GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I can't really find it in me to be annoyed about a 1yr deal for anyone, let alone some bottom-4 meh defenseman making less than $3M. Better than POJ, might be able to be flipped for like a 3rd come TDL, if not--he just walks and nobody cares. Nobody's gonna remember he was even a Penguin in like 2 years. :laugh:

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Grzelcyk falls in that Troy Stecher return range of like a 3rd/4th as a rental next year. But this team needs as many picks as it can get, so I'd take a likely 3rd/4th over what they'd get for most other UFA options.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If you add Pono and factor in Nieto on LTIR we could safely get a wing with a cap hit of about 3.5 mil and have just a smidge left.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Damn Washington is trying to contend lmao
Hey how's it going didn't ur team trade assets for a 33 year old making $11m only to miss the playoffs?

The Caps are making these moves with the context that they actually have an incredibly strong forward prospect pool. They took some gambles sure but they did so while getting younger and while not giving up any important prospects or future picks

Reactions: Andy99

Goodleaf

Love a good stick.
Nov 15, 2010
Id rather have POJ and 1.5 in cap space, but didnt realize POJ asking for 3.5. Good luck with that.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
small, over 30, never played a full season cause he gets hurt - a natural Penguin
He missed one game in 2019-20. 73 and 75 games in 2022 and 2023.
You expect D-men to play all 82, like EK? This is just looking for holes for the sake of it.

Oh no, 30 years old and a 1-year deal. How horrific! Because D-men never play well at this age, apparently.

How about we actually research how he's played, instead of busting out the lazy 1-liner narratives?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Hey how's it going didn't ur team trade assets for a 33 year old making $11m only to miss the playoffs?

The Caps are making these moves with the context that they actually have an incredibly strong forward prospect pool. They took some gambles sure but they did so while getting younger and while not giving up any important prospects or future picks
We're both gonna be God awful bro

Goodleaf

Love a good stick.
Nov 15, 2010

I guess you and I have differing opinion on what an asset is.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
From what I can tell, the Penguins are sitting with $3 million in cap space with this roster right now:

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Smith-Eller-Puustinen
XXXX-Hayes-Acciari
Poulin-Puljujarvi

Pettersson-Karlsson
Grzelcyk-Letang
Graves-St. Ivany
Kral

Jarry-Nedjelkovic

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Max Jones to Boston. He's another I would have taken a cheap flyer on. Trouble staying healthy but he plays that rough style we lack.

GregR

Mar 4, 2002
He missed one game in 2019-20. 73 and 75 games in 2022 and 2023.
You expect D-men to play all 82, like EK? This is just looking for holes for the sake of it.

Oh no, 30 years old and a 1-year deal. How horrific! Because D-men never play well at this age, apparently.

How about we actually research how he's played, instead of busting out the lazy 1-liner narratives?
Okay, he was also a healthy scratch for 10 of Boston's 11 last playoff games.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The Caps can try and shine that turd all they want but they're still gonna be rather bad I think.

As are we though

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
I assume that shuts the door on POJ. He was probably looking at the $3.5mil range so it make sense to walk. Gryz on the third pairing for one year isn't the worst considering our LD depth.

YARN | Take care, now. Bye-bye, then. | Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994) |  Video clips by quotes | da119b3d | 紗

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
PLD sucks shit. The Caps will probably be better than the Pens, but they're definitely nothing close to relevant. Would rather my team accept reality, even start to, like the Pens than do whatever the Caps are doing tbh.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I assume that shuts the door on POJ. He was probably looking at the $3.5mil range so it make sense to walk. Gryz on the third pairing for one year isn't the worst considering our LD depth.
So much for getting younger though. We just added a 30 year old, and 32 year old.

Honestly though....
I think the oldest team in the league stigma/thing is overstated.

Only FA top six players I was interested in were Debrusk, Skinner and Stephenson, depending on the price. Laine/Pinto for trade.
Laine may still happen. Bertuzzi was something I would have considered.
Chyrchrun would have been great imo!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad