Proposal: Flyers - Ducks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
:flyersPhiladelphia Acquires: LD Cam Fowler and prospect LD Henry Thrun

:ducksAnaheim Acquires: LW James van Riemsdyk, prospects C German Rubtsov and C Jay O’Brien with a 1st round pick in 2023 (Top 7 protected)

Basically it’s Fowler to Philly for 1st RD pick and long term cap space to Anaheim, also clears up the logjam that’s mounting at LD in Anaheim.

Merry Christmas to all.:xsign::xtree:

Edit: Wanted to add that this proposal would be an offseason move.

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
No, we can't afford to trade Fowler with Lindholm hitting free agency , and certainly not for a winger we don't really need on a long contract, 2 underwhelming prospects, and a middling pick 2 years from now

Reactions: Kalv

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Anaheim can't move Fowler at least until they get Lindholm locked up, and this offer sure as heck isn't going to convince them otherwise. Overwhelming to begin with, and to top it off you have the Ducks add in the best prospect included in the deal?

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
No, we can't afford to trade Fowler with Lindholm hitting free agency , and certainly not for a winger we don't really need on a long contract, 2 underwhelming prospects, and a middling pick 2 years from now
JVR only has 1 more year in his deal after this season while Fowler has 4 more years after this season.

This deal does give cap space to Anaheim after next season, JVR surely won’t be making a 7mil cap hit after next season, JVR will be lucky if he is above 4mil when he negotiates a new contract.

Looking at Anaheim’s contract situation Lindholm, Manson, Rakell, Deslauriers, Milano, Lundestrom and Steel all need new deals after this season and this deal might give enough cap to resign Zegras, Terry, Comtois and Drysdale after next season, that’s a lot of salary hitting Anaheim’s books within the next two seasons.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
JVR only has 1 more year in his deal after this season while Fowler has 4 more years after this season.

This deal does give cap space to Anaheim after next season, JVR surely won’t be making a 7mil cap hit after next season, JVR will be lucky if he is above 4mil when he negotiates a new contract.

Looking at Anaheim’s contract situation Lindholm, Manson, Rakell, Deslauriers, Milano, Lundestrom and Steel all need new deals after this season and this deal might give enough cap to resign Zegras, Terry, Comtois and Drysdale after next season, that’s a lot of salary hitting Anaheim’s books within the next two seasons.
Geeeeeez it’s been that long since he signed his deal? Feels like it was only a year or two ago

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
Provorov - Fowler - Sanheim is some pretty intense LD depth with.... well, nobody on the right side.

But yes, let's help Anaheim relieve of themselves of LD depth I guess?
Fowler and Sanheim can play both sides so Fowler or Sanheim could easily pair with Provorov or be their own pairing.

Anaheim’s LD depth is quite impressive with Lindholm, Fowler, Mahura, Benoit, Larsson, Zellweger, Guhle, Lacombe, Hinds and I mentioned Thrun in the proposal.

Last edited:

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
Anaheim can't move Fowler at least until they get Lindholm locked up, and this offer sure as heck isn't going to convince them otherwise. Overwhelming to begin with, and to top it off you have the Ducks add in the best prospect included in the deal?
Thrun is a fine LD prospect but it is kinda early to tell if he is the best prospect in this proposal. C O’Brien could easily be the best prospect in this proposal but it’s also to early to tell what kinda player O’Brien will be as a pro.

Both kids have several years of college left but if they both pan then it’s a win-win, that’s the risk of this deal I suppose.

If Lindblom re-signs it’s going to be a lot more then what he makes now, I don’t believe Anaheim is going to be able to keep everyone, not with the contract extensions coming up for a lot of important players to the Ducks core within the next two seasons, Zegras’ and Terry’s deals might be quite expensive if they keep up the scoring pace.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
Fowler and Sanheim can play both sides so Fowler or Sanheim could easily pair with Provorov or be their own pairing.

Anaheim’s LD depth is quite impressive with Lindholm, Fowler, Mahura, Benoit, Larsson, Zellwiger, Guhle, Lacombe, Hinds and I mentioned Thrun in the proposal.
Sanheim can't play with Provorov. It's been tried a bunch of times. It doesn't work. Honestly I've never seen anyone work with Sanheim. To add to this thread, York is also on the left I believe.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Anaheim’s LD depth is quite impressive with Lindholm, Fowler, Mahura, Benoit, Larsson, Zellwiger, Guhle, Lacombe, Hinds and I mentioned Thrun in the proposal.

If the Flyers were interested on playing an LD on their offsides they wouldn't have waited to long to move Sanheim, pay to get rid of the player beat capable to play RD despite being LD, and dump a kings ransom of assets on one of the worst defensemen in the league just because he's RH.

This is all relatively moot though, since they're gonna trade Sanheim this offseason and double down on their own stupidity.

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
Sanheim can't play with Provorov. It's been tried a bunch of times. It doesn't work. Honestly I've never seen anyone work with Sanheim. To add to this thread, York is also on the left I believe.
But wouldn’t a
Provorov-Fowler
Sanheim-Ellis
York- RHD FA

put you more at ease, since the current Flyers defense is ass with Yandle and co.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
But wouldn’t a
Provorov-Fowler
Sanheim-Ellis
York- RHD FA

put you more at ease, since the current Flyers defense is ass with Yandle and co.

No. Another band-aid on this team isn't the answer long term. They aren't doing anything this year so it makes no sense to double down. They should be selling at the deadline instead of selling their short term contracts for long term ones.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
Trade is backwards. Flyers needs to be acquiring youth and picks to rebuild while ducks should be adding players to go for a cup run.
You have a point in a sense but if Giroux is traded that should return a 1st and a prospect so it does recoup some of the draft capital the Flyers would be trading if this proposal was realistic.

I mentioned in the OP that this would be an offseason move, going forward a little the Ducks are eventually going to be adding tons of cap to their books as stated before so by adding JVR their cap wouldn’t be as much of a problem when JVR’s contract expires and Zegras’ Terry’s, Drysdale’s and Comtois’ new contracts come into play not to mention the LD logjam at LD if Anaheim does resign Lindholm and if Zellwiger gets a crack at the Ducks roster next season or the season after along with the other defensive prospects that Anaheim has stockpiled.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
You have a point in a sense but if Giroux is traded that should return a 1st and a prospect so it does recoup some of the draft capital the Flyers would be trading if this proposal was realistic.

I mentioned in the OP that this would be an offseason move, going forward a little the Ducks are eventually going to be adding tons of cap to their books as stated before so by adding JVR their cap wouldn’t be as much of a problem when JVR’s contract expires and Zegras’ Terry’s, Drysdale’s and Comtois’ new contracts come into play not to mention the LD logjam at LD if Anaheim does resign Lindholm and if Zellwiger gets a crack at the Ducks roster next season or the season after along with the other defensive prospects that Anaheim has stockpiled.
Even if we’re looking to move some lhd because we have a log jam… not sure thrun and fowler are the ones that get moved first. Zellweger also plays on right side…. So I wouldn’t include him in the log jam.

Nothing in the trade really gives me a reason to make it from an Anaheim perspective

Reactions: Flyer lurker

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
No. Don’t need LHD at all. Need RHD.

Sounds like this trade is a pretty easy no from both sides

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
No. Don’t need LHD at all. Need RHD.

Sounds like this trade is a pretty easy no from both sides
Fowler can play the right side just as easily as the left side, on defense it’s not always gonna be 3 LHD and 3 RHD evenly.

If the Flyers go the free agency route a RHD that’s an outstanding, all-round mobile rearguard comparable to Fowler would cost the Flyers so much more then what has been proposed.

The Flyers also don’t have anyone even remotely close right now that could hold down a 1st pairing RD spot like Fowler could even though Fowler is a left shot, maybe Ellis but he has been mostly injured the last two seasons so it may take Ellis a while to get back to where he was.

I believe both Flyer and Ducks fans could agree Fowler is an exceptional defenseman, but what I don’t understand why some folks undervalue Fowler especially since he can play both sides quite easily.

Fletcher will most likely do something dumb this offseason like giving Ristolainen a big undeserving extension, since he dumped a 1st round pick for him. If I were GM I’d save face and just let him walk. The Flyers should have two 1st round pick in 2022 their own and the one from trading Giroux.

It would be good business to use the 2023 1st round pick to actually fix the defense the right way, while also gaining cap in the short term.

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
Even if we’re looking to move some lhd because we have a log jam… not sure thrun and fowler are the ones that get moved first. Zellweger also plays on right side…. So I wouldn’t include him in the log jam.

Nothing in the trade really gives me a reason to make it from an Anaheim perspective
The Ducks may or may not have a reason to make a trade but the salary cap and Anaheim’s books adding tons of salary within the next two seasons might force Anaheim to make a deal eventually.

The only question that’s left is how does Anaheim afford to resign all of their UFA’s and most of their RFA’s within the next two seasons if they decide to resign Lindholm who is 3 years younger then Fowler?

I am a Flyers fan but I also tried to take an Anaheim perspective of the original proposal, The Ducks are eventually going to run into a cap crunch and the front office knows it, they can either let 27 year old Lindholm walk for nothing since Anaheim is in the playoff picture and probably won’t be trading Lindholm, or the Ducks can trade from a position of strength (LD) and that kinda leaves 30 year old Fowler available for the best return if the Ducks choose to resign Lindholm.

Anaheim could return a 1st round pick for Fowler while getting a short contract in return that brings the cap situation more under control in the long run for the Ducks, while remaining contenders for awhile.

The Ducks could still end of with a very good defense if Fowler weren’t there.

Lindholm-Drysdale
Zellweger-Manson
LaCombe-Shattenkirk

Extras:
LD Mahura
LD Larsson
LD Guhle

If adding JVR, Rubtsov or O’Brien weakens Anaheim’s forward group from a cap perspective in the long run I’d be open to talk about it.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The Ducks may or may not have a reason to make a trade but the salary cap and Anaheim’s books adding tons of salary within the next two seasons might force Anaheim to make a deal eventually.

The only question that’s left is how does Anaheim afford to resign all of their UFA’s and most of their RFA’s within the next two seasons if they decide to resign Lindholm who is 3 years younger then Fowler?

I am a Flyers fan but I also tried to take an Anaheim perspective of the original proposal, The Ducks are eventually going to run into a cap crunch and the front office knows it, they can either let 27 year old Lindholm walk for nothing since Anaheim is in the playoff picture and probably won’t be trading Lindholm, or the Ducks can trade from a position of strength (LD) and that kinda leaves 30 year old Fowler available for the best return if the Ducks choose to resign Lindholm.

Anaheim could return a 1st round pick for Fowler while getting a short contract in return that brings the cap situation more under control in the long run for the Ducks, while remaining contenders for awhile.

The Ducks could still end of with a very good defense if Fowler weren’t there.

Lindholm-Drysdale
Zellweger-Manson
LaCombe-Shattenkirk

Extras:
LD Mahura
LD Larsson
LD Guhle

If adding JVR, Rubtsov or O’Brien weakens Anaheim’s forward group from a cap perspective in the long run I’d be open to talk about it.
I feel like if we want a 1st we can just sell off a rental like Manson/Rakell at 50%

Our cap situation isn’t bad at all right now, even after terry drysdale zegras extend it’s still not that bad….. fowler could be a casualty down the line if zell/thrun show they are ready but that’s still pretty far away…. More likely we move Henrique/silf

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
Rubtsov AND O'Brien??? Wow, how generous.
From an HF perspective some posters value draft positioning even after it no longer matters after players are drafted when the next season starts, but Rubtsov and O’Brien were both drafted in the 1st round and both player still hold some kinda potential and upside, O’Brien more so then Rubtsov.

Rubtsov is an RFA at the end of the season and a fresh start with an organization that actually know how to develop players might bring something out of German’s game that hasn’t been brought out yet, the flashes of talent are there but he hasn’t put it together due to short seasons, injury troubles and very poor management and coaching decisions.

O’Brien is still somewhat of a greenhorn prospect and was always going to be a long term project development. Jay is currently playing his 3rd NCAA season with Boston Univ and it should be expected that O’Brien will stay for a 4th season in college and once O’Brien turns pro he might need another season in the AHL to get adjusted to the pro game, O’Brien just needs to add some strength and consistency to his game or he will have injury trouble against much bigger players and definitely needs playing time since he like every other prospect has been cut short by covy short seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad