Flyers 2017 Training Camp Discussion Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
If we can get Couturier standing next to Sanheim we should be able to tell if Sanheim is really 6'3" instead of 6'4".

That could just be a sloppy typo, like Lindblom & Rubtsov having a blank space under contract.

Would be hard to say still... since Couturier was measured at 192cm at the combine I believe and is listed at that a lot of places... yet gets listed at 6'3... when 192cm is closer to 6'4 than 6'3. (6'3.6)!

And him and Vinny always seemed very close in height.

Vincent+Lecavalier+Sean+Couturier+yZcTt4BC15Mm.jpg

vincent-lecavalier-and-sean-couturier-of-the-philadelphia-flyers-to-picture-id477905893

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Need to sign him before the Q season begins again. Basically same situation as Myers, except Kosorenkov is a guy who was passed over in 2016 and 2017. He should statistically/on paper been picked at some point both years,

I imagine they will unless he is awful at camp. He has good pedigree, a good skill-set and is likely to be at the WJC for Russia this winter.

Gotcha, so it doesn't have to be any specific kind of deal, he just needs to be signed prior to being sent back to JRs.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
He's the one who was Laberge's teammate correct? I'm sure they got to see him a ton that way.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They may want to see Kosorenkov in camp, get a feel for how coachable he is, and sign him if they like what they see.
He was with the Russian national U-18 squad that got suspended, so there may have been some fallout from that situation.

68g 34-29 63 11 49 in what would have been his post-draft season is respectable, but not an eye opener.

"His play away from the puck will need some help, as he can be a bit lost in the defensive zone and needs to pay attention to the little details more often."

As a guy who's not a top scorer, he probably needs to show the willingness to work on improving the defensive part of his game, since his NHL future would probably be as a bottom six guy. And that might be what they want to see in camp.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There's a handful of kids off that team that got drafted. It was institutionalized with a drug that was just recnetly banned before the team was caught with it in their systems. The drug isn't even illegal in the NHL.

Russian players in general are just undervalued by NHL teams. They're not graded on a similar scale to North American players.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There's a handful of kids off that team that got drafted. It was institutionalized with a drug that was just recnetly banned before the team was caught with it in their systems. The drug isn't even illegal in the NHL.

Russian players in general are just undervalued by NHL teams. They're not graded on a similar scale to North American players.

I think there was a feeling that those players might have had drug influenced performances, which added to the Russian stigma. Not that we mind, Vorobyov is looking like a 4th round steal.

I wonder with older KHL players if there isn't a sense that offensive skills aren't developed, Luby at 25 looked like a player who needed a couple AHL seasons just to develop basic offensive instincts.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think there was a feeling that those players might have had drug influenced performances, which added to the Russian stigma. Not that we mind, Vorobyov is looking like a 4th round steal.

Not really NHL players can be taking it right now with no repercussions. The biggest negative for those kids were that they didn't get an opportunity to showcase themselves in a key scouting event for NHL teams.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah, but there's a Russian training mystique that goes back to the Olympic scandals, it didn't help these kids to be tainted (or to miss a showcase opporyunity).

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, but there's a Russian training mystique that goes back to the Olympic scandals, it didn't help these kids to be tainted (or to miss a showcase opporyunity).

Again not really. Bob McKenzie even said NHL teams weren't really concerned about it. The drug was Meldonium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meldonium

You can see in the first paragraph there that there is debate as to whether it's even a PED.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Again not really. Bob McKenzie even said NHL teams weren't really concerned about it. The drug was Meldonium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meldonium

You can see in the first paragraph there that there is debate as to whether it's even a PED.

You missed the bottom paragraph:

Meldonium was added to the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) list of banned substances effective 1 January 2016 because of evidence of its use by athletes with the intention of enhancing performance. . . . An alarmingly high prevalence of meldonium use by athletes in sport was demonstrated by the laboratory findings at the Baku 2015 European Games.

WADA classes the drug as a metabolic modulator, just as it does insulin. Metabolic modulators are classified as S4 substances according to the WADA banned substances list. These substances have the ability to modify how some hormones accelerate or slow down different enzymatic reactions in the body. In this way, these modulators can block the body's conversion of testosterone into oestrogen, which is necessary for females. Based on the overall effects these drugs have, they have been banned since 2001 from men's competitions and 2005 for women's.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You missed the bottom paragraph:

Meldonium was added to the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) list of banned substances effective 1 January 2016 because of evidence of its use by athletes with the intention of enhancing performance. . . . An alarmingly high prevalence of meldonium use by athletes in sport was demonstrated by the laboratory findings at the Baku 2015 European Games.

WADA classes the drug as a metabolic modulator, just as it does insulin. Metabolic modulators are classified as S4 substances according to the WADA banned substances list. These substances have the ability to modify how some hormones accelerate or slow down different enzymatic reactions in the body. In this way, these modulators can block the body's conversion of testosterone into oestrogen, which is necessary for females. Based on the overall effects these drugs have, they have been banned since 2001 from men's competitions and 2005 for women's.

I didn't miss it. I am aware it's banned by WADA thus why they got in trouble in the first place.

That's just one governing body though. It's not a banned substance in the NHL & other governing bodies thus why there is debate amongst whether it classifies as a PED or not. WADA obviously thinks it is, other governing bodies don't.

So why would NHL teams care about a substance that they don't find to be worthy of putting on their banned substance list?

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Barring anything extreme happening, am I the only one who thinks Hexy knows damn well approximately what the roster will look like? I don't really buy that a few practices and exhibition games will truly determine the roster. He knows these kids and what they can do. As long as each one shows up in shape and plays like themselves, the roster is pretty well set in his mind. He knows overanalyzing preseason minutiae isn't the way to go.

I truly believe unless one of the kids falls on there face AMac will be sent packing to Allentown. Myers as well to gain pro experience.

FTW!
Provorov - Hagg
Sanheim - Gudas
Morin - Ghost
Manning

3 rookies, one 2nd year and one 3rd year player one defense??? I highly doubt that will happen. Take out one of the rookies and add back in AMac and I think that's entirely plausible

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Stolarz out indefinitely with a meniscus tear.

Damn that sucks for him. He was the leader in the clubhouse for goalie of the future, but if he is out for a long time and has a tough time recovering (don't know about injuries, but ligament tears in knees of a goalie would seemingly be something of a concern moving forward).

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
They could have taken him at #199 this year, but they traded that pick for a 2018 7th to Montreal, and the Habs took Cayden Primeau.

https://www.capfriendly.com/draft/2017

Could have and probably should have. Still don't get it. Instead of rushing a decision now, they would have had all season to evaluate. And hell, as a 7th round pick, he'd still have been in camp to evaluate.

I want him signed, even with this log jam of forwards. But they could have waited for likely bounce back years from Victoriaville's key players and further development in his 2nd year in NA. Lots of good players see a sizable jump in that 2nd year, even as a D+2. I like Janne Kuokkanen and he only put up 62 in 60 on London in his D+1 as a 2nd rounder. Now he's going to the AHL, but he would've been someone else I'd bank on making a leap. Then you have guys like Rakell and Victor Rask who never made any statistical jump. They're OK. But they could have seen him all year, and if he puts up *does the math* 200 goals and 400 points, he would've been an easy sign. Now they have to rely on more projection.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
On the bright side, signing a legit prospect without using a draft pick is nice.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
3 rookies, one 2nd year and one 3rd year player one defense??? I highly doubt that will happen. Take out one of the rookies and add back in AMac and I think that's entirely plausible

Do you want Amac in the line-up? If no, then why suggest it? It's the preseason, 82-0, & then 16-0, or GTFO out.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If they drafted him with the second 4th rounder I wouldn't have been opposed. But for the slim likelihood of a 7th round pick hitting, I think it would've made sense value-wise. It seems like they are probably signing him and knew they would from the get-go, so it's mostly whatever.

On a side note, what is it with Hextall trading late round picks for future late round picks that net zero value gain? 2nd year in a row with the 7th rounder to Montreal. Like if a team wants your 4th rounder or 7th rounder for a future pick, can you not spin a 4th+5th or 6th/7th+7th? I don't get it :laugh:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Damn that sucks for him. He was the leader in the clubhouse for goalie of the future, but if he is out for a long time and has a tough time recovering (don't know about injuries, but ligament tears in knees of a goalie would seemingly be something of a concern moving forward).

Debatable.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
On a side note, what is it with Hextall trading late round picks for future late round picks that net zero value gain? 2nd year in a row with the 7th rounder to Montreal. Like if a team wants your 4th rounder or 7th rounder for a future pick, can you not spin a 4th+5th or 6th/7th+7th? I don't get it :laugh:
Yeah that bugged me too. At least put some conditions on the pick. In theory that 7th rounder could could come a year late and several spots further back. Goes against the whole time value of draft picks. :laugh:

I guess he was just dead set on trading the picks and that's the best he could do.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
"Rise" out of the summer ready for hockey, "grind" through another boring season and "repeat" not making the playoffs? So inspiring to fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad