Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

vandelay

Nov 3, 2022
Funny how popular opinion just days ago was "let's trade 2 top 3 defencemen and go get two we really like"...now with july 2 still not here we're talking about paying 9 mill for a not vedy good ekblad. For me, chabot at 8 is quite a bit better than eckblad at 8.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I dont think Ekblads value is that high and I dont think his next contract will carry too high of an AAV. It will probably be 2-4 years too long, but I think you cross that bridge when you get there.

He’d be an excellent addition

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I dont think Ekblads value is that high and I dont think his next contract will carry too high of an AAV. It will probably be 2-4 years too long, but I think you cross that bridge when you get there.

He’d be an excellent addition

I don't see any reason to believe his next contract will be that short or at a low AAV. With the way he's trending, this will be his last chance to sign a big, long term contract. And with his pedigree and the RHD market being what it is, he'll be in a position to demand big money and long term.

Oct 10, 2010
I would love Desharnais on 3rd pairing

Big tough can move anyone out from the net fights can PK seems like a low key perfect fit for what we are looking for ?

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I don't see any reason to believe his next contract will be that short or at a low AAV. With the way he's trending, this will be his last chance to sign a big, long term contract. And with his pedigree and the RHD market being what it is, he'll be in a position to demand big money and long term.
I think the term will be long term, as I said, but he will get less money per year than this current contract.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Ekblad isn't a top pairing guy anymore, but I'd love him in a Sens uniform. Dude is still a great PK guy and has good defensive IQ. Issue would be his next contract. Just can't imagine a trade with Ottawa-Florida where it makes sense, especially with Ekblad having a high cap hit that the Panthers would need to send a pick or two with to offset.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'd want Ullmark locked in before we go there with Ekblad or another expiring contract for a prime time player. Don't want 2 contract grey clouds looming over the team that if both walked, would basically crater the teams future.
We'd just be in the same situation next summer - looking for a goalie as usual. Annoying as balls, but I'm not confident it would crater out future with the 7th OV coming up (probably], plus subsequent picks etc. I wouldn't do an expiring on right D if I could avoid it though - and if you do, don't pay much as we've already shot our shot on an expiring contract.

Again though...Korpisalo would have cost to unload and that's out of the way, so...as of the right meow, we should be able to navigate the waterways without any crazy shit happening.

Oct 10, 2010
Kinda sucks about Tanev thought he was a perfect fit here.

We’ll probably end up with Carrier - Roy probably signing with Toronto ( if they miss on Tanev) or Detroit.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It's a speculation thread.

People speculate about the value of or circumstances surrounding trading players who aren't exactly available all the time.

Saying Utah would ask for Chabot not Chychrun because he has term shouldn't merit a "gotcha" reply.

So you're telling me it's going to be Ekblad for Weber?
Well last week you said once, it was a joke post on something, then another one said it was meant as sarcasm, now speculation.
It’s hard to tell with your posts.

Reactions: Relapsing

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Someone will go nuts for Ekblad and trade for him with a big buyout proof contract.

It would be in his best interests to sign somewhere and get paid given his injury history and that coming off of a cup win this is maybe the peak of his value.

He might be a good pickup for a contender as a rental. I would be worried about extending him but I would be fine with giving up some assets for him if I was a team like Toronto.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
We'd just be in the same situation next summer - looking for a goalie as usual. Annoying as balls, but I'm not confident it would crater out future with the 7th OV coming up (probably], plus subsequent picks etc. I wouldn't do an expiring on right D if I could avoid it though - and if you do, don't pay much as we've already shot our shot on an expiring contract.

Again though...Korpisalo would have cost to unload and that's out of the way, so...as of the right meow, we should be able to navigate the waterways without any crazy shit happening.
I agree solely in the context of Ullmark. They would have all that cap space back and Korpisalo gone, so they could pivot. I meant in the scenario we also brought in Ekblad but couldn't sign either. I don't really want another 1 year contracted big time player brought in as it would bring a lot of uncertainty to have 2 core players expiring next summer.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Well last week you said once, it was a joke post on something, then another one said it was meant as sarcasm, now speculation.
It’s hard to tell with your posts.

I think it's implied in this thread that we are all speculating, unless you're actually Steve Staios or another plugged in person, like Spartacat.

I forget exactly what I said in the post you are referring to, but if I recall it was so incredibly over the top and tongue in cheek. With that said, I do agree that if I sometimes make jokes that aren't clear it can make it difficult to now when I'm kidding or not kidding, but that instance I think it just went way over your head because you were excited to find another message board gotcha moment.

I love being wrong on here because then I learn new things. You have corrected me on things in the last where you've been cool and helped me learn something that I didn't know, and I always appreciate when posters do that. But when you quote my posts that doesn't always seem to be the case. It seems like half the time it's an attempt at a message board gotcha moment.

I think we can all get along and be cool with each other, even if we disagree, or we don't all want Cody Ceci back on the roster.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
On the new 32 Thoughts:

“Sounds like Tanev will come down to Dallas vs. Toronto with an outside shot of Vancouver”

No mention of Ottawa being a consideration.

That's rough. He would have been such a good fit here.

I'm surprised that Dallas is able to make it work cap wise. It will be interesting to see if he takes a discount in Dallas if that's where he goes.

I think we will have to go the trade route. I would be surprised if we attracted a Roy or Pesce.

My dream acquisition would be Weegar, but I doubt he is even available.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
not surprising with Tanev and Toronto. His dad still works in Toronto so he would be going home

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I think Carrier would be good, the bigger issue might be if he doesn’t sign with us either.

Trade options are Marino, Ekblad and Trouba, but NTCs make that challenging too.

Carrier kinda does feel like the last branch before falling off a tree, the drop off after him is significant. I've mentioned liking possibilities like Hakanpa, Lyubushkin, Desharnais but they aren't what I would want for a top-four role.

I do like the Marino option if the Devils end up being active in free agency and they need to shed money. He's just a run of the mill safe, minute munching defenceman who could slide in next to Chabot, or Sanderson honestly to round out the top-four. Assuming Chabot can stay close to healthy (massive if, I know) the team doesn't need a superstar to round out the top-four. $4.4M x 3 also looks a lot better on the sheets than whatever Tanev/Roy/Pesce are gonna get quite honestly.

Reactions: PlayOn

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Sounds good to me, let those teams lock in to an old and injury prone dman.

I like what he brings, but there's considerable risk with that player.

This is a fair point, but I think the risk was worth the reward when you consider what an equivalent D with term might cost us in a trade, and the low likelihood of us getting one of the other top RHDs in free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $15,750.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $14,488.00