Fluto: The best 5 cities to see the Bruins on the road

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

IwanttomoveoutWest*

I don't know what Fluto's criteria are, but...... Philadelphia? It has an outstanding Museum of Art (now, even a Rocky statue). But after you see the Liberty Bell and try a cheese steak, what is there?

Philadelphia is just like Boston, so I'm not sure why you're shocked by it. Tons of history, great restaurants, culture, sports, universities, museums, etc.

Center City Philadelphia offers more than downtown Boston does and it's much bigger.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Nashville is a lot of fun, and for those of us that are used to seeing a game in a downtown area, makes it very convenient to get around and to bars/restaurants before and after.

Raleigh is an underrated spot, IMO. Great downtown area, and while the arena is a bit outside the city, all of the bars offer shuttles to/from the game. Also, since the arena is next to the NC State football stadium, if you are driving, you can tailgate which is a bonus.

The arena itself is quite nice, they sell giant beers, and the place smells like smoked meats. Tons of Boston transplants. What's not to love?

Bruins1233

Apr 30, 2016
I wasn't thrilled with Buffalo. Got some pretty rude treatment from the fans.

Jersey's arena is incredible but the area is not.

Pittsburgh is first class all around.
I'd be shocked, at least out in Rochester, were people still love the Sabres and Bills, I have never gotten any comments when watching a Bills/Pats or a Bs/Sabres game on TV.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010

Road tips for hockey fans won’t leave you shorthanded

• Montreal
  • Chicago
  • Vancouver
  • New York City
  • Philadelphia

Good list. Montreal should be a bucket list item for any Bruins fan. No other venue comes close.

Chicago is excellent and plenty of cheap flights if you book ahead. The arena is 2 miles west of the Loop but plenty of buses, cabs and Ubers make it easy.

Vancouver is worth the trip. Best option from Boston is fly into Seattle and then drive ( 2 to 3 hours depending on border delays)

New York is New York

The only drawback to Philly is you need to be on best behavior and be respectful of the Flyers and their fans. If not you WILL have problems.

I have been to 4 of the 5 (never been to Vancouver) and I would say it is pretty accurate, I may substitute Toronto for Philly.

I saw a pre season game in the Spectrum in 88 and it was a classic pre season game between the Bruins and Flyers, 8 fights, plenty of cheap hits and an aggressive Philly crowd. We were right behind the Bruins bench so it wasn't too bad, but I was very happy my mens league team wore Flyers jersey's because that is what I wore that night. Didn't have any problems and the people beside us were great, similar appreciation for the game.

Bruins Uncensored

frmrly Scotiahockey
Feb 16, 2003
Nova Scotia
I have one word. PHOENIX.

Its a great venue, cheap tickets, cheap parking (free) and by far the best weather in the league and the crowd is always 40% + Bruins fans. The cheering back and forth between fan bases is really fun.

I've also been to Boston, Montreal, Philly, NJ, Toronto, Tampa Bay, NYR and NYI venues to watch the Bruins. Phoenix is my favorite.

You are in NO danger, beer is about half of what you pay in Boston.

For you fanatics you can even wait outside the team hotel and talk to the players when they walk over to the rink.

Westgate (the shopping and restaurant area that the arena is located within) is great for pre-game and fantastic for post-game.

If Fluto had ever been here, he'd have it on the list.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I have been to both Vancouver and Montreal but not to games. Both are on my "list"

So far I have been to games (some more than one) at Philly, Wash DC, San Jose, LA, Anaheim, Nashville, Fla (both arenas) Toronto and Prague in 2010.

Liked all. I think Toronto was one of the best.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Philadelphia is just like Boston, so I'm not sure why you're shocked by it. Tons of history, great restaurants, culture, sports, universities, museums, etc.

Center City Philadelphia offers more than downtown Boston does and it's much bigger.

IMO Boston is a nicer city.

IwanttomoveoutWest*

IMO Boston is a nicer city.

Philadelphia is three times the size of Boston.

Boston de-industrialized 20 years before Philadelphia, so it had a head start on gentrification and has done a better job of limiting it's more impoverished neighborhoods.

Philadelphia has neighborhoods just as nice as Boston does, no less. Arguably better. You just need to see more of the city. There are gorgeous leafy residential areas all over Philadelphia. Within city limits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Boston de-industrialized 20 years before Philadelphia, so it had a head start on gentrification and has done a better job of limiting it's more impoverished neighborhoods.

Philadelphia has neighborhoods just as nice as Boston does, no less. Arguably better.

I have been there...I think Boston is nicer . I am not talking about the size.

IwanttomoveoutWest*

I have been there...I think Boston is nicer . I am not talking about the size.

Appearance isn't everything.

Regardless, you're comparing a city that is 48 square miles to a city that is 134.

Bruins1233

Apr 30, 2016
Regardless, you're comparing a city that is 48 square miles to a city that is 134. Philadelphia has more nice parts than Boston does.

Yes, and if Boston was 134 sq miles, Places like Cambridge, Brookline, Newton, and Somerville would be within city limits.
The Boston area is much nicer than Philly, I say this as someone who lives in Rochester, NY.

IwanttomoveoutWest*

Yes, and if Boston was 134 sq miles, Places like Cambridge, Brookline, Newton, and Somerville would be within city limits.
The Boston area is much nicer than Philly, I say this as someone who lives in Rochester, NY.

Not sure what being from Rochester has to do with it. I'm from Utica.

Philadelphia is just as nice as Boston is.

Philadelphia having more bad areas doesn't take away the fact that it's nicer areas are just as nice as Boston's.

I have lived in both cities. I would probably know a bit from experience. Boston has 20 years on Philly in terms of gentrification. It's limited it's poorer areas better. Doesn't take away Philly's nice parts though. West Mount Airy is gorgeous.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Philadelphia has neighborhoods just as nice as Boston does, no less. Arguably better. You just need to see more of the city. There are gorgeous leafy residential areas all over Philadelphia. Within city limits.

The city itself is larger because like New York and Chicago they annexed all the nearby cities and towns which Boston never did. You can find working farms in Northeast Philadelphia.

The Philadelphia subway might be the worst in the world. It is disgusting.

Philadelphia got a huge boost when Comcast went all in with their HQ's downtown and now you are seeing old working class neighborhoods like Fishtown becoming trendy.

IwanttomoveoutWest*

The SEPTA isn't that different than the T in appearance. Never heard of Philly's subway being disgusting, but then again, most metros in the US aren't noted for their appearance, especially the MTA. The SEPTA does offer late night service though, and the T doesn't. You can at least use the SEPTA on a night out, reliably. MBTA basically says you're ****ed.

I've lived in both cities. Philly is a very misunderstood place. It's got some of the best neighborhoods in the country, and some of the worst, but it doesn't make it any less of a fantastic city.

I hate it when some people go somewhere and base the entire city off of a very small part of it.

Boston is very nice overall, but it doesn't make it the best necessarily either. Some parts appear almost sterile.

Center City is more vibrant than downtown Boston.

Last edited by a moderator:

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
The SEPTA isn't that different than the T in appearance. Never heard of Philly's subway being disgusting, but then again, most metros in the US aren't noted for their appearance, especially the MTA. The SEPTA does offer late night service though, and the T doesn't. You can at least use the SEPTA on a night out, reliably. MBTA basically says you're ****ed.

I've lived in both cities. Philly is a very misunderstood place. It's got some of the best neighborhoods in the country, and some of the worst, but it doesn't make it any less of a fantastic city.

I hate it when some people go somewhere and base the entire city off of a very small part of it.

Boston is very nice overall, but it doesn't make it the best necessarily either. Some parts appear almost sterile.

Center City is more vibrant than downtown Boston.

Did you create an account to come on here and defend Philly/**** on Boston?

I mean what the **** is happening here?

Nobody gives a ****.

Oh, and Boston never had a commercial touting itself as a "baby New York," and named the chief reason to visit as eating cheesesteaks.

Have some ****ing self respect Philadelphia!

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
The only drawbacks of Philly and Chicago are the arenas being surrounded by acres of parking lots. I would recommend a Saturday night game in Toronto, and even Nashville, while not traditional, is a fun location, from what I've heard. In the past, I've received comments from Chicago fans complimenting the rail access to our arena. A section of Chicago's El actually runs just east of the United Center, but doesn't stop there.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N...e9daa0!8m2!3d36.1626638!4d-86.7816016!6m1!1e1

Agreed about Toronto. Fans are cool there. Except the dude who told me lots of good pubs on Church Street. "Not that there's anything wrong with that." hahahaha

:laugh:

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Nobody gives a ****.

Oh, and Boston never had a commercial touting itself as a "baby New York," and named the chief reason to visit as eating cheesesteaks.

:D I like EverettMike :) :handclap:

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010

Nobody gives a ****.

:handclap::yo:

IwanttomoveoutWest*

Nobody gives a ****.

Clearly you do to comment and rag on Philadelphia.

And yes, because Philadelphia is the only city on the East Coast with an inferiority complex with New York. Boston doesn't. At all. No. Never.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Here's a bright idea, let's make an account, go to the home board of a major city in the US that is known for being incredibly proud, and tell them how ****** their city is in comparison to other cities across the country. I'm sure it will go over well!

-Amirite, approx. 10:40 AM EST

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Nobody gives a ****.

:D I like EverettMike :) :handclap:

Next time I go to a game in South Philly I want Mike alongside of me :laugh:

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Clearly you do to comment and rag on Philadelphia.

And yes, because Philadelphia is the only city on the East Coast with an inferiority complex with New York. Boston doesn't. At all. No. Never.

None of us give a **** that you think Philly is better.

Even if it "has...a lot....a lot of culture."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad