Bettman visiting Winnipeg to meet with corporate sponsors, host a fireside chat with fans amid declining season ticket sales

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BMN

Jun 2, 2021
Does Bryan Hayes believe what he said in that editiorial? Maybe. Or maybe he was simply the guy who was assigned to it or volunteered for it.
I may have already posted this story on the board before (time is a flat circle...esp. on HFBoards), but I once saw Tony Schiavone (of all people to cite in a hockey thread) tell the story of a slow day in his sports radio career. The host randomly mentioned that he didn't think Michael Jordan was the greatest basketball player of all time. The phone lines lit up. After his shift ends, the board op asks him "you don't REALLY think Michael Jordan isn't the greatest basketball player of all time, do you?" The host responds "of course I don't, but we filled the hour, didn't we?"

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
If the arena continues to be half empty and tv ratings keep steadily declining it won’t matter what’s around the arena. It’s time for Jets fans to put up or shut up. Honeymoon period is long over.
Speaking of not true, I will await your reply with specific examples of all the individual games for last season in which the Jets drew 7500 people (half-empty arena).

Reactions: jetsmooseice

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
True North deal to revitalize downtown Winnipeg deal done!

Here is the link from Global News Winnipeg:

The Jets are secure for the very very long term. This agreement settles it. At least it should…

More meat on this bone from CBC News

Overall, this is good news for Jets ownership as they do have more invested in the area. Plus, more surrounding entertainment options are always great for gameday (though, the asset types picked are a bit strange).

That said, this is by no means securing anything for a "very very long term". Many owners start selling off pieces of the development over time. Here in Atlanta, Liberty Media started selling off pieces of The Battery within the first year or two despite huge success at the gates. Once the real estate proves successful, the price goes up and smart investors/owners typically cash in pretty quickly.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Winnipeg is a great hockey market! I enjoy watching your prospects on the Norfolk admirals….

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
This is not true at all. A quick browse of seatgeek and I see tickets in every Canadian market except Toronto for $40 and under. Calgary and Ottawa are practically giving away tickets.

If you're looking right now you're probably seeing pre-season tickets - which I agree. I literally had a pair given to me last week.

Regular season you can probably find tickets at below face value, but generally mid-week against an opponent with no real star attraction.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Speaking of not true, I will await your reply with specific examples of all the individual games for last season in which the Jets drew 7500 people (half-empty arena).

Yeah, honestly. "Half empty arena" what even is this shit.

I swear some people here think that if they keep this thread going, they can pry the Jets away from Winnipeg.

Reactions: hui43210

hui43210

Mar 8, 2015
Ottawa, ON
If you're looking right now you're probably seeing pre-season tickets - which I agree. I literally had a pair given to me last week.

Regular season you can probably find tickets at below face value, but generally mid-week against an opponent with no real star attraction.

Here in Ottawa, you can get $35 tickets on Ticketmaster all year long in standing room. I can see that changing when the Sens move downtown, won't be as hard to get people to games then.

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I swear some people here think that if they keep this thread going, they can pry the Jets away from Winnipeg.

I don't think anyone's trying to pry anything from anywhere, as that's not how it works. But it's fair to question how long of a leash Thompson et al. will give them if the surrounding community--both fans and corporate--doesn't step up to support a perennial playoff team. I would think that nationalistic pride eventually runs out at some undefined point.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I don't think anyone's trying to pry anything from anywhere, as that's not how it works. But it's fair to question how long of a leash Thompson et al. will give them if the surrounding community--both fans and corporate--doesn't step up to support a perennial playoff team. I would think that nationalistic pride eventually runs out at some undefined point.
It’s possible, but Thompson is the richest owner in the league by far.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020

One problem with your premise, though: who says that the Jets aren't being supported?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad