Fluto: The best 5 cities to see the Bruins on the road

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Road tips for hockey fans won’t leave you shorthanded

• Montreal
  • Chicago
  • Vancouver
  • New York City
  • Philadelphia

Good list. Montreal should be a bucket list item for any Bruins fan. No other venue comes close.

Chicago is excellent and plenty of cheap flights if you book ahead. The arena is 2 miles west of the Loop but plenty of buses, cabs and Ubers make it easy.

Vancouver is worth the trip. Best option from Boston is fly into Seattle and then drive ( 2 to 3 hours depending on border delays)

New York is New York

The only drawback to Philly is you need to be on best behavior and be respectful of the Flyers and their fans. If not you WILL have problems.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

Road tips for hockey fans won’t leave you shorthanded

• Montreal
  • Chicago
  • Vancouver
  • New York City
  • Philadelphia

Good list. Montreal should be a bucket list item for any Bruins fan. No other venue comes close.

Chicago is excellent and plenty of cheap flights if you book ahead. The arena is 2 miles west of the Loop but plenty of buses, cabs and Ubers make it easy.

Vancouver is worth the trip. Best option from Boston is fly into Seattle and then drive ( 2 to 3 hours depending on border delays)

New York is New York

The only drawback to Philly is you need to be on best behavior and be respectful of the Flyers and their fans. If not you WILL have problems.

Which is why it should not be on the list. How can it be one of the best cities to go see the Bruins when you are at risk of dealing with a bunch of knuckle draggers.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Which is why it should not be on the list. How can it be one of the best cities to go see the Bruins when you are at risk of dealing with a bunch of knuckle draggers.

Since Fluto doesn't sit in the stands he might not be aware of how touchy it can get. It is a great city to visit. Personally I would have had Washington at #5.

Nashville is a great place to see a game and there is much to do. I also give Los Angeles and Tampa high marks.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
The only drawbacks of Philly and Chicago are the arenas being surrounded by acres of parking lots. I would recommend a Saturday night game in Toronto, and even Nashville, while not traditional, is a fun location, from what I've heard. In the past, I've received comments from Chicago fans complimenting the rail access to our arena. A section of Chicago's El actually runs just east of the United Center, but doesn't stop there.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N...e9daa0!8m2!3d36.1626638!4d-86.7816016!6m1!1e1

Last edited:

Vdub

Live Free or Die
Dec 21, 2013
Loved the feel and vibe of Staples Center in Los Angeles. The walk up was georgeous! The concourse balcony on a warm sunny evening is great.
Honda Center in Anaheim is beautiful on the outside with lots of Palm trees. The atmosphere inside is a little less to be desiried in comparison to Staples.
Rexall Place was a hole but a great atmosphere inside.
Loved the Old Forum in Montreal and the old Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto.

The old Winnipeg Arena was scary seating wise. Very steep towards the top and you had to be careful regarding how many beers you had :laugh:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The only drawbacks of Philly and Chicago are the arenas being surrounded by acres of parking lots. I would recommend a Saturday night game in Toronto, and even Nashville, while not traditional, is a fun location, from what I've heard. In the past, I've received comments from Chicago fans complimenting the rail access to our arena. A section of Chicago's El actually runs just east of the United Center, but doesn't stop there.

The owners of the arena ( both the old Stadium and the present UC ) blocked the CTA from building a station there because they owned the parking lots.

Comfort Eagle

Feb 28, 2008
Southeastern,MA
Say what you want about the old Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum on Long Island, but I loved the old feel of the place. Reminded me of the old Garden with the close quarters. I've also been to Montreal several times and agree it is an amazing place to take in a game. My youngest son(10)wants to go to Arizona for a game as he's somehow a 'Yotes fan. Seems the tix are cheap there if nothing else. I've never been to AZ either so may have to get this done.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
I've been to Chicago for the beat down last season and an planning on going again this year. Hoping to also get ny or Montreal in this season as well. Wish there were better Saturday night games. Also hoping to get a devil's and nyi game just because of distance and i can crash at friend's places

Bruins1233

Apr 30, 2016
Buffalo is fine. It is worth driving to Niagara Falls if you have never seen it.

The Sabres built a huge sports bar next to the arena which is amazing.

http://www.harborcenter.com/716foodandsport/about/
I'm actually out in Rochester these days, so I have plenty of opportunity to see Niagara falls, if any of you travel out to Buffalo, I would recommend going to Letchworth State Park, weather permitting, its about 45 mins east of Buff, hit it on the way back.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I don't know what Fluto's criteria are, but...... Philadelphia? It has an outstanding Museum of Art (now, even a Rocky statue). But after you see the Liberty Bell and try a cheese steak, what is there?

Agree on Chicago and New York, except for MSG. Toronto is a nice, cosmopolitan city with the HOF and a diverse culture.

I would also add Denver. Beautiful city, out-of-town friendly people, laid back. Rockies in the background.

I like Tampa, too. Nice weather, downtown walk-to arena, good restaurants (Colombia, my favorite).

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I don't know what Fluto's criteria are, but...... Philadelphia? It has an outstanding Museum of Art (now, even a Rocky statue). But after you see the Liberty Bell and try a cheese steak, what is there?

Agree on Chicago and New York, except for MSG. Toronto is a nice, cosmopolitan city with the HOF and a diverse culture.

I would also add Denver. Beautiful city, out-of-town friendly people, laid back. Rockies in the background.

I like Tampa, too. Nice weather, downtown walk-to arena, good restaurants (Colombia, my favorite).

Philly is easily the most overrated city I've ever been to.

One of my friends lived there for four or five years and the best thing he had to say was, "I mean, it's really dirty. But I kind of like dirty."

Bear Town Shaker

May 6, 2015
One arena which may fly under the radar is the Prudential Center in New Jersey. For what you pay for good seats in Boston, you can get outstanding seats there. From a strictly viewing standpoint its very hard to beat. If you want to grab a bite, Dinasaur BBQ is fairly nearby.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
One arena which may fly under the radar is the Prudential Center in New Jersey. For what you pay for good seats in Boston, you can get outstanding seats there. From a strictly viewing standpoint its very hard to beat. If you want to grab a bite, Dinasaur BBQ is fairly nearby.

The Pru is a great arena with a great crowd that's very friendly to B's fans. The concessions are way better than the Garden, the staff is much friendlier and pumps the crowd up and as noted, lines of site are amazing.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Since Fluto doesn't sit in the stands he might not be aware of how touchy it can get. It is a great city to visit. Personally I would have had Washington at #5.

Nashville is a great place to see a game and there is much to do. I also give Los Angeles and Tampa high marks.

I second the Nashville nomination. Particularly since I live about 20 minutes northeast of there. ;) Wish the Predators were in the eastern conference so they played the Bruins more than twice.

PrisonMike

Nov 26, 2007
McKinney,TX
Did the Three California team trip last year, and San Jose was the best atmosphere out of all three. Very loud and great fans. I am doing St.Louis and Nashville in January this year. I have heard great things about Nashville, can't wait

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Toronto seems like it would have been a good choice to add, if only for the city and the HHOF. I mean, I'm sure tickets are overpriced and whatnot, and I have no idea about the amenities of the arena - although IIRC, I did notice their scoreboard is very nice, with screens both on the inside AND the outside, and with "who's on ice/TOI" data on the board at all times. And I do sort of think of Toronto as the hockey capital of Canada. (Sorry, other six cities.)

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
After seeing the opening of Rogers Place in Edmonton last night that is one arena I definitely want to go see a game in. The place looks absolutely amazing!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
loath the team, can`t stand their fans but for my money, there isn`t a city that I`ve been to on game day where the vibe comes close than being in Montreal and when Mrs Odaat and I travel, one important aspect is activities/sights to see when were not watching hockey.

Montreal is a beautiful city, love Chicago too. Looking into a trip to Nashville for 2017, and planning a trip finally back to Boston in the new year as well, been too long

pfaffi89

Nov 4, 2010
Düsseldorf, Germany
I will be in Toronto for the first time in November. Excited to finally watch hockey in Canada.
I loved the feeling of Nassau Coliseum, too. It felt a bit like a minor league game to me, but I was lucky to experience that "old NHL-feeling" there.

Chicago and Vancouver are definetly on my must-do-list.

Killer B

Honey Badger don't care
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
When I travel to see the Bruins, I generally make a mini vacation out of it. Because
of that, I personally love going to places that offer a number of things. Stadium
location (safe area, walking distance to hotels, bars 7 restaurants), respectful fans,
affordable ticket prices, etc.

Some of my favorites...

Nashville
Columbus
St Paul
Tampa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad