Proposal: Fowler to NJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Hard NJ pass.

Only expendable assets we have are picks (and we have lots of them). We can't afford to keep plugging one hole by opening up others.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
NJ isn't trading Zacha. This is the biggest nonsense proposal I've heard. Other than the Hall for Gaudreau nonsense also started by Whisky. This guy is clearly a troll.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
No.

Its absolutely foolish to trade Zacha at this point. I don't think Fowler is chopped liver in any respect, but this deal does not make sense for us. Our defensive hole is not as gaping as it seems. I'm far more content seeing what the likes of Santini and Auvitu can provide going forward and/or waiting for the trade deadline or even next offseason and chasing Shattenkirk or someone else who becomes available. The Devils are not going to be cup contenders this year and a 5-8 playoff seed is not a stretch even right now with one of the best goaltenders in the league anchoring our D. The one thing we can afford right now is patience. Kneejerking and offloading Zacha for Fowler is silly, espc if one of our young D hits and/or we make a deal for another player over the next year.

Not giving up Zacha for Fowler.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
NJ isn't trading Zacha. This is the biggest nonsense proposal I've heard. Other than the Hall for Gaudreau nonsense also started by Whisky. This guy is clearly a troll.

Nonsense? No, it's not nonsense.

This is nonsense:
Mark my words- 4 years from now Taylor Hall will be scoring 40+ goals with the Devils and while Gaureau will be bought out after proving to be a flash in the pan and signing an albatross contact.

And then you went on to say that Gaudreau is propped up by PP points. . . lol

mytduxfan*

Fowler is not a particularly good dman. Do you hate NJ?

Fowler is a top pairing D-man and was the #1 choice against the toughest opponents on the team that won the Jennings. His stats look bad because he's out of his depthi n the role he's in. He's a #2D doing the job of a #1D all whilst playing alongside Kevin ****ing Bieksa.

Is he worth Zacha? No. But he's a very good D-man and would be an excellent compliment to a true #1D on the top pairing of any team in the league. Having said that, I don't think Fowler suit NJs needs. Given that NJ doesn't have a #1D, I suspect Fowler would be heavily relied upon in a role he cannot manage. He's a #2 and will need support if he's to lead the top line like he has done in ANA.

Group Chat Legend*

This trade does nothing for Anaheim and is too rich for NJ's tastes

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Fowler is not a particularly good dman. Do you hate NJ?

What are you talking about? Fowler is a proven top pairing, puck moving defender who fits the speed mold I keep being told that we are going for. He led a very good Ducks team in TOI and can QB a PP extremely well. Plus the chemistry with Hall and Henrique from junior, which again I've been told is a key factor.

The price for a proven defenseman is very high, as we saw with the Hall trade. Trading two unproven forwards would very easily be worth it IMO, especially considering the amount of offense Fowler should create from the back end. In all likelihood, he'll outscore Zacha next season.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
We are not really in a spot to trade away forward prospects.

Yes we are... Just not ones named Pavel Zacha or Michael McLeod.

Hard NJ pass.

Only expendable assets we have are picks (and we have lots of them). We can't afford to keep plugging one hole by opening up others.

While I agree with you about the hard pass on this OP, the Devils now have an abundance of NHL caliber forwards and forward prospects. The position that is lacking now is the LHD position, and we don't know how long Andy Greene's body will allow him to do what he does. (Hopefully another 3-5 years!)

Fowler will receive a lot less than people expect IMO...

Agreed! Cam Fowler is a great defenseman, but when GMs see that Anaheim has Lindholm and Vatanen ahead of him, it kind of makes Cam's value go down a bit. Not that much, but definitely a little. And the internal budget that restricts Anaheim wont help them either.

Fowler is a top pairing D-man and was the #1 choice against the toughest opponents on the team that won the Jennings. His stats look bad because he's out of his depthi n the role he's in. He's a #2D doing the job of a #1D all whilst playing alongside Kevin ****ing Bieksa.

Is he worth Zacha? No. But he's a very good D-man and would be an excellent compliment to a true #1D on the top pairing of any team in the league. Having said that, I don't think Fowler suit NJs needs. Given that NJ doesn't have a #1D, I suspect Fowler would be heavily relied upon in a role he cannot manage. He's a #2 and will need support if he's to lead the top line like he has done in ANA.

I agree that Fowler isn't worth Zacha. Let alone Zacha + Blandisi. But Cam Fowler would fit PERFECTLY on the Devils defense. Andy Greene cant handle the LHD duties all by himself. He's 33.

Cam Fowler would be the #2 LHD behind Greene for the immediate future, then when Greene's play starts to decline in however many years, Cam Fowler takes over as the #1 LHD with either Severson or Santini as his #1RHD partner.
Fowler is a perfect fit on the Devils.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Sorry, but if Larsson is worth Hall, Fowler is very easily worth an unproven prospect whose ceiling is far beneath what Hall currently is. As it stands right now, it's more likely that Zacha becomes a career bottom 6 player than it is he reaches Hall's level.

Unless people all of the sudden think Zacha and Hall are of equal value.

mytduxfan*

Cam Fowler would be the #2 LHD behind Greene for the immediate future, then when Greene's play starts to decline in however many years, Cam Fowler takes over as the #1 LHD with either Severson or Santini as his #1RHD partner.

If Fowler was acquired by NJ, I'd be very surprised if he wasn't the #1 guy or at least got the most TOI. Heck, maybe NJ even put Green and Fowler together. Fowler's extremely capable, he's just not going to excel in a #1D role because he's not a #1D.

mytduxfan*

Sorry, but if Larsson is worth Hall, Fowler is very easily worth an unproven prospect whose ceiling is far beneath what Hall currently is. As it stands right now, it's more likely that Zacha becomes a career bottom 6 player than it is he reaches Hall's level.

You're preaching to the converted my man. Tbh, I initially put "probably not", but deleted it for fear of getting mauled by a group of NJ fans. I'm tired of defending Fowler. I think he's worth it, but I can't be bothered to spend hours justifying to people who don't watch him regularly and instead resort to warrior charts.

On a side note, has Zacha not impressed since being draft? You mention that he's more likely to become a bottom 6 player.

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
Blandisi + Zacha

for

Fowler

One Ducks fan has already agreed so I'm just going to assume all Ducks fans think this is a brilliant idea.

Risky deal for both teams. Blandisi has looked pretty good with NJ and they are hoping he will become a top 6 permanent player. Zacha of course being a top pick and has top line potential. Both pieces of course could develop into lesser players or vanish from the NHL altogether.

Fowler is Fowler. A top line defender and would replace Larsson well. He is guaranteed a 2/3 guy and likely will be a top line defender for NJ for years.

This is a big trade of potential for now. There is a downside for both teams. NJ is paying a high premium to get a current NHLer, regardless of Fowler's talent and the lack of guarantee for Zacha this is a high price to pay. Maybe too high. Anaheim gets the better of the trade IF both players hit their potential. There is the risk, Anaheim is in win now mode and this deal could be a step backwards and could not work out the way the deal is designed to, add to the fact they give up the best player in the trade.

Interesting idea but fans from both sides will hate this. No one likes to feel like they lose the deal and there is argument that either team loses.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
What are you talking about? Fowler is a proven top pairing, puck moving defender who fits the speed mold I keep being told that we are going for. He led a very good Ducks team in TOI and can QB a PP extremely well. Plus the chemistry with Hall and Henrique from junior, which again I've been told is a key factor.

The price for a proven defenseman is very high, as we saw with the Hall trade. Trading two unproven forwards would very easily be worth it IMO, especially considering the amount of offense Fowler should create from the back end. In all likelihood, he'll outscore Zacha next season.

Crazy how these two posts are less than 5 away from each other! Worth the 2 Fs and then not worth the 1

He's not worth Hall, we hit the player lottery. Chia needed a Rightie ...fast! Subban trade was happening and he was caught in that he may have had to give up more had he not pulled the trigger. We should have absolutely added a pick/ or Boucher/Blan/JQ, something to take the sting out of it. So you can't use that trade as a metric.

If Fowler was acquired by NJ, I'd be very surprised if he wasn't the #1 guy or at least got the most TOI. Heck, maybe NJ even put Green and Fowler together. Fowler's extremely capable, he's just not going to excel in a #1D role because he's not a #1D.
But he can play there if need be I think. Remember the west is bigger stronger faster so its a different animal, he would probably have a better time of it. Its also one of the reasons why I think Lars went to Edm he was on a Eastern team but seemed to be able to handle those attributes on western teams

EDIT: If we were realy looking to replace Lars, woudlnt we be looking at a rightiie like Trouba instead?

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
You're preaching to the converted my man. Tbh, I initially put "probably not", but deleted it for fear of getting mauled by a group of NJ fans. I'm tired of defending Fowler. I think he's worth it, but I can't be bothered to spend hours justifying to people who don't watch him regularly and instead resort to warrior charts.

On a side note, has Zacha not impressed since being draft? You mention that he's more likely to become a bottom 6 player.

Yeah im not sure WhiskeyDevil has any idea what he's talking about.
Zacha was a beast in both OHL playoffs he's played in.

Zacha has played 1 NHL game and was the absolute best player on the ice in that game. Recorded two assists - could/should have had more points if his teammates buried the puck and he had more luck on his side.

Zacha has played in 3 regular season AHL games, recording 1 goal, 2 assists.
Zacha has played in 5 AHL playoff games, recording 1 goal, 2 assists.

There is NO reason to believe Pavel Zacha wont be a great top 6 forward in the NHL, likely even a top 3 forward.

And in response to replacing Larsson - The Devils will likely rely on the 5 RHD defenseman in the organization to collectively replace Larsson's minutes.
Severson
Santini
Lovejoy
Mozik
Jacobs

Last edited:

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
Yes we are... Just not ones named Pavel Zacha or Michael McLeod.
problem is Them and Quenneville are the only ones that hold a real value and we need them to develop. Just because we have hall now doesn't mean we are all of a sudden good on forwards. We were absolutely terrible at scoring and lucky Cory held us in games.

While I agree with you about the hard pass on this OP, the Devils now have an abundance of NHL caliber forwards and forward prospects. The position that is lacking now is the LHD position, and we don't know how long Andy Greene's body will allow him to do what he does. (Hopefully another 3-5 years!)

Which one of those NHL caliber forwards are you going to trade. Also who are all these forward prospects. We have Zacha which is hopefully ready this year. Quenneville who isn't going to make the team and Mcleod whose a couple years away from making the team. The rest of our forward prospects are projected 3rd or 4th line players with little value.

Agreed! Cam Fowler is a great defenseman, but when GMs see that Anaheim has Lindholm and Vatanen ahead of him, it kind of makes Cam's value go down a bit. Not that much, but definitely a little. And the internal budget that restricts Anaheim wont help them either.

I agree that Fowler isn't worth Zacha. Let alone Zacha + Blandisi. But Cam Fowler would fit PERFECTLY on the Devils defense. Andy Greene cant handle the LHD duties all by himself. He's 33.

I would be more open to trade our first round because if we get a defenseman. With the additions we made I would expect we do better then last year.

mytduxfan*

Yeah im not sure WhiskeyDevil has any idea what he's talking about.
Zacha was a beast in both OHL playoffs he's played in.

Zacha has played 1 NHL game and was the absolute best player on the ice in that game. Recorded two assists - could/should have had more points if his teammates buried the puck and he had more luck on his side.

Zacha has played in 3 regular season AHL games, recording 1 goal, 2 assists.
Zacha has played in 5 AHL playoff games, recording 1 goal, 2 assists.

There is NO reason to believe Pavel Zacha wont be a great top 6 forward in the NHL, likely even a top 3 forward.

And in response to replacing Larsson - The Devils will likely rely on the 5 RHD defenseman in the organization to collectively replace Larsson's minutes.
Severson
Santini
Lovejoy
Mozik
Jacobs

I wouldn't brag about those 2 NHL assists. Fortunate at best IMO. Is he going to be in the AHL next year? That should be a good indication of whether he's got the goods. Gotta admit, his OHL offensive totals aren't that impressive. Am I missing something?

That's a lot to give up for 2 years of Fowler, I seriously doubt that Fowler would be willing to resign with New Jersey he will want to test the market in 2 years. Devil fans aren't going to like this.

Based on what? Why would Fowler "test the market" if he gets exactly what he wants from NJ. You've gotta stop sabotaging threads involving players you're interested in. I don't even think Fowler would be a fit in NJ, but you're being ridiculous when you say Fowler will not re-sign in NJ and, thus, they'll only have him for 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad