Former Ducks (2024-25 edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com

FlyingV09

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
A lot of Ducks talk and Mintyukov praising for former Ducks d-man Ilya Lyubushkin in this translated interview:

Have a good read!

Not a glowing review of Cronin…..

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Even though the coach was a good guy, he always put enormous psychological pressure on the players. We had a schedule where we would come in, warm up, sit in a meeting for an hour, and only then hit the ice. I always thought, ‘Why are we warming up now? Let’s do it after the hour-long meeting.’ They said, ‘No, we can’t do it that way.’ Then, after two months, they changed it, agreeing, ‘Okay, let’s do it your way.’

I think we've all had bosses that've pulled this kind of shit. Not a good look at all.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
It really isn't. The part about the order of practice - that they would come in, warm up, then sit for an hour in meetings (some of which Lyubushkin said weren't even hockey-related), and then get back on the ice to practice - that makes very little sense to me.

On the one hand, I appreciate that Cronin changed his approach midseason. On the other hand, that whole thing seems really weird to me. The point of warming up is to get the blood flowing and the muscles stretched out so that they don't go from nothing to full use too quickly. Why would he have the players warm up and then sit so that muscles could re-tighten?

The "psychological pressure" comments are also very alarming. There have been bits and pieces here and there that have made me skeptical of Cronin, but still hopeful that he can turn the ship around. This interview makes me think he's probably not the guy. We'll see how the season goes (the earliest he would get fired is next offseason), but this isn't a good look.

FlyingV09

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
It really isn't. The part about the order of practice - that they would come in, warm up, then sit for an hour in meetings (some of which Lyubushkin said weren't even hockey-related), and then get back on the ice to practice - that makes very little sense to me.

On the one hand, I appreciate that Cronin changed his approach midseason. On the other hand, that whole thing seems really weird to me. The point of warming up is to get the blood flowing and the muscles stretched out so that they don't go from nothing to full use too quickly. Why would he have the players warm up and then sit so that muscles could re-tighten?

The "psychological pressure" comments are also very alarming. There have been bits and pieces here and there that have made me skeptical of Cronin, but still hopeful that he can turn the ship around. This interview makes me think he's probably not the guy. We'll see how the season goes (the earliest he would get fired is next offseason), but this isn't a good look.
I’ve been defending him till now given his short tenure but if there are other players feeling this way, it is certainly concerning.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Wow those quotes about Cronin are pretty horrible.

This one screams to me:

“It wasn’t just because we weren’t winning—there was a combination of factors. The coach, Greg Cronin, was very tough, and the psychological atmosphere within the team was very difficult. It wasn’t that I wanted to quit hockey at that moment, but I did catch myself thinking, ‘Am I really tired of hockey already?!'

But you’d come to these meetings, sit there for 40 minutes, listening to things unrelated to hockey. Then, finally, we’d start watching video. By then, you’ve already been sitting for 40 minutes, listening to random stories. It was just exhausting. He’s a good coach and a good person, but that was his approach. You’d walk into the locker room and see all the other guys with the same expressions on their faces as you… It was hard to find any motivation to go out and train. And it wasn’t just about struggling to find motivation—you just didn’t want to do it.”

A Dude who has played hockey his entire life was questioning whether he wanted to actually play a game he supposedly loved? Cronin's approach combined with losing so much must have made the atmosphere terrible.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
"Am I really tired of hockey already?!"

Can't blame him. I thought the same thing. :laugh: :cry:

"Even though the coach was a good guy, he always put enormous psychological pressure on the players."

Oh, boy. Wait until our beat writers hear about this! The org will have to answer some really tough questions.

• Haha
Reactions: ohcomeonref

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
The only good thing I can say about Cronin’s coaching is he has managed to get the team to body check more. Even Leason finally started throwing his 6’5 220 frame around last season.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
“It wasn’t just because we weren’t winning—there was a combination of factors. The coach, Greg Cronin, was very tough, and the psychological atmosphere within the team was very difficult. It wasn’t that I wanted to quit hockey at that moment, but I did catch myself thinking, ‘Am I really tired of hockey already?!'

But you’d come to these meetings, sit there for 40 minutes, listening to things unrelated to hockey. Then, finally, we’d start watching video. By then, you’ve already been sitting for 40 minutes, listening to random stories. It was just exhausting. He’s a good coach and a good person, but that was his approach. You’d walk into the locker room and see all the other guys with the same expressions on their faces as you… It was hard to find any motivation to go out and train. And it wasn’t just about struggling to find motivation—you just didn’t want to do it.”

A Dude who has played hockey his entire life was questioning whether he wanted to actually play a game he supposedly loved? Cronin's approach combined with losing so much must have made the atmosphere terrible.

I wonder if the 40 minutes was more for the youths on the team with the culture Verbeek and Cronin wanted to develop. That's probably how the kids all had to suck it up and play through injuries last year. We heard from Verbeek that he is happy with the team as they have improved in team culture, despite our abysmal season. That's a totally different perspective to what happened the previous end of the season report with Eakins even though the records were eerily similar.

From NHL.com: Verbeek, Cronin Recap Ducks Season.
On Greg Cronin
I've got a super long time for Greg Cronin. Got a lot of respect for him. Very competitive, very passionate guy. Love his approach to life and his approach to our hockey team. I'm very happy with the job that he did this year. There were a lot of things that were positive. Guys had career years and we certainly improved our competitiveness, our work ethic and the overall culture has taken big strides. Do we still have work to do? Yes, we do, but overall I'm very happy from that aspect.

If you read further down that NHL.com article, you'll see Cronin's recap and he's huge on "messaging". That kinda supports Lyubushkin's recounting.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Wow those quotes about Cronin are pretty horrible.

This one screams to me:

It will be a celebratory day when Cronin is let go..

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
cronin better be gone after this season if there's no notable improvement from the last couple seasons. haven't heard anything good about him since he took over

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad