Flyers identity and concept

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
For me 2 things are pretty noticeable and maybe we can discuss this things.

1. This Seattle Game was another game the Flyers got outworked on the boards and in the hard work areas of the game. The other game it was pretty obvious was the Flames game. Didnt we hear all the years that this Flyers team will be hard to play against and the Flyers want to go back to their hard nose playing days! They go in front of cameras and say Deslaurier will be the Friend of Mitchkov and such shit. But in reality this team gets crashed most games on the boards. Pretty dirty and hard hits from the opposing team. Flyers hits mostly are Robert Haag hits. But the new Flyers era is fighting for your teammate or yourself. So you need to Fistfight against an opponent with a helmet on, so you can hurt your hand or crash your head on the ice when you fell down.

I dont understand what this shit is all about. Finish your check, play hard, dont get caught on the boards like Konecny and Mitchkov last game. We will loose most of the games when they play like that the whole year.

For me its fake toughness if players fist fight instead of playing hard hockey! The first games we were a weak team! And no i dont think its a problem of size! Frost plays hard and with an edge. Konecny can play that style but he doesnt this season, Foerster is big enough but plays weak, Tippett is big enough but plays weak and so on.

2. We heard for years now, that the team needs more shooter and sniper.

But when i look around with this team the best players are not the shooter. Mitchkov is more a Giroux type player than a Ovechkin. He doesn´t look to shoot first. He wants to pass and to create. The same goes for Morgan Frost. Its funny that this 2 players are our best players in the offensive zone. And the 2 so called "Snipers" Tippett and Foerster cant hit the goal on 30 shots. For me the concept is flawed from the beginning cause the league is so deep nowadays that you dont can dominate the league with your shooting ability. You need a whole team effort to creating chances. And if your "Sniper" are bad at cycling and creating chances you have a weak link in the lineup who is preventing chances from getting created. So i rather have 3 creative players on the ice than 2 creative players and one "Sniper".

Both things are developed in the wrong direction in my view. And its pretty funny cause the Franchise is telling the total opposite!

Reactions: Rich Nixon

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Reading way too much into a grueling West Coast road trip.
Got 3 points, I was hoping for 4, and that's with a bad goalie starting 2 games.

You need a mix of players b/c elite players are just that, and very rare.

So the typical top six line has a playmaker, a shooter and a guy who does the "dirty work," that is, retrieve the puck, CYA on defense, etc. Different skill combinations work, depending on chemistry. Part of chemistry is finding which guys are comfortable on which sides and roles.

The Flyers' biggest weakness are playmaking centers, that can be compensated with a playmaking wing like Michkov or Brink, where the center is a "dirty work" guy like Couts (though he's more the CYA guy, not a mucker).

The second weakness are shooters, they have guys who can snipe, but they lack net front guys with the eye to hand coordination to deflect shots and the size and strength to hold their ground - basically Foerster right now.

The third weakness are defensemen who can control the puck, get it in and keep it in the O-zone, direct traffic and know when to step up. York may be that guy, Drysdale a work in progress. Sanheim really isn't that guy, offensively he's the defense version of Tippett, using speed to make plays but lacks the vision to run the offense.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Reading way too much into a grueling West Coast road trip.
Got 3 points, I was hoping for 4, and that's with a bad goalie starting 2 games.

You need a mix of players b/c elite players are just that, and very rare.

So the typical top six line has a playmaker, a shooter and a guy who does the "dirty work," that is, retrieve the puck, CYA on defense, etc. Different skill combinations work, depending on chemistry. Part of chemistry is finding which guys are comfortable on which sides and roles.

The Flyers' biggest weakness are playmaking centers, that can be compensated with a playmaking wing like Michkov or Brink, where the center is a "dirty work" guy like Couts (though he's more the CYA guy, not a mucker).

The second weakness are shooters, they have guys who can snipe, but they lack net front guys with the eye to hand coordination to deflect shots and the size and strength to hold their ground - basically Foerster right now.

The third weakness are defensemen who can control the puck, get it in and keep it in the O-zone, direct traffic and know when to step up. York may be that guy, Drysdale a work in progress. Sanheim really isn't that guy, offensively he's the defense version of Tippett, using speed to make plays but lacks the vision to run the offense.
Love grueling. Then when the have a bad homestand it will be because they didn't have their legs back from the grueling trip. Give them until the end of November.

Sadly, for a team who has been as bad as the Flyers they have numerous weaknesses.

Reactions: BiggE

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

Not sure "playmaking centers" is their biggest weakness. It's that they are all playing above their stations.

Agree that it's a small sample size, and we'll have a better picture after this stretch of home games and being back on the East coast.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Some early season thoughts:

If Fedotov continues to play like this he will be sent down, contract be damned. Cal friggin Peterson would be an upgrade at this point.

Luchanko needs to be playing Junior hockey. Yeah, he’s good enough to be a 4C right now, but the Flyers are being grossly negligent in his development keeping him here. Let him play top line, all situations for another year in Junior and break him in as the 3C in 25-26.

The D is just bad. York/Sanheim, who are a 2nd pair on a top team, are gonna be burned out by Christmas. Drysdale is useless when the puck isn’t on his stick, and the other 3 currently playing are 6/7 guys. Seeler, if he can get healthy, is a slight upgrade, but it’s not like he’s some all star who will ride in to the rescue.

Tippett has the hockey sense of a baked potato. If he had an even average grasp of how to play game he could be an all star, but he just doesn’t.

Couturier is a 3C at this point and it’s just sad to see. That contract will age like cheese left out in the sun.

Michkov is gonna be an elite superstar, the best player they’ve had since Giroux in his prime. But they are still missing way too many key pieces to be a playoff team, let alone a contender.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Some early season thoughts:

If Fedotov continues to play like this he will be sent down, contract be damned. Cal friggin Peterson would be an upgrade at this point.

Luchanko needs to be playing Junior hockey. Yeah, he’s good enough to be a 4C right now, but the Flyers are being grossly negligent in his development keeping him here. Let him play top line, all situations for another year in Junior and break him in as the 3C in 25-26.

The D is just bad. York/Sanheim, who are a 2nd pair on a top team, are gonna be burned out by Christmas. Drysdale is useless when the puck isn’t on his stick, and the other 3 currently playing are 6/7 guys. Seeler, if he can get healthy, is a slight upgrade, but it’s not like he’s some all star who will ride in to the rescue.

Tippett has the hockey sense of a baked potato. If he had an even average grasp of how to play game he could be an all star, but he just doesn’t.

Couturier is a 3C at this point and it’s just sad to see. That contract will age like cheese left out in the sun.

Michkov is gonna be an elite superstar, the best player they’ve had since Giroux in his prime. But they are still missing way too many key pieces to be a playoff team, let alone a contender.

The way they are handling Luchanko, he’s going to end up closer to the next Malhotra rather than the next Bergeron. He needs to be getting lots of minutes as THE guy in Guelph.

Everyone but the Flyers saw the Couturier contract was a bad idea before it was even signed. Now, they have Tippett and Konecny’s contracts to age in the sun right next to it. Who gives a mid player like Tippett an 8-year deal? They gave him a contract, like he was just pivotal in helping them win a cup.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
The way they are handling Luchanko, he’s going to end up closer to the next Malhotra rather than the next Bergeron. He needs to be getting lots of minutes as THE guy in Guelph.

Everyone but the Flyers saw the Couturier contract was a bad idea before it was even signed. Now, they have Tippett and Konecny’s contracts to age in the sun right next to it. Who gives a mid player like Tippett an 8-year deal? They gave him a contract, like he was just pivotal in helping them win a cup.
#foundational..

thats all u need to know. skill doesnt matter culture is the number 1 attribute they look at

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Frost 18:11
Luchanko 14:36
Poehling 13:00
Couts 12:55

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Maybe its my bad english language or the bad way of describing what i meant. But it seems no one responded on my topic? Maybe someone ive Igored... i dont know

Didnt you guys think that the team gets run over a lot?
Didnt you guys think that our Snipers seems a lot of hot nothing?

Reactions: BiggE

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Maybe its my bad english language or the bad way of describing what i meant. But it seems no one responded on my topic? Maybe someone ive Igored... i dont know

Didnt you guys think that the team gets run over a lot?
Didnt you guys think that our Snipers seems a lot of hot nothing?
Do they get run over a lot? Hard to say, it’s a small sample size and I haven’t seen enough of other games to make a comparison.

Re your other point, who exactly are the snipers? To me, a sniper is a shoot first player who routinely puts up 30+, and in a good season 40+ goals. They don’t have anyone who fits that description.

Potato Head Tippett probably thinks he’s a sniper, as do some of the mouth breathing authentics, but in reality he’s just a guy who skates fast but lacks any playmaking ability or even the most basic hockey sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad