GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
By the way, crazy outside the box thought, since a lot of people seem confused:

if you still have Sid, Geno and Letang on the team and you're not ready to rebuild, grabbing 2027 picks makes a whole lot more sense timeline wise than 2025s.

But Dubas is dumb with no plan and the people who are terminally online have it all figured out.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I agree with you. San Jose Sharks East!

But wait, my brain is trying to remember what happened last year... San Jose... drafted #1 overall? They were the worst team in the league?

But wait. You've been arguing this whole time that Dubas hasn't been pushing us in a direction. That we're not going to get younger and hungrier.

But wait, if we get extra picks and we get the first overall (because, as you just said, we're literally the San Jose Sharks) wouldn't that make us younger and hungrier?

But wait, if we're literally the worst team in the league, as you're saying, earnestly, because you're not just constantly moving the goalposts so that you can complain to complain, wouldn't that mean we had a plan and executed it PERFECTLY?

4 billion years of evolution and you waste it on "kindergarten kyle."

Waste of primordial ooze.

lol okay. call me in 2-3 years and let me know how Dubas' plan worked out.

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I can see Sid waiting to see what else Dubas does with the roster before signing just to make sure Dubas has some cap space incase there’s a trade for him to pull off. I don’t see him leaving after all his teammates signed long term and this being “his team” both symbolically and literally.

Karlsson on the other hand “wants to win” and I wonder if he’s having remorse after how last season went and how the core is aging. I personally like him but wonder if he finishes that contract here.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Honestly, the only thing that pisses me off from today is the news that they're trying to re-sign Petts.
These short term deals on crap is whatever. It won't make or break anything.
And I'm very happy with the Smith return.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
No idea how POJ fits with Grizzly or whatever his name is. I imagine Dubas is working the phones to see if the price to dump Graves isn't astronomical, but I'm sure it is. POJ kinda sucks anyway.
That's not what I'm arguing against.

People are arguing the forward group is comparable to last year. It isn't.

Dubas has literally turned us into the San Jose Sharks. Shit's about to get real.
Oh they're definitely finishing bottom-10 imo. I think Bunting will get a lot of points due to opportunity, but I don't think Sid's PPG season streak survives. Hell, I'm not sure it would've with Jake.

I dunno. I'm glad they've picked an avenue, but people are gonna have a real hard time accepting the era's finally good and dead--even thought it's been in hospice care for two years.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Hayes also plays RW, so I wouldn't even put it past Sullivan to f*** Puustinen over there as well with some 3rd line of Doc/Beau, Lizotte, Hayes

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Lizotte will be a $775k - 2 year deal. He's your Hino/Z/White replacement where he's likely in WBS until there's an injury. Bemstrom will be a AHL journeyman. I don't mind because he's a tremendous AHL player and think that could really help the young guys.

My question is starting to be more around Eller, Acciari, and Nieto. Awfully clogged roster at the moment.
Why do you have questions about the 3 players who will make up our 4th line?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think Ellers gone. Some one would easily give him 3m x 1 in this market.
Henrique, Roslovic, Cousins, and Girgensons are about the only centers worth anything. Henrique and Roslovic likely getting more than Eller's $2.45mil, so yeah if you need a center that's low risk, Eller can probably be had pretty easily. Detroit or Buffalo for a 4th and done.

I think the same for Acciari but would bet that Dubas likes him too much.

A potential move though could be an overpaid player for Eller+Acciari+pick if you are needing to round out an entire 4th line.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
you just said we're the San Jose Sharks. The plan worked PERFECTLY in your opinion.

You're literally saying his plan failed AND he made us the worst team in the league. How can you simultaneously say BOTH THINGS?

You're misunderstanding what I mean by comparing this team to the Sharks.

We are the Sharks in that we've locked ourselves into multiple high term contracts we can't move and get value for and we are just sitting around existing.

The Sharks finally pulled the bandaid the last few years and traded everyone regardless of how it impacted their future cap picture.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Honestly, the only thing that pisses me off from today is the news that they're trying to re-sign Petts.
These short term deals on crap is whatever. It won't make or break anything.
And I'm very happy with the Smith return.

I don't have a problem with re-signing Pettersson. You're not going to get any more for him now as a rental than if you'd trade him in 4 years as a guy with a year or two left. Those kind of defensemen usually maintain their value and don't fluctuate a ton.

He'll bring back like 2 2nds if you trade him now or if you trade him in 2028.

Reactions: Pengu

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

We are the Sharks in that we've locked ourselves into multiple high term contracts we can't move and get value for and we are just sitting around existing.
No. You're confusing what you're saying. The San Jose Sharks are one of the worst teams in the league. It's quite obvious that that's the only parallel there is to take from using them as a comparison, as there are PLENTY of teams in contract purgatory. To be compared to SJS is to literally be the worst of the worst.

Plus, you're calling him the worst GM on a day when he signed two 1-year deals. So what long term contracts has he locked us into today? Unless you're just repeating the same complaints from a year ago for no reason.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Dubas pitch to Crosby - "You're going to be 37-40 years old and still expected to create every play on your line"

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
How can you trust someone to fix this team if they trust what Mike Sullivan thinks about it?
Because it doesn't matter who we have as GM, FSG made it clear before the hiring that Sullivan was the one leading this franchise. I mean you know this as well.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
No idea how POJ fits with Grizzly or whatever his name is. I imagine Dubas is working the phones to see if the price to dump Graves isn't astronomical, but I'm sure it is. POJ kinda sucks anyway.

Oh they're definitely finishing bottom-10 imo. I think Bunting will get a lot of points due to opportunity, but I don't think Sid's PPG season streak survives. Hell, I'm not sure it would've with Jake.

I dunno. I'm glad they've picked an avenue, but people are gonna have a real hard time accepting the era's finally good and dead--even thought it's been in hospice care for two years.
He does but resigning him and starting Shea and JSI in WBS isn't the worst thing. You keep him and Gryz on the roster as trade pieces if a team suddenly needs defensive help.
Why do you have questions about the 3 players who will make up our 4th line?
Because they are the anti-thesis to what Dubas said he wants and we've sign guys who would, in theory, be their replacements.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I don't have a problem with re-signing Pettersson. You're not going to get any more for him now as a rental than if you'd trade him in 4 years as a guy with a year or two left. Those kind of defensemen usually maintain their value and don't fluctuate a ton.

He'll bring back like 2 2nds if you trade him now or if you trade him in 2028.
Maybe. Unnecessary risk of drop-off.
Don't need him now for anything. So why wait?

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

The Sharks finally pulled the bandaid the last few years and traded everyone regardless of how it impacted their future cap picture.
Who cares if Jarry, Graves and Rust are making a buncha money on a bottom feeder? What does it matter? The future cap picture doesn't matter until like 2032. :laugh: At worst, it barely effects their ability to make Hayes-type deals where they get assets for bad players. With the cap probably jumping another $5M next summer, I'm not sure it'll matter at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad