debrincat situation.

An extension is all well and good, but if you’re dead set on moving him, we’re your only option so the price will reflect that.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
That's the plan, it wasn't lost on Staios and Martin he has never had a partner, Martin said it himself publicly
Zub played with him and is now our 2D
But yeah since he is untradeable they need to find a stay at home stud to insulate him
Tanev seems perfect albeit a bit old

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Very small update.

Ottawa doesn’t know what total picks they have in this draft until tonight’s game.

Not to say that is significant in the Ullmark deal, but potentially one of the other dominos that needs to fall in regards to Philly or Seattle if those rumours are on point.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Zub played with him and is now our 2D
But yeah since he is untradeable they need to find a stay at home stud to insulate him
Tanev seems perfect albeit a bit old
Zub has played with him, and they were very good.

5v5 - 598 mins
54.1% GF
51.45% xGF
53.16% HDCF
with 47% OZ starts.

They need a 19 minute a night guy, doesn't need to be Tanev, just a guy who can play ~16:30 a night of ES and 2:30 a night PK who is reliable.

Sanderson gets 24ish mins a night
Chabot gets 22ish
Zub gets his 21ish
Chabots partner gets 19ish

Reactions: R2010

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

I’m not on board with paying 7M AAV to Ullmark.

How awesome a pivot would it be to send 7 to Philly along with Korpisalo for Cal Petterson +12 + 31/32

then send Chychrun + 25 + 31/32 to Nashville for Saros extended at 8 x 7 or 7 x 8.

Out 7OA + 25OA + Chychrun + Korpisalo (dump)

In 12 OA + 1 year of Petersson buried at 3.8M + Saros extended.

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Exactly what we do not need.

We need speed, PK ability, defensive awareness in the bottom 6, and more consistent effort.

Tanev brings that.

You might say Joseph brings that as well, but I don’t think he impressed Staios, Martin and co. with his approach last year. Much like Kastelic. That’s why they want to move on.

What has Joseph done to be on the blocks?

Staios wants a bottom 6 filled with guys who will grind every day and every game. Not guys who are happy to live the NHL lifestyle and are content doing fly-bys on the forecheck.

That’s why they’re looking to move on from Joseph and Kastelic.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010

Valid concern. Similar level of unknown as Korpisalo (career high 39gp) and Murray before him (career high 50gp).

But I wonder if 55-60 is required. The league has trended away from workhorses and towards tandems.

Ullmark at 50ish games and Korpisalo at 30ish games as a tandem could work very well in theory - the problem being the bottom heavy allocation of cap to goaltending. Korpisalo is at 4m, and Ullmark would come at the 6-8m range, so we could see a 10-12m annual cap spend on goaltending here if brass pulls the trigger on Ullmark and retains Korpisalo.

That said, the Panthers have made the finals in back to back years with a 14.5m goaltending spend, which they are presumably running back next year as well. Yes, they capitalize on their tax free jurisdiction to improve slotting elsewhere, but 14.5m is substantial.

So it wouldn't be unprecedented to see those two as a tandem if Ullmark does indeed come to Ottawa.

Reactions: DrEasy

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada

Bruins fan here,
The reason why LU played 40 games is because we have an even better goalie in JS.
The 50/50 rotation we used worked well for the regular season, keeping each goalie fresh.
If we do make a trade with the Sens, you guys are getting a legit #1 goalie, in the top 8 in the league.
He won the Vezina trophy two years ago, has a .918 career svpct and let's not forget he played 5 years for the Sabres who were horrible defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad