Speculation: Florida's pick - Watch thread - (Upon request, thread title change lol)

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
FLA got rid of a LOT of futures last year. If they continue on the trend they are on - they could be sellers just to start recouping some draft picks including a 1st in this years draft if nothing else.

If they have any half decent chance at a wildcard spot tho they’ll go for it - boom or bust.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'd take Carlsson 2nd over Fantilli.
Can you expand on that — what has caused Carlson to leapfrog Fantilli right now? Of course, so much can still happen before final rankings are in.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Can you expand on that — what has caused Carlson to leapfrog Fantilli right now? Of course, so much can still happen before final rankings are in.
Based on the small amounts I've seen and reading more avid prospect watcher posters here, IQ seems to be a concern of how Fantilli can transition his game to the pros. Carlsson seems to be very comfortable in a men's league and does not seem to display the same hockey IQ concerns.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
They don't have their 1st. There's no way they sell.

I don't see them selling either. But if they're not in playoff contention by the TDL, I don't see them being buyers, either. They had injuries this year so they might use that as a reason to ride things out and start again next year.

They might get rid some pendings UFA's like Eric and Marc Staal.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
KK also had a strong Liiga season that year, so U18 wasn't the only measurement of him.

AK didn't just do well at u18s he freaking dominated. He put up almost 3 pts per game on a terrible Belarusian team. The Russian team had both Malkin & Ovechkin on it, and he out performed both.

However, that performance followed a strong WJC performance at 17, which is also rare. It's a 19 year old tournament. He also played for Belarus at the World Championship that year.

It was more than one tournament.

Sometimes players have great draft years then fizzle.

Exactly.

What's more impressive just looking at stats:

10 goals 19 assists in 57 Liiga games

or

3 goals 11 assists in 25 SHL games

To top it off Kotkaniemi was 7 months younger during his draft year

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I don't see them selling either. But if they're not in playoff contention by the TDL, I don't see them being buyers, either. They had injuries this year so they might use that as a reason to ride things out and start again next year.

Nobody wants the Staals though. Eric was washed two years ago with us and hasnt been in the league since.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Fla rode a hot start and career years by unknown assets coming out of nowhere - Duclair didn’t all of a sudden learn “how to play hockey” to become a 30G scorer….

Habs Cup finals wasn’t a flukey run, their MVP simply played like one, in fact Price played like his stats suggest the best playoff goalie (sv %) since 2013 w minimum 25GP
It's weird that you bring Duclair. The guy is injured and has not played one game.

I'm puzzled some guys think the Panthers will sell. There's 0 chance Panthers are seller unless they get a 1st round pick for a guy on an expiring contract that they are 100% sure they wont resign.

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Ah the good old sunk cost fallacy, something humans tend to do even though they shouldn't.

If they think there's a guy that they can move that won't adversely affect competing then sure they'd probably do that. Duclair comes to mind.

But, they don't really have much to move to begin with & making moves that makes them worse this year just so Montreal can get a higher 1st round draft pick makes no sense at all.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
If they think there's a guy that they can move that won't adversely affect competing then sure they'd probably do that. Duclair comes to mind.

But, they don't really have much to move to begin with & making moves that makes them worse this year just so Montreal can get a higher 1st round draft pick makes no sense at all.

It's about getting assets to retool over the next couple years. collecting assets earlier means they played sooner.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Florida could end the evening 23rd in the league, which would be a 10thOA pick.
At some point I wonder if some team picking at the top (3-6?) is tempted to trade down for the 2x hab picks at the draft. We can start imagining habs actually targeting a few guys right up there… Gee I sure hope nothing happens to their other knees…

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

I think Gudas will be sought after if he's healthy... that guy is a beast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad