OT: Football Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
The fighting Irish
I'm not irish but I've always thought these icons are more of a caricature than the redskin logo so seems kind of surprising it lasted I suppose. Still, the name is not about the physical appearance of the irish. The Notre Dame fighting freckles? The Boston Gingers?

1723471774331.png
1723471934443.png

Gordon Bombay

Built for the HFNYR Offseason
Oct 13, 2006
Haason Reddick has requested a trade. What a nightmare.

Can JD even recoup the 3rd he gave up? He let Huff and JFM walk for nothing if we trade this idiot. So much for edge being a strength...

Old Mcdonald is gonna have to step up, which I don't see him being strong enough for that role.

• Wow
Reactions: NickyFotiu

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Haason Reddick has requested a trade. What a nightmare. Can JD even recoup the 3rd he gave up? He let Huff and JFM walk for nothing if we trade this idiot. So much for edge being a strength... Old Mcdonald is gonna have to step up, which I don't see him being strong enough for that role.

Just adding a link.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'm not a Jets fan but I do not blame them in this case. They traded for a guy under contract for $14 mill this season. If Reddick wants to walk away from that then that is his choice but he signed the contract. He had no problem pocketing the signing bonuses.

Reactions: majordomo

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
I'm not a Jets fan but I do not blame them in this case. They traded for a guy under contract for $14 mill this season. If Reddick wants to walk away from that then that is his choice but he signed the contract. He had no problem pocketing the signing bonuses.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The problem is he forced his way out of Philadelphia because he was unhappy with his contract and basically said he wouldn't play on his current deal. The assumption was the Jets either had an understanding with Reddick that he'd start the year on his current deal or they'd give him a new one. So now it would appear that either Reddick lied or the Jets are just f***ing inept beyond belief, and given the team's history, the latter seems quite likely.

Even if Reddick did lie or deceive the Jets, this was a big gamble that they really didn't need to take. So the fact that it's blowing up on them is just another self-inflicted wound.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The problem is he forced his way out of Philadelphia because he was unhappy with his contract and basically said he wouldn't play on his current deal. The assumption was the Jets either had an understanding with Reddick that he'd start the year on his current deal or they'd give him a new one. So now it would appear that either Reddick lied or the Jets are just f***ing inept beyond belief, and given the team's history, the latter seems quite likely.

Even if Reddick did lie or deceive the Jets, this was a big gamble that they really didn't need to take. So the fact that it's blowing up on them is just another self-inflicted wound.

I understand the complaints but in my view Reddick is under contract. If he chooses to sit out the season that is $14 mill he will never get back and the Jets will still own his rights.

If I was a Jets fan I would be fine with this. They traded for a guy under contract. If it was a higher pick I might be upset but I think the Jets are being smart by not handing over a huge deal. Philly did not want to do that. I suspect many teams will not want to. If I'm the Jets I let him sit or just tell his agent to go find a trade. The price for the trade is a 3rd round pick in 2025 and a conditional 4th round pick in 2026.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
I understand the complaints but in my view Reddick is under contract. If he chooses to sit out the season that is $14 mill he will never get back and the Jets will still own his rights.

If I was a Jets fan I would be fine with this. They traded for a guy under contract. If it was a higher pick I might be upset but I think the Jets are being smart by not handing over a huge deal. Philly did not want to do that. I suspect many teams will not want to. If I'm the Jets I let him sit or just tell his agent to go find a trade. The price for the trade is a 3rd round pick in 2025 and a conditional 4th round pick in 2026.

The Jets created a mess they didn’t have to, they let Huff walk to Philly when they had ample opportunity to sign him. They dump JFM when he has said he would have stayed for the pay cut he took in Denver. They trade for Reddick, who a good organization like Philly knew was a contract problem, and get at least a third round pick for. It’s incompetence from the Jets, which is normal for them, a self created mess.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The Jets created a mess they didn’t have to, they let Huff walk to Philly when they had ample opportunity to sign him. They dump JFM when he has said he would have stayed for the pay cut he took in Denver. They trade for Reddick, who a good organization like Philly knew was a contract problem, and get at least a third round pick for. It’s incompetence from the Jets, which is normal for them, a self created mess.
I would let things play out before making any conclusions. I read a week ago that some in Philly were not sure that the $51 mill to Huff was looking that great in camp so far.

Gordon Bombay

Built for the HFNYR Offseason
Oct 13, 2006
This mess actually started with the Rodgers trade. JD adds in the pick swap, when he has all the leverage in the trade, and loses out on the OT Jones in the draft. Then for some moronic reason takes an older, extremely raw edge in Mcdonald over WR prospects like JSN and Addison when there is a clear need for a WR2 on the team. Now that he has the edge prospect, he opts for the mystery box instead of just resigning the UDFA homegrown Huff, who is what Mcdonald will hopefully be. And just to add, signs an older WR coming off an ACL to be WR2 instead of just having one initially.

It's Idzik, McCagnan levels of inept. I gave JD a very long leash given what he walked into. He basically had an expansion team. It's time to shit or get off the pot. The wins need to start coming, and more importantly this kind of shit cannot keep happening.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
The NFL does this to themselves by not having guaranteed contracts. I don't blame the players one bit. No one is taking care of these guys when they get hurt and their careers are over. Get your bag while you have the leverage, because your team will use your contract as toilet paper the minute it no longer suits them.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
The NFL does this to themselves by not having guaranteed contracts. ...
Many of the top players have partial or fully guaranteed contracts. The amounts listed are fully guaranteed:

QB Deshaun Watson, $230M
RB Christian McCaffrey, $36.3M
WR Justin Jefferson, $110M
TE TJ Hockenson, 42.5M

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The NFL does this to themselves by not having guaranteed contracts. I don't blame the players one bit. No one is taking care of these guys when they get hurt and their careers are over. Get your bag while you have the leverage, because your team will use your contract as toilet paper the minute it no longer suits them.

Reddick doesn't really have the leverage when the Jets have no incentive to deal him.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Reddick doesn't really have the leverage when the Jets have no incentive to deal him.
Reddick absolutely has leverage. He can withhold his services. And the holdout becomes a sideshow that dominates the media when the team is trying to come together and prepare for the season. Same thing is happening with CeeDee Lamb in Dallas. That situation might actually be worse due to Jerry's comments.

It's very rare that these holdouts end with the player not getting traded or getting a decent contract.

And the Jets absolutely did this to themselves. They knew Reddick wanted a new deal before they traded for him.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Reddick absolutely has leverage. He can withhold his services. And the holdout becomes a sideshow that dominates the media when the team is trying to come together and prepare for the season. Same thing is happening with CeeDee Lamb in Dallas. That situation might actually be worse due to Jerry's comments.

It's very rare that these holdouts end with the player not getting traded or getting a decent contract.

And the Jets absolutely did this to themselves. They knew Reddick wanted a new deal before they traded for him.

It's not a sideshow. It gives the media things to talk about because the media likes to make a big deal out of things. The players and coaching staff almost never care about this. Heard this story a million times.

Yea, except withholding his services does not accomplish much. The Jets are already strong on the D-Line. This isn't the NHL/MLB where players have huge trade value. There's not much of an opportunity cost. Why do they care about dealing him to someone for a 6th round pick or whatever? They'll just let him sit at home and he's mostly hurting himself by not getting paid.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
It's not a sideshow. It gives the media things to talk about because the media likes to make a big deal out of things. The players and coaching staff almost never care about this. Heard this story a million times.

Yea, except withholding his services does not accomplish much. The Jets are already strong on the D-Line. This isn't the NHL/MLB where players have huge trade value. There's not much of an opportunity cost. Why do they care about dealing him to someone for a 6th round pick or whatever? They'll just let him sit at home and he's mostly hurting himself by not getting paid.
We'll see who's right on this one. My bet is that he ends up with a substantially better deal when this is all said and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad