Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I don't actually want him back because I don't think it is right for him. There is too much negativity and baggage in this market place. Part of loving someone is knowing when it's time to let them go, because it's not meant to be.

It's like that scene in the Dark Knight where Alfred sees Batman eating in France.
Ahh ok, then your posts are a bit confusing.
Ie.
I really want Ceci,

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Relapsing

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Tbh I'd do that IF Ullmark came with an extension.

The fact is we NEED to make the playoffs next year to keep Brady and the rest of the core happy and not asking for trades out of Ottawa.

That's a Dorion-tier trade.

If that is from Garrioch, it is leaked on our end to get condition fans to not be upset if we don't get Ullmark.

I would understand if they don't want Chychrun for Ullmark, but there is no way Chychrun+1st makes sense.

The only goalie trade I can think of remotely close to that value would be Corey Schneider for the 9th overall pick.

If it is Chychrun+1st for Ullmark, and another player, then maybe.

Ahh ok, then your posts are confusing.
Ie.
I really want Ceci,

I want him back on our team, but I know it's not right for him.

I'll have to settle for watching Zub on the shutdown pair and pretending that Sanderson is Phaneuf, but Sanderson is way too mobile, so it ruins it.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dorion trying to save his job ever since Melnyk croaked was so detrimental to the future of team.

I’m still in awe we have essentially nothing to show for 10th, 7th and 12th overall picks as a rebuilding team in its 7th year in a row out of the playoffs. That’s inexcusable.
😭 Very Sad. Right back at mumbling under your breath....i'm a sens fan

Reactions: Cosmix

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Am I the only one who feels like bringing this team to the playoffs next season will be an impossible task?

For one the makeup of this roster is just not there. Norris is a question mark. defense needs a retool. Tarasenko needs to be replaced. Giroux might slow down. Batherson is inconsistent. Goalies are a question mark. Bottom 6 needs a retool.

If Staios goes and makes big changes it will change the dynamic but will likely take some time to adapt to new players and new systems. I would not be surprised one bit if it was another poor start and that would be disastrous on the morale of this very fragile core.

Any upgrade that Staois makes in one area will be a downgrade in another area, that's almost a guarantee since we don't have much in the pipeline and won't trade our valuable picks. If we go the UFA route, we need to overpay and many players with better options wont even consider Ottawa.

I wouldn't want to be in Steve's shoes right now. Opposing teams see Ottawa coming from a mile away, there's pressure to turn this sinking ship asap with no pick in 2026 and Tkachuk with 4 years left on his deal. There's no option to retool or take a step back to make a leap forward right now. I have very little hope that this will turn out positively.

It's going to take a good amount of skill and more than a little luck on Staios' part.

If he's willing to make some hard decisions in regards to cutting bait on a number of players, then maybe there's hope to be had.

The goaltending to me is the most dire situation. If he can somehow tackle that, then I think just having enough cap room to fill in lower line depth with go farther than people realize. We literally couldn't even bring up appropriate players from our own farm team because of the cap situation. Bonkers stuff.

In fairness to Dorion, we were all a little surprised when the the Leafs just blatantly cheated with Matt Murray's salary to get him off the books. Although it was his fault when he signed Tarasenko after the fact.

Lesson learned.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
That's a Dorion-tier trade.

If that is from Garrioch, it is leaked on our end to get condition fans to not be upset if we don't get Ullmark.

I would understand if they don't want Chychrun for Ullmark, but there is no way Chychrun+1st makes sense.

The only goalie trade I can think of remotely close to that value would be Corey Schneider for the 9th overall pick.

If it is Chychrun+1st for Ullmark, and another player, then maybe.

I want him back on our team, but I know it's not right for him.

I'll have to settle for watching Zub on the shutdown pair and pretending that Sanderson is Phaneuf, but Sanderson is way too mobile, so it ruins it.
I think you’ve confused some of the parts,
I interpreted it as Chychurn plus Boston’s first plus Korpisalo for Ullmark.
But maybe I misunderstood what poster was saying.

Reactions: Duncstar

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

Oh, if they are taking Korpisalo than that is a great deal.

My bad if I misunderstood.

Chychrun = Ullmark, late 1st = dumping Korpisalo.

That is more than fair value wise. It just comes down to whether they would want to do it.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It's going to take a good amount of skill and more than a little luck on Staios' part.

If he's willing to make some hard decisions in regards to cutting bait on a number of players, then maybe there's hope to be had.

The goaltending to me is the most dire situation. If he can somehow tackle that, then I think just having enough cap room to fill in lower line depth with go farther than people realize. We literally couldn't even bring up appropriate players from our own farm team because of the cap situation. Bonkers stuff.

In fairness to Dorion, we were all a little surprised when the the Leafs just blatantly cheated with Matt Murray's salary to get him off the books. Although it was his fault when he signed Tarasenko after the fact.

Lesson learned.
This is the biggest issue imo. Vancouver has been held up as an example of an org in chaos with a quick turnaround under a new GM and Coach as a possible comparable, but they have one of the best goalies out there and even their backup is better than either Forsberg or Korpisalo.

Reactions: Senscore

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Am I the only one who feels like bringing this team to the playoffs next season will be an impossible task?

For one the makeup of this roster is just not there. Norris is a question mark. defense needs a retool. Tarasenko needs to be replaced. Giroux might slow down. Batherson is inconsistent. Goalies are a question mark. Bottom 6 needs a retool.

If Staios goes and makes big changes it will change the dynamic but will likely take some time to adapt to new players and new systems. I would not be surprised one bit if it was another poor start and that would be disastrous on the morale of this very fragile core.

Any upgrade that Staois makes in one area will be a downgrade in another area, that's almost a guarantee since we don't have much in the pipeline and won't trade our valuable picks. If we go the UFA route, we need to overpay and many players with better options wont even consider Ottawa.

I wouldn't want to be in Steve's shoes right now. Opposing teams see Ottawa coming from a mile away, there's pressure to turn this sinking ship asap with no pick in 2026 and Tkachuk with 4 years left on his deal. There's no option to retool or take a step back to make a leap forward right now. I have very little hope that this will turn out positively.
we'd be pretenders if we got there. Take another step forward is what I am hoping for. More level, More consistent. More Grown up.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Could be but I don’t think so. The two paragraphs are separated and I think theyre different thoughts but who knows:

There is talk the Senators offered Korpisalo to the Bruins as part of a package for Ullmark at the deadline and Sweeney politely declined. Boston can’t afford to take on the $16 million in salary and the four years remaining on Korpisalo’s contract.

A league executive said Thursday he believes the Senators would likely have to offer defenceman Jakob Chychrun along with a first-round pick and another selection to acquire Ullmark. Even then, he has the hammer because he does have the modified no-trade clause.

I would think it would be indicated that to take Korpisalo the Bruins would ask for those pieces if that’s what was implied. But it’s also Garrioch so who knows.

Garrioch: Senators will likely take another run at Boston's Linus Ullmark in the off-season

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I'm fine with moving Chychrun and the Boston 1st for Ullmark if they take Forsberg back as well, and Ottawa goes out and signs a top 4 RD.

Oh, and Ullmark would have to sign an extension as part of the trade.

Reactions: NB613 and gab6511

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I think people underestimate how much parity there is in this league, so I rarely see playoffs as "impossible"

You mention needing to replace Tarasenko, we 25-31-3 with him and 12-9-1 after trading him. I'm not saying he wasn't a good player for us, but we clearly managed without him.

You mention Norris as a question mark, and while I agree that there is some question wrt his shoulder, what we do know is it wasn't right all season anyways, and our record after shutting him down for the season didn't really suffer

Goalies are certainly a question mark, though I'm skeptical that they could be worse (particularly if Staios addresses the position).

Batherson being hot an cold, sure? But it's not like he's the difference between good or not.

Giroux could slow down, but Stu could (and likely should) be better given he played the season with a wrist issue from game 4 that clearly impacted his shot. two seasons ago he was a 90 pts player, and he;s still developing.

I think having Pinto from game 1 will be huge. We paced at 90 pts from the day he returned. That's with Tank traded halfway through and Norris shut down for the final 25,

I think a good defensive minded RHD in Chychrun's place is a good starting point, if we can get a top goalie like Ulmark that would be great, if not, a middle six forward and top four RHD should make a massive improvement.

Just an example:

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
Greig-Pinto-Batherson
C.Smith-Norris-Joseph
Kelly-Kastelic-Ostapchuk

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Tanev
Kleven-JBD

Markstrom
Korpisalo

Extra: Hamonic, MacEwen

That's a cap compliant roster using UFA projected contracts from AFP Analytics. Pinto at 5.25, Smith at 1.1, Tanev at 4.5, Kelly at 1.25. Forsberg and Chychrun traded out to get Markstrom.

Alternatively, instead of trading for Markstrom, we could go after a UFA goalie like Stolarz, Samsonov or Ritich for somewhere around 2.5 mil, and with the extra 3.5 upgrade Smith to D.Joshua (3.25), and Tanev to Roy (5.8). Alternatively, keep Tanev and upgrade JBD to Hakanpaa (1.5)

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
Greig-Pinto-Batherson
D.Joshua-Norris-Joseph
Kelly-Kastelic-Ostapchuk

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Tanev
Kleven-Hakanpaa

Stolarz/Samsonov?
Korpisalo

Extra: Hamonic, MacEwen

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Can’t imagine trading 3+ picks worth of value for Ullmark, and that’s without even knowing if he will sign a contract with us. Absolutely bonkers.

That’s Dorion level stuff, and you just know it would inevitably blow up in the Sens faces and they’d have another 5 year anchor :laugh:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Can’t imagine trading 3+ picks worth of value for Ullmark, and that’s without even knowing if he will sign a contract with us. Absolutely bonkers.

That’s Dorion level stuff, and you just know it would inevitably blow up in the Sens faces and they’d have another 5 year anchor :laugh:
Presumably we'd be making that trade with an extension? Ulmark would likely have to waive to come here, so we'd be making a move for a guy willing to come.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Presumably we'd be making that trade with an extension? Ulmark would likely have to waive to come here, so we'd be making a move for a guy willing to come.
It says specifically that we’d have to give that up, and even after Ullmark could still squash that with his no trade list.

It’s a Bruce article, trying to make sense of it is difficult at the best of times.

Even then, that would be more than any goalie he been traded for since…not too sure. 2 late firsts + another pick for a 31 year old. 26 year old Schneider for 9th? 22 year old Varlamov for a 1st and 2nd?

There’s no way the Sens would do that, it’s just a way to let fans know why Ullmark won’t be a Sen, and it seems incredibly hilarious that a league “executive” is giving that kind of specific package to Brucie.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

It does feel risky given the assets the org has burned. I would argue that at least Ullmark has a solid career and quality resume.

Dorion level would be doing that for a guy like Korpisalo that has no business getting the contract.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It says specifically that we’d have to give that up, and even after Ullmark could still squash that with his no trade list.

It’s a Bruce article, trying to make sense of it is difficult at the best of times.

Even then, that would be more than any goalie he been traded for since…not too sure. 2 late firsts + another pick for a 31 year old. 26 year old Schneider for 9th? 22 year old Varlamov for a 1st and 2nd?

There’s no way the Sens would do that, it’s just a way to let fans know why Ullmark won’t be a Sen.
I mean, I still think I'd rather do that than sign Korpisalo to a 5 year deal...

Anyways, Garrioch seems to really be reaching these days, I'd love to add Ulmark, but that price is obviously on the excessive side. I thought the rumour from LA was Dubois for Ulmark, I think that's the price since it apparently fell through when Ulmark wouldn't waive.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Could be but I don’t think so. The two paragraphs are separated and I think theyre different thoughts but who knows:

There is talk the Senators offered Korpisalo to the Bruins as part of a package for Ullmark at the deadline and Sweeney politely declined. Boston can’t afford to take on the $16 million in salary and the four years remaining on Korpisalo’s contract.

A league executive said Thursday he believes the Senators would likely have to offer defenceman Jakob Chychrun along with a first-round pick and another selection to acquire Ullmark. Even then, he has the hammer because he does have the modified no-trade clause.

I would think it would be indicated that to take Korpisalo the Bruins would ask for those pieces if that’s what was implied. But it’s also Garrioch so who knows.

Garrioch: Senators will likely take another run at Boston's Linus Ullmark in the off-season

I've seen clearer messages written in symbols on the wall of ancient burial sites than the messages written using English in your average Garrioch article.

• Love
Reactions: Cosmix

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
To Boston: Chychrun LD, Korpisalo G & Joseph LW/RW ($11.6 mil out)
To Ottawa: Ullmark G & DeBrusk LW (signed $6.6 mil X 6 yrs) - ($11.6 mil in)

Out: Kubalik LW, Katchouk LW, Brannstrom LD, Joseph LW, Korpisalo G & Chychrun LD
In: Ostapchuk LW, DeBrusk LW, Kleven LD & Ullmark G

Tkachuk $8.2 - Stutzle $8.3 - Giroux $6.5 = $23 ... Tkachuk left draws/Giroux right draws
DeBrusk $6.6 - Norris $8 - Batherson $5 = $19.6 ... Norris L/R draws
Ostapchuk $1 - Greig $1 - Pinto ($6 mil X 6 yrs) = $8 ... Ostapchuk left draws/Pinto right draws
Kelly $1 - Kastelic $1 - MacEwan $1 = $3 = $53.6 ... Kelly left draws/Kastelic right draws

Chabot $8 - Zub $4.6 = $12.6
Sanderson $8 - JBD $1 = $9
Kleven $1 - Hamonic $1 = $2 = $23.6 mil

Ullmark -$5 Forsberg $2.735 = $7.735 mil

Forwards $53.6 + Defence $23.6 + Goalies $7.735 + Dead Cap $.625 = $85.56 mil approx. (actually less than this)

- There should be enough left over as they approach the trade deadline to add a top 4 RD at a time where their salary might be affordable for the remainder of the season. We should be able to get 40 to 50 games out of Hamonic before the trade deadline & they should have a couple of RD in Belleville who could also get a few games in to help out here & there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Icelevel

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
1. Pretty sure that was a tongue in cheek post.

2. Got to distinguish between the player and the contract. There was likely many that liked the player. There were a few that didn’t like the term of the contract even at the time of the trade e.g., one definite year, and one maybe year that didn’t work out (perhaps predictably).

See 1. above.
Again the term on the contract is not a fans worry or job. There’s an implied trust in management that they’ve made that trade for a reason. And they can resign the 25 year old star. Of course Dorion is the worst GM of the last several decades. So. Yea. But as a fan. No reason to not be stoked about debrincat and giroux being brought in at that time

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Again the term on the contract is not a fans worry or job. There’s an implied trust in management that they’ve made that trade for a reason. And they can resign the 25 year old star. Of course Dorion is the worst GM of the last several decades. So. Yea. But as a fan. No reason to not be stoked about debrincat and giroux being brought in at that time

Why not? What are we doing here if not worrying about things that it's not our job to worry about?

We're a long way away from blind trust in management. If one Dorion got in the GM's chair, who's to say another couldn't?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad