Florida Panthers defeat the Edmonton Oilers 4-3, and are your 2024 Stanley Cup Champions!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Btw. I have no idea about the Oilers cap situation, contracts etc. but I could see them pulling a Panthers and being in the finals again next year. Got a bit similar vibes as with the Panthers last season - too many guys too far off 100% and maybe just not ready. Kudos to them for making a series out of it but losing 3 in a row to start it was just too much.

I'm sure all teams are banged up in the finals and none are feeling too great, but looking at Panthers, they sure seemed healthier than they did last year in the finals. Also back then it felt like they had to squeeze out everything they got to be there - even though they swept CAR :D I posted it somewhere after the Tampa series this season that the Panthers didn't seem nearly as intense as last season and almost gave the vibe they sort of cruised through the series and that they'd be very scary if that's indeed true and they have extra gear or two. Turns out they did, seemed like whenever it started to look like they are getting tested, they just stepped up and were never in trouble - at least before the finals, but even there they got back to their game and got the job done when their backs were against the wall.

Oilers cap situation has been improving the last couple of years... even two-three years ago you'd have circled next year as the best cap foundation for a deep run... almost all of our dead cap will be off the books.

This summer we have the chance to gain some more: $3.9 by buying out our AHL goalie, $3.3 by trading our worst defender in Ceci, $2.75 in Foegele off the books, last year with Drai at $8.5, last year with Bouchard at $3.9, only Holloway, Broberg, Janmark, Brown and Henrique from our core need to be resigned... none of whom can/will command big coin. Kane, who more or less couldn't play in the finals is the big decision... can he be healthy and a leading playoff scorer as he was for us in 2023 and 2022, or is age taking it's toll (in which case we can trade and use that $5M on someone younger)... that's probably the biggest judgement call for the new IGM this summer.

We can essentially run it back... hopefully we start the season on time and can earn home ice.

I think your point about Florida last year vs this year is an important one. Last year they were 8th seed and ran out of gas... this year 1st seed and as you say seemed healthier. Injuries (as unfortunate as they are) are not excuses... health is earned by home ice advantage, closing series earlier and having the depth to spread the burden on more players rather than rely on a few.

That was the difference between this year's cats and last years... each year the oilers have been moving in that same direction... hoping the parallels continue next year.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I think your point about Florida last year vs this year is an important one. Last year they were 8th seed and ran out of gas... this year 1st seed and as you say seemed healthier. Injuries (as unfortunate as they are) are not excuses... health is earned by home ice advantage, closing series earlier and having the depth to spread the burden on more players rather than rely on a few.

Yeah exactly. Also last season Panthers had that one game vs the Canes which went to 6th or 7th OT. While they had plenty of time to rest before the finals, I wouldn't be surprised if plenty of players had strains etc. to nurse from that game alone, injury risk must go through the roof when you're pushed that far. Also the long layoff seemed a double edged sword, felt a bit like they had too much time off and kinda lost the momentum.

I'm sure having that experience and better understanding on what it takes to win helped them. Not saying they were exactly holding back earlier rounds this year but knowing in the back of your head that the biggest trial is the finals and your goal is getting the 4th win in that series must help with focus and not getting overextended before that.

I think Kane being healthy would've been big for Oilers, he might be a dividing personality to put it nicely but I think it's fair to say he's shown to be a gamer with the Oilers. One other thing, maybe the rest of the Oilers grew out of McDavid's shadow a bit over the course of their run, at least I can imagine seeing that comparing the team in the finals vs VAN for example. Less of "always try to get the puck to your superstar" and more of "hey, I have ton of space because my superstar is drawing 3 guys to him, maybe I can do something interesting with this" :)

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
1000018617.png

So uh how does this work?

Is it the same six fans and lots of mirrors?

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Nugent Hopkins was quite underwhelming in the Final IMHO
RNH career stats are around a 60 pt player, with one giant year last year.

If he doesn't get fed pucks or get second assists from McD or PP he's arguably the most invisible high profile player on the team. IMO, dont get fooled by his decent pt production.

Last year's 104 pts is a perfect example. He got tons of PP pts. This year, Bouchard broke out as a PP stud pushing RNH to the side. RNH's stats dropped like a rock.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Tell your wife to stop stalking your HF posts

Hey, my wedding day was awesome! (she's on the couch BTW)

This Will never get old

How cool was that team before the start of their biggest game played ever. This played a huge role in the game IMO.

You had the Panthers who were relaxed and joking, and then you had the Oilers, who were feeling the effect of playing for the Cup for the first time. They now had to experience the flying of the friends and family out, and the pressure of winning a game for the Cup.

The Panthers already experienced that, and you can see it from the jump, as they were playing Panthers hockey, like Games 1-3.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Tell your wife to stop stalking your HF posts
I’ve watched the last 10 seconds at least 500 times.

“The Florida Panthers have won the Stanley Cup!”

Aside from my wedding day, it’s the greatest day of my life.
Second??

Must be a newlywed. Let us know when you you reassess

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
As a neutral fan, I was really hoping for a different outcome. The "Best player in the world carries his team from 0-3 to 4-3" story would be so much better than this. And the fact that the Panthers team is full of unlikable characters doesn't help either. Still, nothing to do about this now. Congrats Florida fans.
Thanks. For nothing. Get bent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad