Former Canucks Thread 2023-24 Off-Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
How the hell do you know what? Guys like Valk, Scatchard, Ward, Sopel etc have come out and said he scouted them. Muckalt, Tyson Nash. There's a few more. The dude was solid for a decent chunk of time and he lost his way. We all know this. I was trying to wind the clock back a dozen years as those are the guys that really matter to the current team. Why piss and cry about shit that happened when you rocked diapers?

So you attribute the successes to Penny but bury Delorme at the same time. There's a big tent, a gaggle of makeup and some shitty wigs for you.

1. The game changes and sometimes people can't adapt.
2. It's a hell of a lot different being a scout from being the guy running the scouting.
3. We took a hell of a lot of Western Canadian kids from 1987-1995 and some were bound to hit.

I did hear it reported a bunch of years ago that the 1995 Sopel/Schaefer draft where he got those two picks right really aided in his flying up the organizational ranks. Unfortunately, the next 25 players we picked after that from the west were all donkeys.

I also distinctly remember an interview with either Penney or Delorme on Dan Russell's show in 1994 where it was outright stated that they hadn't really watched Muckalt play but drafted him because he scored a lot of points. It was a kind of crazy quote that stuck out to me even then as a teenager.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Why did Delorme nail it in Western Canada for a lot of picks in the late 80's to mid 90's and then piss his pants for the last 20 odd years? It's bizarre really. The Canucks as a whole has shit the bed drafting out of this country.

Did he nail it in Western Canada for a lot of picks in the late 80s and mid 90s though? Delorme presumably also didn't have as much influence in the late 80s to closer to the mid 90s? I made a post here earlier responding to @Vector about how the Canucks spent a lot of high picks on forwards and if they had simply used the pick to draft the next defenseman drafted, the team would have drafted quite a few quality defensemen over the years.

Just take the era in question, 1997 we drafted Ference. The next defenseman drafted out of the WHL is Scott Hannan. 1996 we drafted Holden, next defenseman drafted was Derrick Morris out of the WHL (to be fair Holden was a popular pick IIRC). 1991 we drafted Stojanov and the next defenseman drafted was Matvichuk (WHL).

What about later round gems out of the WHL since Delorme started as a scout here? Nothing from the 80s. 1994 was a relatively good year but could be better. We drafted Chad Allan. Next WHL Dman drafted was Sheldon Souray. 1995 was a relatively good year. Can't complain too much. That's it. I don't see any later round gems out of the WHL.

Oh and to further illustrate the point I made to Vector, in 2013 (and Delorme lost some of his influence by then), if we used our first round picks on the next drafted defensemen, we would have drafted Morrisey (WHL) and Theodore (WHL). Kind of crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad