GDT: Flying apparatuses vs Snow in movement - October 19, 2022: Kaut on tape

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
If he can produce at NAK level you take it and run.
I’ve not forgotten that getting NAK off the waiver wire made a big difference to our bottom 6 through the season, until we made our deadline moves and Helm woke up for the post season. Every little piece of the puzzle is important

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I always liked Burakovsky. Guy was our one man secondary scoring threat and secondary zone entry plan for a while before Kadri and Nuke went off last year.
I liked Bura as well, didn't care to much about his floating and defensive concerns as much as others. Mainly cause I knew he was able to score big goals here and there.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
With Landy out, the Avs are missing an entire scoring line's worth of forwards from last year. Very good ones too. That's gonna hurt no matter what.

It's funny but 3-on-3 runs completely counter to Nathan MacKinnon's game. You'd think it wouldn't but it does. His game is predicated on finding/creating space that isn't there, weaving through gaps and bulldozing his way through defenders. You can see he tries that in OT and it usually leads to disaster--there's all this wide open space and he tries jamming himself in between three guys to make a play of some sort. Meanwhile, guys like Nuke (and before him, EJ) say "Holy shit, lookit all this open space" and they use it to their advantage.

Anyway, I was largely impressed with last night's effort after that atrocious 1st period. It's a good sign when the team doesn't lay down after a bad start, I think they'll work out the kinks eventually. And so far, I'm mostly good with Georgiev--he's made a whole lot of big stops when he needs too, and his rebound control isn't great, but it isn't nearly as scary as Kuemper's was.
You need to have IQ to be good 3 on 3. MacK lacks in this area big time imo.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You need to have IQ to be good 3 on 3. MacK lacks in this area big time imo.

Meh, I don't even think it's that. EJ isn't a guy I consider to be big on hockey IQ at all and he used to be the only guy who ever knew what he was doing out there in the extra session (and Bednar for a while hated using him, which IMO was one of his biggest failings as a coach). It doesn't help him though.

To me, more than anything else, it's Nate's intensity that bites him in the ass when he's out there in regular season OT. It serves him well in any other scenario, but not there. He just doesn't know when to give up on a play or back off forcing something that isn't there. He can get away with that in regulation or the playoffs, but not there.

Funny though, there's not a single other player I'd rather have on the ice in POSTSEASON overtime. In that regard, dude is a force.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Why is everyone saying ERod is replacing Bura? The team clearly replaced Bura with Lehkonen to start the season. I don't think they were expecting Landy to be out 12 weeks. Technically if the lineup was in full supply Erod should be replacing 3rd line version of lehkonen.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Why is everyone saying ERod is replacing Bura? The team clearly replaced Bura with Lehkonen to start the season. I don't think they were expecting Landy to be out 12 weeks. Technically if the lineup was in full supply Erod should be replacing 3rd line version of lehkonen.
Lehkonen hasnt done much since game 1 so he is on a Bura like trajectory you right.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
You’d be even more upset with ERod there… he’d kill plays. That’s what he has typically done when paired with better players. He is at his best Johnny Malkining it.

Put Newhook on MacK’s wing with Nuke. Best chance for him to gain some offensive confidence. Then run Lehk-Rants-Kaut as the 2nd line (only since Kaut did all he needed to do tonight… when/if he struggles that should be Compher).
Moving ERod up only works if its onto Crosby's line........ Oh wait, we don't have Crosby..... we have Mr Impatient, elite standards only, no excuses accepted, Nathan MacKinnon.

Who is the high energy fuel for this team.......

So, never mind.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Lehkonen is an entirely different player than Burakowsky. Their skills sets, style of play and usage are not equivalent.

ERod IS the Bura replacement. When he came to the Avs I figured, well, it's only hot/cold Burakowsky who fills a niche.

Not addressing Kadri's loss other than slotting Newhook as an interim solution is what is going to need attention sooner than latter.

ERod is no Kadri replacement.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Lehkonen is an entirely different player than Burakowsky. Their skills sets, style of play and usage are not equivalent.

ERod IS the Bura replacement. When he came to the Avs I figured, well, it's only hot/cold Burakowsky who fills a niche.

Not addressing Kadri's loss other than slotting Newhook as an interim solution is what is going to need attention sooner than latter.

ERod is no Kadri replacement.
While his playstyle is different I'm talking about his spot in the lineup. In a fully healthy lineup it would be

Landy Mack Rants
Nuke Newhook Lehk

Last year was
Landy Mack Rants
Nuke Kadri Bura

Managements hope here is that Lehkonen can replace bura's spot in the lineup. Maybe not his entire scoring but the role of Top 6 W. At least that's how I view what they've done. Erod than is basically trying to replace what lehkonen gave them as a 3rd line depth upgrade in the playoffs but I don't think he'll be able to. And newhook won't be able to replace Kadri let alone trying to replace last year's Kadri.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
While his playstyle is different I'm talking about his spot in the lineup. In a fully healthy lineup it would be

Landy Mack Rants
Nuke Newhook Lehk

Last year was
Landy Mack Rants
Nuke Kadri Bura

Managements hope here is that Lehkonen can replace bura's spot in the lineup. Maybe not his entire scoring but the role of Top 6 W. At least that's how I view what they've done. Erod than is basically trying to replace what lehkonen gave them as a 3rd line depth upgrade in the playoffs but I don't think he'll be able to. And newhook won't be able to replace Kadri let alone trying to replace last year's Kadri.
Well, only Joe, Chris and Jared know for certain.......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad