Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
When Chicago didn’t allow Dorion to talk to Debrincat & his camp about an extension, the red flag should have appeared right away and Dorion should have walked away. He shouldn’t have put the organization in a position that they needed to find out mid season as you suggest that Debrincat wasn’t signing. There’s always the option of walking away when it makes sense to do that and the potential for a one year rental was too high for a team that was still rebuilding.

Fans definitely have expectations about player contracts. Just look at how much we talk about this in here. And, fans pay for tickets & the product on the ice. It’s bizarre (an understated and polite way of saying this) to suggest otherwise. Not going to get into a back & forth on this.

Or Dorion should simply have said: "we talk to Debrincat or the price drops. He's a rental for us at that point and we'll pay accordingly."

If the Hawks accept great and we would have given up a package that was similar to the one we got from Detroit. They say no and we walk away. It was botched from the beginning.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Or Dorion should simply have said: "we talk to Debrincat or the price drops. He's a rental for us at that point and we'll pay accordingly."

If the Hawks accept great and we would have given up a package that was similar to the one we got from Detroit. They say no and we walk away. It was botched from the beginning.
He was still an RFA this past year, so Ottawa got him with 2 years of team control and sold him with 1 year of team control. The way you're laying out the argument would have never come to fruition because the extra year of team control has value.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
He was still an RFA this past year, so Ottawa got him with 2 years of team control and sold him with 1 year of team control. The way you're laying out the argument would have never come to fruition because the extra year of team control has value.

But we were in no position to give up a prime package for a guy who would leave in two years. We were not a contender. So two years is not much, if any, better than one. It should have been, talk to the player or we reduce our offer. But whatever it's done. Having used that 7th OA on a good young player would seem pretty nice right about now though.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Value is not a fixed measure. Every team knew his contract situation and how easily he could walk to FA.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

I mean you’re talking about the guy who UPPED vancouvers asking price for Hamonic. He doesn’t exactly drive a hard deal.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Value is not a fixed measure. Every team knew his contract situation and how easily he could walk to FA.
Control is a funny word in this case. Sure, they could have paid $9 m and then let him walk the 2nd year for a peanuts return at the deadline. But, given the tight cap situation, that would have created additional problems (like roster subtractions) as well. What the Senators had was control of a crap situation. But, I guess some will feel good just to be able to use that word “control” I guess.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
7th overall + for 25th overall Kubalik and sebrango is astonishing not sure another GM could pull it off
Being it worked out that way... Its not what happened. The 2022 move should not have happened. And the 2023 move proves the point

I take it you think if he hung on to him and moved him at the TDL he'd get more

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
You just wait, Sebrango is the next Giordano, late bloomer gonna upend that trade and show case our fearless leader's vision...
:sarcasm:
I know this was a sarcastic reply, but Sebrango did seem to come on nicely towards the end of the season and into the playoffs after what was a really underwhelming regular season for him. Debrango and Kleven were playing key minutes for the B-Sens in the playoffs. Has another year left on his current deal. Will be interesting if he can continue the momentum into next season and maybe push his way further up the depth chart.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Being it worked out that way... Its not what happened. The 2022 move should not have happened. And the 2023 move proves the point

I take it you think if he hung on to him and moved him at the TDL he'd get more
It is what we have ended up with in exchange for the 7th overall pick. And it’s not like it’s a very long trade tree. In ~365 days he turned 7th overall into that

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I haven’t really gone back and looked but what else was available for similar or less package
Dach would have been a better fit , if it only cost the 7OA which would be more than fair it would have been less to acquire and he signed under 3.7 for 4 years rfa on expiry

Dorion makes me puke what he did to this team right through the rebuild and in the couple- three months before

Duchene
Debrincat
Chychrun
Murray
Talbot
Korpisalo
Dadonov

and the more minor moves like Stepan , Del Zotto, Coburn, Haley, Pacquett, Keeping Zaitsev over Demelo,

He cost this team so much,. He should never work in the NHL again.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I wonder how Travis Green being our coach might affect the possibility of a Jacob Markstrom trade.

He played a few seasons for Green. He was good but Vancouver failed to have any real success. Maybe Markstrom liked playing for Green, or Green liked Markstrom as a goalie?

Markstrom would be a good bridge option to Sogaard or someone else, pending the trade cost.

I think this is where the idea falls apart.

I couldn't find where I saw it but when the deal to NJ was supposedly happening the rumoured price for Markstrom was mindboggling.

The Sens shouldn't give up significant assets (a 1st or more) for a stop-gap, which is what Markstrom probably is at this stage as a 34 year old goalie with middling stats the past couple seasons.

I can see the logic in trading significant assets for a 30 year old top tier goalie like Ullmark, but not Markstrom.

If the price has come down and it's something like a 2nd + a secondary asset, that's a different story.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Dach would have been a better fit , if it only cost the 7OA which would be more than fair it would have been less to acquire and he signed under 3.7 for 4 years rfa on expiry

Dorion makes me puke what he did to this team right through the rebuild and in the couple- three months before

Duchene
Debrincat
Chychrun
Murray
Talbot
Korpisalo
Dadonov

and the more minor moves like Stepan , Del Zotto, Coburn, Haley, Pacquett, Keeping Zaitsev over Demelo,

He cost this team so much,. He should never work in the NHL again.
That 2020 summer was the most ghastly thing a GM has ever done lol.

Korpisalo being his last move is the most perfect shitty cherry on top of the shotty sundae

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I actually don’t remember cuz I think Covid messed up the years. The summer of Murray Adonis gusbrannson Stepan and brown brought in to “take the next step”. Doesn’t even feel real
The never ending list there was Oduya in there as well . Gaborik, Didominico, Paajarvi, Dumont, Burrows, Nate Thomson these guys complimented Duchene in the take another run year with no Methot and a broken Karlsson

And back then we weren't allowed to talk shit about Dorion... cuz ... ? still trying to figure that one out. Now its just a widely accepted known that he was completely incompetent

Reactions: Cosmix

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The never ending list there was Oduya in there as well . Gaborik, Didominico, Paajarvi, Dumont, Burrows, Nate Thomson these guys complimented Duchene in the take another run year with no Methot and a broken Karlsson

And back then we weren't allowed to talk shit about Dorion... cuz ... ? still trying to figure that one out. Now its just a widely accepted known that he was completely incompetent
Well paaajarvi dumont and Thompson were bottom of the lineup guys. That we didn’t give up much to obtain.

First bad sign was his very first trade lol. Shocking.

After that well we played okay so I don’t blame him for filling out the bottom of the roster for not much.

But after that yea. It was all so bad. First year of the rebuild he needed players. So he didn’t give up much and got shite players. But then as soon as you could see he was making moves to actually get better and he was going all in on Derek Stepan….

Reactions: Bileur

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

For years it was framed like it was always going to pay off and those that criticized it just didn't get it. It's hard to believe how strong the push back when you look back now and see how badly PD's tenure worked out and that the decisions he/they made along the way telegraphed them to where things are now.

Nice to see we aren't living in fairy tale land here anymore where Melnyk is framed as just a hard done by doing the best he can with evil spoiled fans, and Dorion is a genius with a long game we just don't get. Those guys tripped over their own feet and fell face first in the mud. The criticism was valid.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad