Post-Series Talk: Florida Panthers defeat the Edmonton Oilers 4-3, and are your 2024 Stanley Cup Champions!

Catscountry40

Feb 4, 2021
US fans are used to not having their pro sports team attached to you a country. It is more simply you hate my team and I hate yours.

It is cool for the rivalry, but I do not take much pride in the whole "Florida teams have been in the last 5 SCF.''

I hate TB.

If Boston Bruins where playing North Korea in a game I would probably root for North Korea.

I hate Boston and do not give a crap they in America.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Miami has fans, if the team is good and the community embraces it they will support it. The Marlins when they were competitive, the Heat always brings a crowd and are one of the most stable NBA franchises in the past 30 years. The Dolphins have a massive fan base in Miami and outside the city and state.

People frown on South Florida as a sports market, they are as good as anyone else.
The only ones who are complaining are the 'well they don't deserve the cup cause the fans don't care' nonsense from the archaic Canadian sports media.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
US fans are used to not having their pro sports team attached to you a country. It is more simply you hate my team and I hate yours.

It is cool for the rivalry, but I do not take much pride in the whole "Florida teams have been in the last 5 SCF.''

I hate TB.

If Boston Bruins where playing North Korea in a game I would probably root for North Korea.

I hate Boston and do not give a crap they in America.
Ya.

That's the dumb thing about Canadian sports media.

Edmonton plays in the finals. They try to skew the coverage as if every Canadian suddenly loves Oilers wanting them to "bring the cup back home to Canada" like those Rogers TV ads pump out. So even corporations jump on the train.

Dont get me wrong, there's going to be some Canadians who will cheer for the cup to come here. Pretty sure most of my friends (I think all except one is an Oilers fan) arent hyping it. My brother whose a Habs fan, I follow Leafs, my best buddy likes Hans and Ottawa, my west coast buddies who have followed Canucks forever..... I dont think any of us except the Oilers buddy cares who won.

But TSN and Sportsnet try to make it look like the entire nation is backing Oilers to beat USA Florida.

Weird media people.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Panthers can't Handle McDrai
Colin Campbell
Bettman
Dan O'Rourke
Ice was bad, wait for us to get back on home ice
Colin Campbell (part 2)
REVERSE SWEEP INCOMING
MCDAVID BETTER THAN GRETZKY
Colin Campbell (part 3)
The ice was bad again.
Whatever, the arena was 80% Oilers fans, anyway.
Bettman got what he wanted.
Your team has no fans
Your team's fans aren't as good as our fans
The Cup would have way more fun in Edmonton <----------- YOU ARE HERE
Sunbelt Cup = salary cap won't go up enough to save my team from its past management mistakes.

Last edited:

FinPanda

Barkov Stanley cup champ!
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Of course Florida won't have as many fans as Canadian teams since they don't have the history of Canadian NHL teams and because hockey is not the majority sport in the US. I hope this win will bring more kids to play hockey in Southern Florida. Who knows how much interest the team will have during the next couple years because of this success. The cup is excellent news for Southern Florida.

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
How tf does Luongo get a day with the Cup, ultimate participation trophy lmao.
He works in Fla front office, and is a franchise all time great that carried the franchise on his back in the south east division days. He used to single-handedly keep them in games, he definitely stole a few goals from Ovie back in the day. Let him enjoy it.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
It was 8:30 in AM on Tuesday and they went there unannounced. Look at this.

Just like Barstool you like to grab certain photos or videos to push a narrative.

Honestly, we need to move more hockey markets south. Better fans, better for players, and travel.

Youth hockey is dying in Canada anyways. You guys have cricket on the rise though.

Houston Oilers would be a major win for hockey.

Edmonton still has some old man beer leagues they can all go cheer for.
nah, Canadian teams are revenue generators and are the engine the drives the league (for the most part)
more hockey in the south= less revenue and smaller cap

Aug 3, 2021
Panthers can't Handle McDrai
Colin Campbell
Bettman
Dan O'Rourke
Ice was bad, wait for us to get back on home ice
Colin Campbell (part 2)
REVERSE SWEEP INCOMING
MCDAVID BETTER THAN GRETZKY
Colin Campbell (part 3)
The ice was bad again.
Whatever, the arena was 80% Oilers fans, anyway.
Bettman got what he wanted.
Your team has no fans
Your team's fans aren't as good as our fans
The Cup would have way more fun in Edmonton <----------- YOU ARE HERE
Don't forget that cup in the south = less revenue and smaller cap as well

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
nah, Canadian teams are revenue generators and are the engine the drives the league (for the most part)
more hockey in the south= less revenue and smaller cap

Seven out of the top ten revenue producing teams in 2023 were American.

Each year only something like 10 to 11 teams contribute to revenue sharing and the rest receive those funds.

You're deeply misinformed.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's rather annoying when some people especially the O6 teams and Canadian teams throw the smaller market or warmer climate teams under the bus or say they are not a real hockey market.

I've been to Anaheim and Tampa games, and those fans were more passionate than when I was at MSG for the Rangers.

It was also nice paying like half the price for a ticket.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Seven out of the top ten revenue producing teams in 2023 were American.

Each year only something like 10 to 11 teams contribute to revenue sharing and the rest receive those funds.

You're deeply misinformed.
can't read the link cause you need to log in...but 4 of the 7 Canadian franchises MASSIVE revenue generators

and you're also forgetting in the Canadian TV deal signed by Sportsnet in 2013 which involves Canadian teams (and the renewal in 2026 will probably be bigger than the one signed by ESPN/TNT)
fewer Canadian teams= smaller TV deal

• Haha
Reactions: bdub24

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
can't read the link cause you need to log in...but 4 of the 7 Canadian franchises MASSIVE revenue generators

and you're also forgetting in the Canadian TV deal signed by Sportsnet in 2013 which involves Canadian team (and the renewal in 2026 will probably be bigger than the one signed by ESPN/TNT)
Valuations and revenue generation aren't the same thing.

You said more non-Canadian teams are bad for revenue and the league. That's factually incorrect.

I switched the link so you can review yourself.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
I said "more hockey in the south"...meaning in the south of the US

and I stand by that...the revenue generated by most Canadian teams in the upper half of the league (Calgary will get there with a new arena IMO) and not to mention the residual effects of having a new Canadian TV deal (which you failed to mention)
In 2023, 12 of the top 16 revenue producing teams were American. So yes that's true, but American teams are still doing the heavy financial lifting in the league.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

I get the notion that we improved every year under Holland.. but I wouldn't credit him with much here.

Drai already here
McD already here
Nurse already here (and not at 9.5)
Bouch already here
McLeod already here
RNH already here

His big additons were Ek and Hyman which is exceptional work but we are talking over 5 years.
Draft upcoming has no picks
Almost no promising prospects coming up (only 2 playing for us are Bro and Hollo and they are not full time yet, but may be soon!)

Just my 2 cents but good riddance

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
LA Kings and Devils ranked way higher than I would had thought in both links. And so is Washington. But Colorado ranked lower than I would had guessed.

But both links prove most of the biggest teams in rev and valuations are US based. Heck, New Jersey is ranked higher than Vancouver in both.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
because there's more teams
(3 of the top 5 are Canadian btw)
No kidding.

But no matter how you want to slice it the NHL doesn't exist in the way it does without American teams and adding more US franchises isn't a drain on NHL finances.

I mean, you don't want more teams in the "south" yet Vegas is already eighth in the league in revenue in 2023. And based on prior seasons (top 10 to 11 give, the rest take) they are now sharing revenue with four! other mighty Canadian franchises (Flames, Jets, Canucks, Senators).

Qualify it however you want, but my point remains. You're deeply uniformed.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad