Confirmed with Link: Flyers Great Ryan Johansen Placed On Waivers For Purpose Of Terminating Contract Due To "Material Breach"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So much hostility here guys. Everyone is so tense. One thing I wonder, is if they Term the contract does his cap get removed while he contests or does the money not come off until the the termination is final?

On a separate, but related note, I see some people debating the validity of the Termination/the flyers chances of winning. To those questioning if it will work, I answer with another question : Do you believe it is likely that a millionaire can employ a better legal team than the legal fleet kept on retainer by a monopolistic conglomerate? Follow on question : Do you believe it is likely that said monopolistic corporation did not have their fleet of lawyers review said contract in depth and determined they had built enough of a case to win any possible contention prior to allowing this move to be made?

I'm actually surprised anyone gives a shit about this. Asshole organization treats asshole like the asshole he is. Big deal lol

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
A team in a rebuild should be looking to minimize dead cap in future years, rather than extend it via buyouts.
Flyers are tight this year, have a lot more room next year.
So cap room is more valuable this year.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Well, I also know the people who think dancing at his wedding means he can play NHL hockey are dolts. Different issue.

When The Child gets married, I will ensure the festivities are so strenuous they'll make a triathalon consisting of the Tour de France, a marathon, and a Channel swim look equivalent to a stroll to the mailbox.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
They used cap room (Peterson, Johansen) to obtain high draft picks.
Isn't that what you're supposed to do with excess cap room when you're rebuilding?
Lol but their not high draft picks...sure they did what they are supposed to..but poorly

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
They used cap room (Peterson, Johansen) to obtain high draft picks.
Isn't that what you're supposed to do with excess cap room when you're rebuilding?

But they knew they would be this tight when they made the trade. They took a risk. I would have taken it too. I just wouldn't throw a temper tantrum if it blew up in my face.

They also don't have to dip into LTIR before the season starts if they don't hand out a frankly absurd contract to Fedotov. Now if you want to make the argument that it was worth it, fair enough. But again, they got to make that decision. Now they get to deal with the consequences.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Sometimes. I envy organizations like Toronto, Colorado, Tampa, or Edmonton that get to debate how much it’s worth it to pay superstars to stay on their team. Topics like that.

Instead, we get treated to things like Andrew Macdonald, Kevin Hayes, Sean Couturier, and soon to be Travis Konecny. Ryan Johansen. That’s what the Flyers give you.

Loser franchise. Sigh.

They are going to be lapped by Chicago, Anaheim, and San Jose soon enough. Instead of focusing on why that’s going to happen, this FO feels it’s a more viable way to spend their time - to stick it to Johansen after willingly taking on the contract for assets.

The engine block is cracked, but these idiots are more concerned with the car having being painted a wrong tint of orange.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Weird that he did that when he was too badly injured to play hockey again. :sarcasm:

"Johansen indicated that he would like to make it work and play in the NHL for the Flyers."

"I heard the Flyers were willing to have the conversation. Then came word that Johansen was battling something. So now that is now all on hold," Friedman said.

Friedman speculates that the Flyers would buy out Johansen's remaining contract at the end of the season. This comes into question because, as Friedman states, a player cannot be bought out if he is injured.

What I mean is that the Flyers docs had to sign off on him. He played in Colorado as well.
The Flyers doctors did not examine him before the trade was made. Colorado did not tell the Flyers he was injured. Colorado played him in a game two days before the trade.

Reactions: orangey

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But they knew they would be this tight when they made the trade. They took a risk. I would have taken it too. I just wouldn't throw a temper tantrum if it blew up in my face.

They also don't have to dip into LTIR before the season starts if they don't hand out a frankly absurd contract to Fedotov. Now if you want to make the argument that it was worth it, fair enough. But again, they got to make that decision. Now they get to deal with the consequences.
I think they accepted the risk, but when they made the trade, Johansen had played all 63 games for the Avs, so expecting to be able to buy him out in the summer was a reasonable assessment.

It's one thing to have bad luck (Ellis), but if someone screwed up my plans by defrauding me, yeah, I'd be pretty pissed off, wouldn't you?

The truth is out there!

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
If Johansen is lying, doubt it will have any impact on players' opinion of the Flyers, any more than you'd decide an employer isn't worth working for b/c they caught an employee lying about being disabled on the job.
Whether the Flyers have the right to or not, it's still a bad look for the Flyers to go out of their way to be shitty to a player.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I think they accepted the risk, but when they made the trade, Johansen had played all 63 games for the Avs, so expecting to be able to buy him out in the summer was a reasonable assessment.

It's one thing to have bad luck (Ellis), but if someone screwed up my plans by defrauding me, yeah, I'd be pretty pissed off, wouldn't you?

The truth is out there!

Two major issues here. One, we don't know what the injury was other than some kind of hip problem. Therefore we don't know what the lingering problem chance was.

Second and most importantly, none of that is germane to what they did this summer because they knew going in that he missed the rest of the year. A well-run org communicates the coming buyout in advance of July 1st so they can get a response and be prepared. Either they did that or they didn't. If they knew he was still injured, then it was up to them to make sure they were in a comfortable spot going into the season.

Fitting the pattern of having communication issues is my major problem with the org right now. You have to be able to manage people.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Whether the Flyers have the right to or not, it's still a bad look for the Flyers to go out of their way to be shitty to a player.
If I’m a player, I’m hoping that RyJo has been honest and forthright through this entire situation. The present CBA terms are pretty generous to injured players regarding their treatment. If he’s gaming the system he’s putting the potential rights of any player who gets inured in jeopardy. Ex-Ellis. The Flyers have not been ridiculous with the way that they’ve allowed him to validate his condition in order to qualify for compensation.

Reactions: freakydallas13

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If I’m a player, I’m hoping that RyJo has been honest and forthright through this entire situation. The present CBA terms are pretty generous to injured players regarding their treatment. If he’s gaming the system he’s putting the potential rights of any player who gets inured in jeopardy. Ex-Ellis. The Flyers have not been ridiculous with the way that they’ve allowed him to validate his condition in order to qualify for compensation.

Funny how differently the Flyers treated a guy who was honest and forthright with them about his injuries, as opposed to a guy who had reported no injuries whatsoever, but suddenly sprained his ego when they decided to send him to the AHL.

Reactions: orangey and renberg

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
RJ's conduct doesn't seem that out of the ordinary to what other players have done/do all the time on other teams. My guess is that there exists some "gentleman's agreement" around the league, that both the players and the team not question it too hard when a player says they are injured and both sides leave it at that.

The Flyers chose to draw a line in the sand and play hardball. Do they have that right? Absolutely. But do players around the league have the right to look at the Flyers going hard after someone, and deciding this is a place to avoid? Also yes.

It seems like such a big fuss for the Flyers to kick up, you really have to wonder if it is worth it, especially since they are rebuilding this season and shouldn't be upset over 2.7 million in cap space or whatever it is.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Two major issues here. One, we don't know what the injury was other than some kind of hip problem. Therefore we don't know what the lingering problem chance was.

Second and most importantly, none of that is germane to what they did this summer because they knew going in that he missed the rest of the year. A well-run org communicates the coming buyout in advance of July 1st so they can get a response and be prepared. Either they did that or they didn't. If they knew he was still injured, then it was up to them to make sure they were in a comfortable spot going into the season.

Fitting the pattern of having communication issues is my major problem with the org right now. You have to be able to manage people.
Here is where the situation gets sticky. Someone here is gaming the others. A player has the obligation to report an injury to their club. According to Colorado he never indicated to them that he was hurt prior to the trade. Therefore he was healthy and suitable for a trade. Then once traded to the Flyers and told that he was going to be sent to the minors, he claims to be hurt. The Flyers had the right visa a vis the CBA to make that move.
Things have gone off of the rails since then. Still someone is out of bounds here. Either the AVs traded an injured player to the Flyers which means that the Flyers are due compensation from them or Johansen is misrepresenting his situation. There is little evidence that the Flyers did anything outside of their rights in the CBA. Were they harsh with the player? Sure but at no point were they unwilling to give him his financial due.
We shall see in time who is out of line here but right now Johansen has a real problem. His agent who is already seen in a bad light by some organizations needs to be careful here. This mess has already had a negative impact on three clubs. If he loses this one, his clients may suffer as clubs will refuse to do business with him. His reputation already has cost Buium a higher position in the recent draft.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Here is where the situation gets sticky. Someone here is gaming the others. A player has the obligation to report an injury to their club. According to Colorado he never indicated to them that he was hurt prior to the trade. Therefore he was healthy and suitable for a trade. Then once traded to the Flyers and told that he was going to be sent to the minors, he claims to be hurt. The Flyers had the right visa a vis the CBA to make that move.
Things have gone off of the rails since then. Still someone is out of bounds here. Either the AVs traded an injured player to the Flyers which means that the Flyers are due compensation from them or Johansen is misrepresenting his situation. There is little evidence that the Flyers did anything outside of their rights in the CBA. Were they harsh with the player? Sure but at no point were they unwilling to give him his financial due.
We shall see in time who is out of line here but right now Johansen has a real problem. His agent who is already seen in a bad light by some organizations needs to be careful here. This mess has already had a negative impact on three clubs. If he loses this one, his clients may suffer as clubs will refuse to do business with him. His reputation already has cost Buium a higher position in the recent draft.

Are you perchance a baseball fan? Because we're going on 35 years of people insisting teams won't want to get involved with Scott Boras clients and it having no meaningful impact on his clients getting paid.

Teams pay for talent. Always have, always will. They may prefer dealing with some agents to others. That's not a player's problem.

If Buium fell because of that, it cost him zero dollars. He's locked into an ELC.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
RJ's conduct doesn't seem that out of the ordinary to what other players have done/do all the time on other teams. My guess is that there exists some "gentleman's agreement" around the league, that both the players and the team not question it too hard when a player says they are injured and both sides leave it at that.

The Flyers chose to draw a line in the sand and play hardball. Do they have that right? Absolutely. But do players around the league have the right to look at the Flyers going hard after someone, and deciding this is a place to avoid? Also yes.

It seems like such a big fuss for the Flyers to kick up, you really have to wonder if it is worth it, especially since they are rebuilding this season and shouldn't be upset over 2.7 million in cap space or whatever it is.
If Nashville knew that they had 2.7M in extra cap space, they wouldn’t have had to send draft choices to Pittsburgh to clear cap space

If Nashville knew that they had 2.7M in additional cap space they wouldn’t have shipped Cody Glass and two draft choices in order to get room. RyJo’s fooling around affects Nashville, Colorado and the Flyers.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
But they stated that they had their doctors look and agreed he had an injury..so what is it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad