OT: Football Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Really isn't that big a deal. Barkley held out for a day last year. Slay stayed out for a day or more this year. When your total investment is a 3rd round pick and the guy is under contract you don't worry to much. Reddick has almost zero leverage. Jets dont have to do anything. The odds that Reddick just walks away from his career are very small. Possible but very rare for a guy seeking more money.

Reactions: Barnaby

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Many of the top players have partial or fully guaranteed contracts. The amounts listed are fully guaranteed:

QB Deshaun Watson, $230M
RB Christian McCaffrey, $36.3M
WR Justin Jefferson, $110M
TE TJ Hockenson, 42.5M
Just the 1st one is fully guaranteed (skill cap and injury). Fully guaranteed contracts require the total amount of the contract to be placed in escrow (or maybe the present value). I think the guaranteed money on non-fully guaranteed contracts can be placed in escrow but is not required.

Owners may be billionaires but not be liquid enough to put $500 million cash in escrow to cover all the guarantees on the team.

We'll see who's right on this one. My bet is that he ends up with a substantially better deal when this is all said and done.
He is almost certain to get a bigger deal but maybe not the deal he is looking for. They'll probably agree to a short term guaranteed deal with later non-guaranteed years at a large AAV.

This stuff happens in the NFL a lot - often because the player wants an excuse to skip camp.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Nope. I said, "Many of the top players have partial or fully guaranteed contracts. The amounts listed are fully guaranteed", and those amounts are all fully guaranteed. The NFL's highest-paid players at every position: Here's who makes the most money, from QB to punter
It's not just about money "fully guaranteed" incorporates guarantees for skill, cap and injury. Essentially all guaranteed contracts except for watsons are missing at least one of those elements. At least that's the way I understand it. The CBA language is a little unclear on the requirements.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Nope. Wow, you're being obtuse. I said "Many of the top players have partial or fully guaranteed contracts. The amounts listed are fully guaranteed" and even posted a link to prove I'm correct. The NFL's highest-paid players at every position: Here's who makes the most money, from QB to punter I never said the contracts were fully guaranteed. Why not just have a little integrity and admit you're wrong?
Wow aren't you a saint. I'm referring to 100% fully guaranteed contracts, not contracts with some guaran teed money. The article you linked doesn't mention "fully guaranteed" anywhere, just who has the most guaranteed money by position. Not all guarantees are the same.

Many of the top players have partial or fully guaranteed contracts. The amounts listed are fully guaranteed:

QB Deshaun Watson, $230M
RB Christian McCaffrey, $36.3M
WR Justin Jefferson, $110M
TE TJ Hockenson, 42.5M

Per overthecap.com

Deshaun Watson - fully guaranteed
CMC - $38 million total - $24 million guaranteed
Jefferson - $140 million total - $89 million guaranteed
Hockenson - $66 million total - $29 million guaranteed

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Wow aren't you a saint. I'm referring to 100% fully guaranteed contracts, not contracts with some guaranteed money. The article you linked doesn't mention "fully guaranteed" anywhere, just who has the most guaranteed money by position. ...
Which is exactly what I've been talking about the whole time. I have noticed a pattern where you ignore what others are saying and just keep making the same irrelevant point over and over. You can't admit you're wrong. It's pretty sad.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
All FG offensive performance for the Jets yesterday. I sample of things to come… Hacketball, baby.

Those home greens though, make me moist.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
All FG offensive performance for the Jets yesterday. I sample of things to come… Hacketball, baby.

Preseason football is the shits, although kind of funny the Chiefs are one of the rare teams that plays everyone, and they are the gold standard.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Something tells me it'll be a different story once Rodgers plays QB in the regular season and the main starters predominately playing, lol.
I think the play calling will be still be shit and uninspired. The execution will be better hopefully lol

But yeah I get you, preseason football has become completely unwatchable. Pretty much televised 3rd string tryouts these days, with some rare exceptions .

Last edited:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
If any of you are interested in joining a fantasy league let me know I’m short a few players.

$125 on yahoo, ppr, modified standings, online draft.

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina

I was at the Jets-Panthers game, and I agree, those green uniforms looked SO good in person! 🔥

Both teams played their 3rd and 4th stringers pretty much. It was an ugly game full of penalties and dropped passes. The Jets were clearly focusing on the run game and seeing what they got in their backup RBs. The Panthers committed three offensive pass interference penalties, which was pretty hilarious. The officiating in general was straight garbage though for both teams. Must have been the 3rd string officials calling that game too!

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Preseason football is the worst. At least in baseball and hockey you're going to see a good amount of regulars in most games. I swear half the NFL preseason games, teams will go a whole game without playing one guy who will be on the final roster. I get the risk of injury is higher in the NFL and all that but man, it's terrible. And I remember not being like that, like, recently.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Preseason football is the worst. At least in baseball and hockey you're going to see a good amount of regulars in most games. I swear half the NFL preseason games, teams will go a whole game without playing one guy who will be on the final roster. I get the risk of injury is higher in the NFL and all that but man, it's terrible. And I remember not being like that, like, recently.

The NFL at some point is going to add another regular season week, hopefully they dump another preseason week.

Just unwatchable unless your so hardcore you care about who is going to be like players 46-53 on the rosters.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Teams are getting more and more conservative with preseason with the 17-game schedule and ever increasing risk of injury. It makes little sense to risk your starters for a meaningless game, even if it theoretically could prepare them for the regular season.

Didn't Mike Tomlin threaten his players that if they got in a fight in camp, he'd bench the back-ups or play the starters the whole game? Pretty much sums up the state of pre-season: it's a chance for the back-ups to showcase themselves and possibly secure a roster spot. But for the starters, playing time is a punishment and increased injury risk.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Teams are getting more and more conservative with preseason with the 17-game schedule and ever increasing risk of injury. It makes little sense to risk your starters for a meaningless game, even if it theoretically could prepare them for the regular season.

Didn't Mike Tomlin threaten his players that if they got in a fight in camp, he'd bench the back-ups or play the starters the whole game? Pretty much sums up the state of pre-season: it's a chance for the back-ups to showcase themselves and possibly secure a roster spot. But for the starters, playing time is a punishment and increased injury risk.
Oh I totally understand it. Although I also see KC who is the best franchise in the sport running around with Mahomes and Kelce playing playground ball. I do think the pendulum has probably swung a little too far towards caution, but what do I know, I'm not the guy that would be held responsible if the QB blew out his knee.

Even though I fervently hate the Jets, I pay pretty close attention to them. I look at the box score and I see these guys and I'm like who? Xazavian Valladay? Marcelino McCrary-Ball? These are not real people, they're computer-generated people from MLB The Show. It's like that game several years ago where the Jets WR corp was a bunch of dudes from Walmart, or so it seemed. And this is like every preseason game now.

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL

Last edited:

Salsa Shark

Sep 1, 2009
Jersey
There used to be 6 preseason games and 14 regular season games, they added 2 regular season games and dumped 2 preseason games. Now they don't even really do the 3rd game dress rehearsal. Starters might play a quarter, if that. Then we wonder why Sept football is sloppy football

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
It’s never been great but it’s pure dogshit now

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

I do not know why WFT would trade a young former 1st round pick who has been productive to the Eagles. Strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad