OT: Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Sounds like it was an illness of some sort as it says he passed away peacefully. Cancer maybe?
I haven't heard a cause.

I was just reading about a former Nashville Predator player who took his own life and had cte. He was in his 40s. I really enjoy the NFL and NHL but I am concerned about the players and cte.

• Wow
Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'm not sure which metric is more useless....preseason NFL or preseason NHL.
Seems with the Giants things only matter if they go badly. My big thing every season is the Oline. No Oline means no playoffs. This season we have a patch work online that kind of reminds me of 2000. Not huge in demand guys but some vets that may be able to get the job done. Now is the time for optimism 😊

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Unintentionally, Harbaugh became Captain Sean Connery in The Hunt for Red October after he told the USSR he stole the nuclear sub. Harbaugh may be rich, but I don't think he can return to the NCAA.
I think he was expecting this which is why he jumped to the NFL. At this point I don't think he cares anymore.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
New kickoff rules are confusing. I guess onside kicks are no longer a thing.
I believe you can only do them in the 4th quarter and only if you're losing, and then you have to declare that you're going to do one. Then you line up and run them the same way.

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
I think he was expecting this which is why he jumped to the NFL. At this point I don't think he cares anymore.
Hot take:

By the time Harbaugh is done scratching his NFL itch, the NCAA will no longer exist in its present form as members of the SEC and B10 will have split off to form their own athletic organizations with their own rules.

He has a four year show cause penalty. With the rate things are going in realignment I'll take the under in terms of anyone being left in the NCAA's offices to actually enforce that.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
theres no bigger waste of time than watching pre-season football BUT i'm so happy to see the Jets wearing these uniforms.

And sad that the Washington Football Team abandoned the Redskins uniform, that was one of the best in the NFL. Its not like the uniforms were offensive, just a name and logo change was enough. Morons.

Babe Ruth

Looks wise.. I'm a solid 8.5
Feb 2, 2016
And sad that the Washington Football Team abandoned the Redskins uniform, that was one of the best in the NFL. Its not like the uniforms were offensive, just a name and logo change was enough.
I also miss those uniforms.. in your opinion what was offensive about the logo(?) Or do you feel it naturally had to go, if the name was retired..?
I never really understood why an Indian's profile was offensive, same for the feathers. There was no mocking, or sacrilegious, intent in the feathers. They were matter-of-fact decoration.

William & Mary did a similar (logo) redesign, after the NCAA claimed that a pair of feathers was "abusive & hostile". Which always seemed like ironic accusations from the petty tyrants at the NCAA.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I also miss those uniforms.. in your opinion what was offensive about the logo(?) Or do you feel it naturally had to go, if the name was retired..?
I never really understood why an Indian's profile was offensive, same for the feathers. There was no mocking, or sacrilegious, intent in the feathers. They were matter-of-fact decoration.

William & Mary did a similar (logo) redesign, after the NCAA claimed that a pair of feathers was "abusive & hostile". Which always seemed like ironic accusations from the petty tyrants at the NCAA.
Well the name definitely was offensive. The logo was not on the level of Chief Wahoo but it definitely was inappropriate.

Anyway they should have picked a better name than "Commanders" and should have kep the old uniforms. They were timeless.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I don't think it was offensive but is there another ethnic group could you base a football team on? What would you call it?

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Well the name definitely was offensive. The logo was not on the level of Chief Wahoo but it definitely was inappropriate.

Anyway they should have picked a better name than "Commanders" and should have kep the old uniforms. They were timeless.
The name is a nod to the military here in DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad