Flyers 2017 Training Camp Discussion Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
You guys thinking Ghost will be 3rd pair/top PP, or how do you think he'll do this year overall?

Coach preferred to play Manning, Del Zotto, and Streit 2 minutes more a game ES than him. So yeah probably. But he did play Ghost in top 4 ES minutes the first and last month. Could be some indication he's not wedded to the idea of Ghost as a 3rd pair player and wants to give him more minutes best case scenario. His usage will be up in the air depending on how well he does and if and when the rookies become *ahem* "reliable."

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Also trying to find out if Maxim Lamarche is under contract for LV Phantoms for 2017-18 season.
Lamarche is listed as having a AHL contract on the Flyers training camp roster.

I don't know if Lamarche is on a NHL (PTO) or if Lamarche is returning to the Phantoms/Royals.

Another possibility could be that the training camp roster from 2016 was copyed and pasted the new players were added and Maxim Lamarche's name wasn't removed.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Also trying to find out if Maxim Lamarche is under contract for LV Phantoms for 2017-18 season.
Lamarche is listed as having a AHL contract on the Flyers training camp roster.

I don't know if Lamarche is on a NHL (PTO) or if Lamarche is returning to the Phantoms/Royals.

Another possibility could be that the training camp roster from 2016 was copyed and pasted the new players were added and Maxim Lamarche's name wasn't removed.

He's probably on another AHL deal. Scott Gordon seems to like him whenever he's up with the Phantoms.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
man there is going to be some on this board who are going to be so ****ing unbearable to read there repetitive nonsense over and over again in the GDT and other related threads
cant wait :rolleyes:

Im gonna try my best to tone down my GDT venting :laugh:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Coach preferred to play Manning, Del Zotto, and Streit 2 minutes more a game ES than him. So yeah probably. But he did play Ghost in top 4 ES minutes the first and last month. Could be some indication he's not wedded to the idea of Ghost as a 3rd pair player and wants to give him more minutes best case scenario. His usage will be up in the air depending on how well he does and if and when the rookies become *ahem* "reliable."

Ghost will dictate his usage.

Later in the season he was more responsible on defense, for example, focusing on taking the right angle to take the player away from the front of the net one on one instead of trying to stick check the puck away. He's obviously limited physically, but Ghost has the speed and agiility to be effective defensively if he focuses on fundamentals and positioning instead of trying to strip the puck.

Same on offense, while his injury limited him to some extent, Ghost was often irresponsible with the puck, trying to deke guys with no one behind him at the top of the O-zone and getting stripped for breakaways (which is as bad as Manning trying to pinch and letting the puck get behind him). Part of being an elite offensive player is knowing WHEN to gamble and when to play it safe, the object is to score, but not to help the other team score.

Fans focus on the excitement Ghost brings, but I suspect some of his problems last year came from coaches seeing bad judgment, typical of players who are used to being the most talented player on the ice (college, juniors) and having to adjust to the talent level of the NHL (or why Hextall wants most players to spend at least a full year in the AHL). Ghost didn't get that year of seasoning and it showed last year.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If only Hakstol had praised Ghost like he did the trash players. Then he'd automatically be on the deadhead whiteknight list instead of the opposite where Hakstol critisized him so that means it's time to make things up and exaggerate. :laugh:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Show me the clips of him getting stripped for breakaways.

I am glad you said this because I watched all but 3 games last year and have no memory of this happening let alone multiple times.

I look forward to seeing all the proof that deadhead will bring.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Hab to dump those guys who get stripped at the line no matter what their overall impact is. The worst offenders are the ones who do it in crunch time. I wonder if there are any Holmgren contracts out there waiting to be acquired in exchange.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Im gonna try my best to tone down my GDT venting :laugh:

well I am not trying to pick on anyone man. I just get annoyed when half the GDT is about things Hakstol didnt or did do to annoy people.
We all get what some of his weaknesses are. I just dont think there is a need to repeat it a ton of times every game. Yes I know. It is difficult.
I am just venting on this :sarcasm:

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
I am glad you said this because I watched all but 3 games last year and have no memory of this happening let alone multiple times.

I look forward to seeing all the proof that deadhead will bring.

Yeah, I can't remember that happening either. I probably happened, it happens to every Dman but it's not like it was glaring or anything.

Some of the funniest moments I remember from last year was Provo falling down, lol. It really wasn't his fault, his "partner" would lose possession in the o-zone and Provo was trying to turn and get back to cover the breakaway and he'd just get his feet tangled.

joez86

Jan 20, 2006
Show me the clips of him getting stripped for breakaways.

It happened at least once in his rookie year against Edmonton:

But don't shoot the messenger... I don't feel strongly about either side of this argument. He is only going to get better.

:popcorn:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
That play started in the corner. It did not come as a result of Ghost trying to "deke someone" at the blueline. If anything, he got outmuscled. The Beet man didn't exactly help him out there either.

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Ghost's spirit is willing, but his flesh is weak.

The Beet man didn't exactly help him out there either.

Seriously. He sees Ghost lost his handle on it, so instead of doing anything (anything!) he pulls his patented move of going full vegetable. Either back up to play it safe or start shading to the middle to give some space because when Ghost did get possession, there was MacDonald standing stock still like a doofus on top of him. Guy never moves his feet.

Still chased down one of the best skaters in the NHL to make it a contested chance.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
That was Ghost's worst game of the year too and Edmonton fans were acting like they won the Cup after that one.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Looking forward to any info from anyone that is able to attend!

It's finally here boys!

I have to assume the usual bloggers will be there.

With Charlie being fully credentialed and a full time Flyers writer, I expect he'll be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad