Fluto: The best 5 cities to see the Bruins on the road

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Montreal resident here, so I think I can have a neutral take on this bizarre Boston/Philadelphia debate.

Boston is a beautiful historic city, with amazing schools, entertainment, restaurants etc etc. I also found the people of Boston to be very kind and helpful.
The one knock I have on it is that it felt like a 48 square kilometer city, and not a 134 square kilometer city. I'm like I can't breathe here....oh wait, then I drove through those invisible barriers and enjoyed the suburbs even more.

Philadelphia on the other hand seemed like a gigantic dumpster fire. Perhaps it has to do with being trapped in terminal F for 2 days while airport staff not qualified to clean toilets antagonized thousands of angry travelers.

Seriously though...driving into Philadelphia...ugly industry blotting out the sky line. Walking downtown...there's like 1 nice street for every 4 crack streets...I guess everyone has their preference.

Philadelphia is not the worst place in the world...for instance, it's not Aleppo, but it's not Boston by any stretch.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Montreal resident here, so I think I can have a neutral take on this bizarre Boston/Philadelphia debate.

Boston is a beautiful historic city, with amazing schools, entertainment, restaurants etc etc. I also found the people of Boston to be very kind and helpful.
The one knock I have on it is that it felt like a 48 square kilometer city, and not a 134 square kilometer city. I'm like I can't breathe here....oh wait, then I drove through those invisible barriers and enjoyed the suburbs even more.

Philadelphia on the other hand seemed like a gigantic dumpster fire. Perhaps it has to do with being trapped in terminal F for 2 days while airport staff not qualified to clean toilets antagonized thousands of angry travelers.

Seriously though...driving into Philadelphia...ugly industry blotting out the sky line. Walking downtown...there's like 1 nice street for every 4 crack streets...I guess everyone has their preference.

Philadelphia is not the worst place in the world...for instance, it's not Aleppo, but it's not Boston by any stretch.

WOW...Nice post

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Philadelphia is a fine city but it very tribal and quirky.

A few years ago a TV station wanted to change its news theme and after one day of protests it switched back.

How big is that news theme? When somebody is on the Tonight Show with a Philly connection, The Roots play it as the person walks on stage.

One thing I have learned over the years is Philly people don't relocate. They stay in the area and vacation for them is the Jersey Shore.

Bruins1233

Apr 30, 2016
Philadelphia is a fine city but it very tribal and quirky.

A few years ago a TV station wanted to change its news theme and after one day of protests it switched back.

How big is that news theme? When somebody is on the Tonight Show with a Philly connection, The Roots play it as the person walks on stage.

One thing I have learned over the years is Philly people don't relocate. They stay in the area and vacation for them is the Jersey Shore.

people say the same about Boston, it is a city where a billboard for an oil company has landmark status, and most people don't venture beyond the Connecticut River unless they are going to Six Flags.

Girouxtiful

Jul 17, 2012
Hey guys! Just reaching out to say that, as a current Philadelphian who has spent a lot of time in Boston, I think some of you would benefit from a trip to Philly. It's become an amazing place to visit, especially in the last 5 years. The most well-known spots (Rocky steps, Liberty Bell, etc) are what they are, but if I was making a list of things-to-do here (especially for a visiting fan), they wouldn't be the first things I'd include.

As for the games, I can tell you that our fans are generally no worse than every other stadium in a major hockey area - Boston included. The vast majority of fans are just there to watch a game - visiting fans shouldn't expect anything more than the standard, harmless ribbing that you'd get anywhere else. Sure, we have our outliers (and we don't like them either), but who doesn't?

Basically, as a proud transplant here, I wanted to encourage everyone to check out what Philly is today. I think you'll like it more than you expect. If you and your family/buddies/whomever want to take a trip down there, the Flyers board has a great visiting fan thread to answer your questions.

LGF.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Hey guys! Just reaching out to say that, as a current Philadelphian who has spent a lot of time in Boston, I think some of you would benefit from a trip to Philly. It's become an amazing place to visit, especially in the last 5 years. The most well-known spots (Rocky steps, Liberty Bell, etc) are what they are, but if I was making a list of things-to-do here (especially for a visiting fan), they wouldn't be the first things I'd include.

As for the games, I can tell you that our fans are generally no worse than every other stadium in a major hockey area - Boston included. The vast majority of fans are just there to watch a game - visiting fans shouldn't expect anything more than the standard, harmless ribbing that you'd get anywhere else. Sure, we have our outliers (and we don't like them either), but who doesn't?

Basically, as a proud transplant here, I wanted to encourage everyone to check out what Philly is today. I think you'll like it more than you expect. If you and your family/buddies/whomever want to take a trip down there, the Flyers board has a great visiting fan thread to answer your questions.

LGF.

I went to one game in Philly years ago. It was fine . One girl yelled and swore at us but everyone else was fine. I was there with my daughter and we wore our B's garb. We were sitting right behind the B's bench and did not try and start any trouble.

I have been a STH in Boston for over 15 years. I go to almost all home games.

IMO the very worst visiting fans at the Garden have been the Flyer's fans. They come drunk and yell and swear at the B's players and fans. They spill beer on others and are just rude I am sure there are some nice Flyer's fans but maybe they don't go to away games.

You seem nice so I am sorry and don't mean to offend you but I call it as I see it.

IMO the best visiting fans are the Toronto fans .

Back to the topic...List of arenas I hope to visit for a B's game:

Arizona
Chicago
Calgary
Carolina
Edmonton
Montreal
Ottawa
Pittsburgh
Vancouver
Winnipeg

Last edited:

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I went to one game in Philly years ago. It was fine . One girl yelled and swore at us but everyone else was fine. I was there with my daughter and we wore our B's garb. We were sitting right behind the B's bench and did not try and start any trouble.

IMO the very worst visiting fans at the Garden have been the Flyer's fans. They come drunk and yell and swear at the B's players and fans. They spill beer on others and are just rude I am sure there are some nice Flyer's fans but maybe they don't go to away games.

You seem nice so I am sorry and don't mean to offend you but I call it as I see it.

Arizona
Chicago
Calgary
Carolina
Edmonton
Montreal
Ottawa
Pittsburgh
Vancouver
Winnipeg

Funny, the Leafs fans used to drive me nuts.

(Also: Hi Susan!)

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
As someone who lived in NJ for 25 years....I have been to Philly probably 50 times....The nice parts and the **** parts (kensington etc)

I've been to the Spectrum, Wells fargo etc...Seen probably 15 games in Philly..

I've had good and bad...mostly bad especially in the balcony seats....Their fans are loud, obnoxious, drunk and if your wearing a Bruins or whatever visiting team garb the fans will definitely give you a ton of ****, sometimes the whole section....It can be a very hostile environment at times. It never stopped me from going to games as I have a thick skin but I can see families not wanting to be in that kind of environment with kids with loud drunk frat boys talking **** to you all game especially if your losing...

I like the city of Philly a lot tho...but yeah it is dirty...but its a great city with a lot of history and charm. Some great food...

I've sadly only been to games in NY, NYI, PHI and NJ...

MSG sucks...horrible arena...

The PRU is nice tho..

Thankfully I live in BOS now and can see the Bruins at home

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Look everyone - Boston and Philadelphia have been cats and dogs going back to when Ben Franklin left Boston for Philly almost 300 years ago.

But 3 1/2 years ago when our city was shaken, Flyers fans were there for us. That can NEVER be forgotten.

That night the Flyers dedicated the 50/50 raffle to the One Fund Boston and it was the largest jackpot they have ever had.

Right behind them was Montreal.

and New York

and many other cities

And if anything horrible happens in the future in those cities or anywhere else we will be in the front of the line to offer support.

That is what good people do.

As someone who lived in NJ for 25 years....I have been to Philly probably 50 times....The nice parts and the **** parts (kensington etc)

I've had good and bad...mostly bad especially in the balcony seats....Their fans are loud, obnoxious, drunk and if your wearing a Bruins or whatever visiting team garb the fans will definitely give you a ton of ****, sometimes the whole section....It can be a very hostile environment at times. It never stopped me from going to games as I have a thick skin but I can see families not wanting to be in that kind of environment with kids with loud drunk frat boys talking **** to you all game especially if your losing...

I like the city of Philly a lot tho...but yeah it is dirty...but its a great city with a lot of history and charm. Some great food...

The PRU is nice tho..

Last edited:

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Look everyone - Boston and Philadelphia have been cats and dogs going back to when Ben Franklin left Boston for Philly almost 300 years ago.

But 3 1/2 years ago when our city was shaken, Flyers fans were there for us. That can NEVER be forgotten.

That night the Flyers dedicated the 50/50 raffle to the One Fund Boston and it was the largest jackpot they have ever had.

Right behind them was Montreal.

and New York

and many other cities

And if anything horrible happens in the future in those cities or anywhere else we will be in the front of the line to offer support.

That is what good people do.

You are right...and Boston would do the same for any of those cities.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

The PRU is nice tho..

Last year on the Saturday after Thanksgiving I attended the biennial Red Hot Hockey matchup at MSG between BU and Cornell. We sat in Row 18 at the red line, and while I love this trip and always attend the Rangers matinee to make it a doubleheader, the sightline from our seats strangely wasn't great. I guess it's simply because MSG is a big round hockey puck with a rink wedged inside. They can renovate the seats and concourses and whatnot, but the viewing angles are still a bit off.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
You are right...and Boston would do the same for any of those cities.

100%

Moments like that are where you see people shine..

But on the normal day to day...things are different..in every arena...and there will always be drunk ********** in the balcony.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
100%

Moments like that are where you see people shine..

But on the normal day to day...things are different..in every arena...and there will always be drunk ********** in the balcony.

Not JUST in the balcony.

Some B's fans behave bad as well.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014

Arizona
Chicago
Calgary
Carolina
Edmonton
Montreal
Ottawa
Pittsburgh
Vancouver
Winnipeg

Not much atmosphere in Ottawa...

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Arizona
Chicago
Calgary
Carolina
Edmonton
Montreal
Ottawa
Pittsburgh
Vancouver
Winnipeg

Funny, when I was a Whalers season ticket holder that's exactly what Hartford fans said about Bruins fans. Saw a Bruins fan get thrown out of a playoff game during warmups. He fell on someone getting to his seat and landed on his own whiskey bottle.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Funny, when I was a Whalers season ticket holder that's exactly what Hartford fans said about Bruins fans. Saw a Bruins fan get thrown out of a playoff game during warmups. He fell on someone getting to his seat and landed on his own whiskey bottle.

As a lifelong Boston sports fan, people are really showing their bias and kidding themselves if they don't think Boston fans can be pretty bad.

Can we overtake Philly? No. But Boston fans can get pretty ****ing obnoxious. All part of the experience for a hometown fan, though.

As annoying as the visiting Habs fans can be, Bruins fans can be straight up rude and ruthless back. And, in no way, am I saying I am absent from that activity...

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
As a lifelong Boston sports fan, people are really showing their bias and kidding themselves if they don't think Boston fans can be pretty bad.

Can we overtake Philly? No. But Boston fans can get pretty ****ing obnoxious. All part of the experience for a hometown fan, though.

As annoying as the visiting Habs fans can be, Bruins fans can be straight up rude and ruthless back. And, in no way, am I saying I am absent from that activity...

You are correct. I have seen B's fans behave bad.

I have met some nice Hab fans. There are fewer from Montreal now than there were 10 years ago. They used to come in bus loads and drink al the way to Boston. Once at the Garden they were looking for trouble and there were plenty of B's fans willing to join in.

It is usually fun to meet fans from other teams. Like I said the Toronto fans are great. Chicago too. I have met nice Buffalo fans.

I love meeting B's fans from far away. Last game there was a family from Alaska.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
You are correct. I have seen B's fans behave bad.

Back in the late 70's I was in a large German beer hall in Montreal after a Bruins game when a full scale brawl broke out. The oom pah pah band kept playing as chairs and tables were being thrown and fights everywhere.

Montreal fans watched with bemusement as the fight was between kids from South Boston and Charlestown. Somebody yelled 'Southie *****' and all hell broke loose. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad