GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
As it stands we have a really abysmal roster and any of the players that are any good are ancient. Yep top 10 or higher pick in '25 incoming!

Reactions: Headshot77

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
I think it speaks to Carter's time here that the most vivid memory I have of him is getting absolutely burned for two goals back to back when Sullivan subbed him in for Crosby for some god-forsaken reason in the NYR series.
I remember two years ago he was awful all year, scored two goals in a game against the Avalanche, talked to the media after the game for the first time and basically did a victory lap and told everyone to eat shit essentially. Thought he was a complete loser for that.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
The same Dan Bylsma who played Craig Adams over anybody else?

Zn0Cj5X.jpeg

Idk why this still exists on my computer but my photoshop skills from 2013 were on point.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I think it’s more I hate how the Penguins media worship Carter as if he was some legendary member of this franchise.

I like Carter, but he did more with two other franchises.
I don't think it's that deep mate. He's a genuinely nice bloke that is nice to the media, was great with team mates and even went as far as helping other players out when he was out of the line up, helping players that were struggling with their game to lend them support. He's someone I was hoping would stay and I would love for him to take on some role of player development.

You lot seem quite content when they're gargling the nuts of Crosby, but my goodness, god forbid a retired player that has been nothing but good in his interactions, gets any sort of love months after he's retired and chose to make Pittsburgh his home for the long term.

Zn0Cj5X.jpeg

Idk why this still exists on my computer but my photoshop skills from 2013 were on point.
This will be updated with Sullivan and Quinn on his shoulder.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
He's been quite open about the issues he had as a young coach with barely any experience, thrown into the big dance and winning so early, that he was stubborn and taking a step into eing an Assistant Manager and the path through the AHL again was something he needed for his development as a coach and to shake the stigma as well as the stubborn coaching ideals he had.

It's probably one of the more refreshing discussions from a coach that fell off after coming out of the gate fast. I think a lot forget, he didn't have that deep of a resume as a coach. He was an Assistant coach in the Ducks system for a year, then the Isles, then he was an Assistant in WBS for 2yrs before 54 total games in WBS as a Head Coach when they fired Therrien and by then he was just a 38yr old that was retired from playing 5yrs prior.

I've seen a decent amount of other AHL games the past season and Coachella played very well and I looked for his usual moves as a head coach and I didn't see it, he was trying different things and it was nice to see. We can all dislike the last few years of Bylsma, that's totally fine and acceptable, but his path back to being a head coach and learning I think it's to be commended. He's 54yrs old now and seems like he's got the right mindset this time around. I hope he succeeds in Seattle, I know I will be watching far more games of the Kraken this season.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
I think you can definitely be competitive if the NFL and MLB without tanking. The NFL if you get a QB you’re set. Sometimes that’s a high pick and sometimes it’s not. The MLB you just buy championships it doesn’t matter.
We need a salary cap for the Buccos...

Reactions: eXile3

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He's been quite open about the issues he had as a young coach with barely any experience, thrown into the big dance and winning so early, that he was stubborn and taking a step into eing an Assistant Manager and the path through the AHL again was something he needed for his development as a coach and to shake the stigma as well as the stubborn coaching ideals he had.

It's probably one of the more refreshing discussions from a coach that fell off after coming out of the gate fast. I think a lot forget, he didn't have that deep of a resume as a coach. He was an Assistant coach in the Ducks system for a year, then the Isles, then he was an Assistant in WBS for 2yrs before 54 total games in WBS as a Head Coach when they fired Therrien and by then he was just a 38yr old that was retired from playing 5yrs prior.

I've seen a decent amount of other AHL games the past season and Coachella played very well and I looked for his usual moves as a head coach and I didn't see it, he was trying different things and it was nice to see. We can all dislike the last few years of Bylsma, that's totally fine and acceptable, but his path back to being a head coach and learning I think it's to be commended. He's 54yrs old now and seems like he's got the right mindset this time around. I hope he succeeds in Seattle, I know I will be watching far more games of the Kraken this season.

My son is involved with the Lil Firebirds. Dan did a great job with that team. Happy for him.

I agree that it’s nice to see him take accountability, get a female voice on the bench and just seem to have chilled out.

Curious if Sullivan can ever do the same.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
My son is involved with the Lil Firebirds. Dan did a great job with that team. Happy for him.

I agree that it’s nice to see him take accountability, get a female voice on the bench and just seem to have chilled out.

Curious if Sullivan can ever do the same.
We'll never find out with Sullivan because when he had the chance to go off board and hire someone intelligent like Campbell has been for Bylsma, he hired his best friend instead. That tells you all you need to know about where Sullivan's priorities are. Not only that, Sullivan hired his best friend that basically has the same exact faults he does as a coach with systems, x's and o's. His weird hype he gets for Karlsson's very good season is hilarious.

Before I was pumping David Carle's tires the last couple of years, I was saying the Penguins should hire Ryan Warsofsky - You know, the Sharks D-Coach that was there when Karlsson had his 100pt season. Lol, Quinn getting that credit.

Dan on the other hand, was on the US coaching team and saw Campbell for the German squad and asked around about her time in the Okanagan and how she worked with NHL'ers and how they sought her out. He saw the future potential in her as a compliment to his coaching staff and kudos to Dan for being smart in seeing that because she's done a tremendous job in Coachella with Dan and she earned that Assistant job with him.

Meanwhile, Sullivan - "Where my Masshole homies at, want a job?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad