Post-Series Talk: Florida Panthers defeat the Edmonton Oilers 4-3, and are your 2024 Stanley Cup Champions!

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Regardless of who you're a fan of, I think we can all agree that Panthers winning was the worse outcome for the hockey world.

Stopped what would have been arguably the greatest comeback/chokejob in the sports history, and kept the 30+ year cupless Canada streak going.

Congrats to the Panthers fans enjoying this win, but it pales in comparison to an entire nation celebrating.
What is this insane drivel? Calgary is celebrating just as well.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Regardless of who you're a fan of, I think we can all agree that Panthers winning was the worse outcome for the hockey world.

Stopped what would have been arguably the greatest comeback/chokejob in the sports history, and kept the 30+ year cupless Canada streak going.

Congrats to the Panthers fans enjoying this win, but it pales in comparison to an entire nation celebrating.
Nope. Gretzky leaving the Oilers was also better for the game.

catnip

Jan 5, 2015
Half the people professing this outcome to be the worst thing ever are doing it sarcastically.

The other half are, unfortunately, being serious about it because they've somehow deluded themselves into thinking that they're better and more knowledgeable fans - and thus more deserving of winning stuff - by virtue of residing within the same area code as some big-market team that used to be good a few decades ago. The latter group is basically why I want non-traditional, relatively obscure teams to keep winning cups from here to eternity.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024

Not every hockey fan in Canada has homer syndrome.

Edmonton losing just hurts all Oilers fans and big time Sportsnet/TSN/Canadian media as they always drive the patriotic homer rhetoric where it's always Canada first in hockey. And out of the Canadian teams that made the playoffs, they all jumped on the Oilers bandwagon day one. You can tell because even when it was Oilers vs Canucks (two good western Canadian teams), you'd think it's be equal coverage. Nope. There is no way anyone can say watching Sportsnet telecasts that the entire game coverage and post game talk werent biased for Edmonton winning. It was like Vancouver was treated like a random small market US team.

You're falling into the trap of Canadian sports media's biased focus on Canadian NHL teams assuming every person drools over Senators, Oilers, Jets etc.... over let's say recent soccer tournaments or Celtics winning. Or fans who like US NHL teams.

Florida winning helps the team and hockey world more than McDavid winning a cup since Oilers and McDavid already get basically unlimited hype jobs from the media and TV ads already. You cant really get more out of the team or player.

Catscountry40

Feb 4, 2021
Because Miami-Ft. Lauderdale is not a great sports market to begin with tbh. Not because of hockey.
South Florida ia a great sports market. People up north keep telling you its bad because they are straw man losers who have always hated on S.Fla because out of the major cities our teams are not as old as the Boston, NY,DC, Chicago.
There are Edmonton writers on twitter now saying "The Cup would have more fun in Edmonton"

Our cities do events and big celebrations better than anyone. I have never bought the "our fans show up even when bad" please. Go watch a Mets game when they are 15 games under .500. Or a Cleveland Browns game when they 3-12 in December.
All I hear is how hardcore and loyal Buffalo fans are.....go look at the Sabers attendance.

If Heat fans leave a game early down 10 with 90 seconds left it leads ESPN the next day. When Boston fans do it the narrative is "the team must be better for the fans.''

South Florida does have a ton of transplants, but that is not the franchises fault.

It always cracks me up when there are Rangers fans in the arena talking about how great NY sports are when they legit got out of NY to go somewhere else.

Please tell me how great of cruise the Titanic was when you got on a lifeboat and split.

Catscountry40

Feb 4, 2021
It was 8:30 in AM on Tuesday and they went there unannounced. Look at this.

Just like Barstool you like to grab certain photos or videos to push a narrative.

Honestly, we need to move more hockey markets south. Better fans, better for players, and travel.

Youth hockey is dying in Canada anyways. You guys have cricket on the rise though.

Houston Oilers would be a major win for hockey.

Edmonton still has some old man beer leagues they can all go cheer for.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
It was 8:30 in AM on Tuesday and they went there unannounced. Look at this.

Just like Barstool you like to grab certain photos or videos to push a narrative.

Honestly, we need to move more hockey markets south. Better fans, better for players, and travel.

Houston Oilers would be a major win for hockey.

Edmonton still has some old man beer leagues they can all go cheer for.
A lot of people have this silly viewpoint Canadian fans are the biggest loudest NHL fans.

It goes to show they dont watch out of town telecasts because I find the loudest rowdiest fans who act like true hardcore fans from watching Dallas, Carolina, Blackhawks and other US games.

In comparison, Canadian team arenas as a whole are boring and quiet as hell.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
A lot of people have this silly viewpoint Canadian fans are the biggest loudest NHL fans.

It goes to show they dont watch out of town telecasts because I find the loudest rowdiest fans who act like true hardcore fans from watching Dallas, Carolina, Blackhawks and other US games.

I will give Oilers fans credit because they are the loudest, most diehard, consistent Canadian fans in the league.

But yes, a lot of US crowds are quite underrated.

Catscountry40

Feb 4, 2021

Yea, it is amazing how little hockey Canadian fans watch.

I remember last year many Northern fans in this form saying they were not going to watch the cup. Because it was Fla vs VGK.

Yet in the same breath they say southerners are bandwagon fans who only watch when their team is winning.

Catscountry40

Feb 4, 2021
I will give Oilers fans credit because they are the loudest, most diehard, consistent Canadian fans in the league.

But yes, a lot of US crowds are quite underrated.
Na they need to move to Houston. A pro sports league can not have a town that you need to ride a moose to get into.

Houston will have just as loud fans.

Reactions: bdub24

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio

I remember last year many Northern fans in this form saying they were not going to watch the cup. Because it was Fla vs VGK.

Yet in the same breath they say southerners are bandwagon fans who only watch when their team is winning.
Someone on HF said that Canadians saying they wouldn't watch the Eastern and Western Conference Final because it was Dallas Vegas and Florida Carolina are just "_______ team fans" and not real "hockey fans". The post talked about Canadians not actually loving the sport, only loving it as a form of faux nationalism that they get insecure about when their idealistic view of hockey is threatened or challenged. I will say that while harsh, it wasn't wrong either.

Reactions: 647Hockey

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I love how these keep getting posted as a knock on Panthers fans. Those are literally videos taken at 10 am at an unannoucned party at a bar on the beach. Within 20 minutes the area was packed with fans. Everywhere the cup goes, a mob of people show up 20 minutes later.

Here's last night at a club that announced the cup was coming hours before. Absolutely packed.

Line down the street just to see Tkachuk. No cup.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024

The loudest arena I've been to in person is Carolina. Dont get me wrong, I've only been to a handful of arenas.... old and new Leafs, and Habs arenas, Vanc, Ott, Pitt, old Chicago arena, both old and new Detroit arenas, You got a lot of giant legacy teams and stadiums here.

The loudiest was Carolina. My buddies and I couldnt believe it as it was our only time watching a Canes game live in Raleigh.

Catscountry40

Feb 4, 2021
Someone on HF said that Canadians saying they wouldn't watch the Eastern and Western Conference Final because it was Dallas Vegas and Florida Carolina are just "_______ team fans" and not real "hockey fans". The post talked about Canadians not actually loving the sport, only loving it as a form of faux nationalism that they get insecure about when their idealistic view of hockey is threatened or challenged. I will say that while harsh, it wasn't wrong either.
No, you can see it with the old beat writers who seem to exist to just take shots at other franchises.

If you want to grow the sport Bettman need to stop credentialing these people.

You need people that embrace a growing league not spending all AM on twitter looking for photos to push a narrative and take shots.

I love how these keep getting posted as a knock on Panthers fans. Those are literally videos taken at 10 am at an unannoucned party at a bar on the beach. Within 20 minutes the area was packed with fans. Everywhere the cup goes, a mob of people show up 20 minutes later.

Here's last night at a club that announced the cup was coming hours before. Absolutely packed.

Line down the street just to see Tkachuk. No cup.
And if anyone knows anything about that club it is expensive to get in and drink.

I thought about going but decided not spend nearly 500 bucks to still end up sober enough where I could drive home.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
No, you can see it with the old beat writers who seem to exist to just take shots at other franchises.

If you want to grow the sport Bettman need to stop credentialing these people.

You need people that embrace a growing league not spending all AM on twitter looking for photos to push a narrative and take shots.
I like listening to Overdrive (TSN) and Real Kyper and Bourne (Sportsnet) from time to time, but it's quite cringy how they basically put down most US teams in the league, especially ones in the Sunbelt.

I guess most of them just want the Canadian Cup era (1976-1993) to be back where Canada hogs the Cup for the most part while most US teams were run by idiots/impatient management. Once expansion happened, the rise and spread of information (including hockey) via technology, and better people were hired down here, that era wasn't coming back. Gotta adapt and adjust.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
I like listening to Overdrive (TSN) and Real Kyper and Bourne (Sportsnet) from time to time, but it's quite cringy how they basically put down most US teams in the league, especially ones in the Sunbelt.

I guess most of them just want the Canadian Cup era (1976-1993) to be back where Canada hogs the Cup for the most part while most US teams were run by idiots/impatient management. Once expansion happened, the rise and spread of information (including hockey) via technology, and better people were hired down here, that era wasn't coming back. Gotta adapt and adjust.
I find Canadian sports media as a whole very similar in that even for national broadcasts they all got this inane Canada vs USA or Canada vs Russia mentality. I can understand anyone listening to a homer based regional or city broadcast getting biased views or amped up homer Jack Edwards play by play (I think he's a great entertaining commentator like the late Rick Jenneret and I dont even care about Bruins or Sabres).

On the other hand, watch a nationwide telecast from ESPN or TNT or NBC Sports where it's a US team playing a Canadian team in sports, and you dont get USA homer syndrome where it's a USA vs Canada vibe. It's weird.

I think some it comes down to Canada as a whole weak in sports. Dominant in hockey and curling. But not too good at other sports. So media and patriotic people cling to these sports to their hearts in a super serious way.

Lighten up people. I follow and enjoy watching Toronto sports teams the most. But doesn't mean I can't watch other teams, or have to cheer for Calgary to beat Boston just because one team is Canadian. Maybe that night I just prefer watching NYR vs NYI, or Golden State is playing that night and want to watch Curry drain 3's.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I find Canadian sports media as a whole very similar in that even for national broadcasts they all got this inane Canada vs USA or Canada vs Russia mentality. I can understand anyone listening to a homer based regional or city broadcast getting biased views or amped up homer Jack Edwards play by play (I think he's a great entertaining commentator like the late Rick Jenneret and I dont even care about Bruins or Sabres).

On the other hand, watch a nationwide telecast from ESPN or TNT or NBC Sports where it's a US team playing a Canadian team in sports, and you dont get USA homer syndrome where it's a USA vs Canada vibe. It's weird.

I think some it comes down to Canada as a whole weak in sports. Dominant in hockey and curling. But not too good at other sports. So media and patriotic people cling to these sports to their hearts in a super serious way.

Lighten up people. I follow and enjoy watching Toronto sports teams the most. But doesn't mean I can't watch other teams, or have to cheer for Calgary to beat Boston just because one team is Canadian. Maybe that night I just prefer watching NYR vs NYI, or Golden State is playing that night and want to watch Curry drain 3's.
Canadian media forgets that plenty of Canadians cheer for US teams. Including in hockey. Tons and tons of Bruins and Red Wings fans in Canada. Plenty of Penguins, Avalanche, Sabres, Blackhawks, & probably other US team fans in Canada as well.

Reactions: 647Hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad